PDA

View Full Version : A.C. Fairbanks &Co. bowlback

Victoria
Feb-11-2013, 12:55pm
Hello everyone!
Just purchased a very fancy parlor piece that says "regent model #130". I have followed some links provided here, but have been unable to locate any other info. Mando has mother of pearl, ivory, sterling, and tortiseshell on it. Appears to be a rosewood back, 32 ribs. Got any leads for me to follow?

allenhopkins
Feb-11-2013, 2:26pm
This thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?62868-Info-on-A-C-fairbanks-mandolins) contains some research I did on Fairbanks mandolins; you may have linked to it already.

Would help to post a picture.

Jim Garber
Feb-11-2013, 4:11pm
While we are waiting, here are pics of a A C Fairbanks model 130 Regent bowlback along with some description from a 2005 auction:

A. C. FAIRBANKS, Mandolin, No.130 "Regent", c.1900-1905, round bowl back with 37 rosewood ribs with light-wood spacers, continuous rosewood clasp with ivoroid bindings, 1/4" wide abalone trim around top & sound hole, engraved pearl inlays in fingerboard & peg head, intricate foliage celluloid design in tortoise pick guard, engraved nickel tuner plates, clamshell tail piece. A.C.Fairbanks logo plate on back of head and inside.

Victoria
Feb-11-2013, 4:27pm
This thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?62868-Info-on-A-C-fairbanks-mandolins) contains some research I did on Fairbanks mandolins; you may have linked to it already.

Would help to post a picture.

I hope I am doing this right, I apologise for posting incorrectly if I have! I did read that information. It was helpful. Mandolin is getting a bath, a set up, and a small abalone repair. Will be proud to post a photo when I get it back. Just an excited newbie wanting to know as much as possible about it!

Victoria
Feb-11-2013, 6:05pm
Yup, that looks remarkably like mine!

brunello97
Feb-12-2013, 12:18am
Victoria, I had a Fairbanks mandolin a few years back that I really enjoyed. I sold it to a guy in Switzerland, for what reason I don't know, other than I thought it was a cool idea at the time for it to be over there. The proto-Vega quality on these appears to have been pretty high across the board.

Work it on out to get some pictures up. Here are some (old) pictures of mine. A bit more modest than Jim's. But dig that neck/bowl joint!

Mick