PDA

View Full Version : Got the Bug

Madterryk
Feb-11-2013, 7:45pm
Pretty sure almost everyone in this community either has or has had the exact same bug... I hear mandolins in almost every song. It could be Sawyer Brown, The Dropkick Murphys, Guy Clark, or even Offspring (ok maybe that is a stretch....)

I've played guitar for over sixteen years and currently alternate between a 12 and 6 string- depends on what I feel like doing. For about a year now I've wondered what it would be like to play a mandolin and I've heard different things. I do know one thing- I am going to try it.

I've had guys at Guitar Center and Bizarre Guitars here in Reno try to sell me on the ready to play mandolin kits. After looking at the forums I decided those might not be a good idea.

So a couple of questions-
1. I see a lot about professional setup- what exactly does that mean?

2. How different is playing a mandolin from a six or twelve string guitar? Most of my favorite guitar work involves licks and finger picking (Long Haired Country Boy, Can't You See, Copperhead Road).

3. I've been perusing the Mandolin Hut, musicians friend, and a few other online sites. I live in Reno and so far not a lot of info or places with a lot of choices for Mandolins. Mandolin Hut seems like the best overall deals but does anyone else have some suggestions?

Figure if you made this far through my short wall of text you are either very patient or helpful or both. It is pretty obvious to me I don't have too much of an idea of what I am getting into.

I have had two recommendations so far. Mom says don't do it LOL. My daughter sits on my lap and says "we can play that Daddy." My heart says the four year old may have the most wisdom here.

Thanks all.

shortymack
Feb-11-2013, 9:20pm
Reno? Folk Musician is your place. Robert is da' man, give him a ring and ask all the questions you desire.

Do not let MF, GC or any other place that may advertise a better price fool you, setup is very important, especially for a beginner. Robert, along with Brian at TMS are two of the best. FM is in Reno so call him and take a trip over to his shop and see if possible.

allenhopkins
Feb-12-2013, 4:45pm
1. "Pro set-up" is pretty important, especially for the first mandolin -- which is likely to be a less-expensive instrument, often purchased from one of the high-volume on-line sellers (who don't do set-up, as a rule). Since the mandolin bridge is "floating" -- i.e. it is not glued to the top, but held on by the pressure of the strings -- it has to be properly fitted to the curvature of the top, and located so that the notes "up the neck" play in tune. Since the bridge also is often height-adjustable, it needs to be properly set to give good playing action without buzzing. The nut needs to be checked to make sure the slots are the right depth, and also to ensure the strings don't bind in them when they are tensioned up to pitch. And the truss rod needs to be checked to make sure it gives the proper amount of "relief" -- slight concave curvature -- to the neck.

All of these are actions the owner can learn to do him/herself, but they aren't commonly necessary for acoustic guitarists to perform. Folkmusician.com (http://www.folkmusician.com/) is at 770 Smithridge Drive in Reno, and would be an excellent place to discuss these matters with you -- as well as having a large stock of mandolins in a wide price range. I'd definitely contact Robert there before ordering on-line.

2. Mandolin is different from guitar in a variety of ways; you can finger-pick it but that's not the standard technique, which involves flat-picking. I find that mandolin is more linear than guitar; you stay on a string longer before moving to the next string, since it's tuned in 5ths, not 4ths-and-a-3rd like guitar. You emphasize melodies more than chords, you play in a significantly higher range, you can learn fewer chord shapes because the strings are at uniform intervals from each other, you use techniques like tremolo that are less often used on guitar. But -- the first instrument's always the hardest, and the things you know about chord relationships, harmonies, rhythms etc. on guitar will help you on mandolin.

3. See #1 above; start with your local guy. I always tell purchasers that having a good local connection, for purchase, accessories, repairs, trade-ins, lessons, advice, etc. is very valuable. You may pay a few dollars more here or there, if you don't spend your time searching the internet for the lowest possible price, but it's worth it, IMHO.

Folkmusician.com
Feb-13-2013, 1:58pm
I live in Reno and so far not a lot of info or places with a lot of choices for Mandolins.

Hehe... I have done absolutely no advertising locally and we are back in a small business center behind Trader Joe's, so not a lot of people know we are in Reno. We have put very little effort into the showroom and I rarely have anything setup and ready to try. All that said, you absolutely need to stop by. I have one of, if not the world's largest selection of lower priced mandolins. :)

If possible, let me know a few models that you are most interested in and I can set some up for you to try.

There is also a music school next door.

Madterryk
Feb-24-2013, 10:45am
Thanks guys. Preciate it a lot and ive been browsing the web page at folkmusician a lot the past few weeks. At this point I am leaning towards one of the Kentucky Mandolins (KM 150). I've heard nothing but good things about the brand and despite a desire to run off with an F style (like the way it looks) most of what I have read suggested starting with an A style.
My four year old still says she can play the mandolin. LOL. She can't even pick one up yet but she is a fantastic drummer. lol

ltlpicker
Feb-24-2013, 10:56am
I second the notion to go see Robert at Folkmusician. He just did a bridge set and some adjustments on my older Kentucky and did a great job. He'll set you up with a good instrument and treat you right.

vegas
Feb-24-2013, 2:19pm
Reno? Folk Musician is your place. Robert is da' man, give him a ring and ask all the questions you desire.

Do not let MF, GC or any other place that may advertise a better price fool you, setup is very important, especially for a beginner. Robert, along with Brian at TMS are two of the best. FM is in Reno so call him and take a trip over to his shop and see if possible.

That is the best advice and a great source for anyone, especially a first timer. Robert personally inspects every mandolin that comes in and if they don't measure up, he sends them back. He will not make a sale before he will sell you something second rate. Contact Folkmusician, tell him what you are looking for and your budget. You will get honest and experienced advice.