PDA

View Full Version : Sawchyn A2c

Scot Thayer
Jan-23-2005, 6:11pm
Here's a few pics of my new Sawchyn A2 custom. My other Sawchyn is an S5 and I decided I needed an oval hole too. I have to agree with 8Stringpete, Peter makes great instruments.

Scot Thayer
Jan-23-2005, 6:12pm
Here's one of the top.

Scot Thayer
Jan-23-2005, 6:13pm
And another.

Scot Thayer
Jan-23-2005, 6:15pm
I love this shot of the heel and back.

Scot Thayer
Jan-23-2005, 6:18pm
Here's the last one - ebony buttons.

mandoman15
Jan-23-2005, 6:23pm
thats some mad flame youve got going on there. i really really like that mando alot. does Sawchyn have a website?

Chris Cantergiani
Jan-23-2005, 6:38pm
WOW!
Man, that is a mighty fine lookin' mandolin!
What attention to detail. Congrats!
Let us know what you think of the sound too!

Chris

Scot Thayer
Jan-23-2005, 7:55pm
Thanks for the nice comments guys. #I love the sound, quite different of course from my S5 (oval hole vs f-hole) and that's what I wanted, something that sounded completely different. #They're both great mandolins and both get lots of play time. #Peter's website is www.sawchyn.com - he's been making mandolins (and other acoustic instruments) for more than 30 years and he's great to work with.

jasona
Jan-23-2005, 8:49pm
Wow! Got to love those Canadians! :cool:

fatt-dad
Jan-23-2005, 8:59pm
Those are great photos!

f-d

atetone
Jan-23-2005, 9:32pm
Scott, that's a great looking mandolin. Definately a custom spec job. I see quite a few differences from Peters normal A2 model.
Keep us posted on how the sound/tone developes.
How does it sound right out of the box?
I have a Sawchyn A5 that is a great piece of work and have been thinking about one of Sawchyns A2s.
Oh by the way, for anyone looking at Peters website, remember that those prices are in Canadian dollars which makes his mandolins even more attractive.

Scot Thayer
Jan-24-2005, 7:01am
Atetone, right out of the box it sounded exactly like I wanted. Loud, responsive and full sounding, rich bottom end, well balanced and tons of sustain. I know with time it will sound even better but even if it didn't, I'd be a happy guy.

peterleyenaar
Jan-24-2005, 7:52am
It is a beauty and I am sure it sound great too,
what a fine example of Peter's work.

peterleyenaar
Jan-24-2005, 8:33am
Hey Scott, that is nice photography, how do you take these shots with the dark background, what lighting do you use ?

Scot Thayer
Jan-25-2005, 4:36pm
Thanks Peter, all I did was drape a sheet of black cotton material over the couch and shoot. #It was during the day, no flash, just indirect sunlight.

atetone
Jan-27-2005, 8:03pm
Scott, when you get tired of fondling that thing do you think you could post some more pics?
That first full length one you posted is great and has me scheming again.
Wow, that mando is a beauty.

peterleyenaar
Jan-28-2005, 7:34am
atetone, I am already ahead of your scheming, I send Peter the deposit for another mandolin, similar to Scot's with abelone inlay around the rosette and perhaps waverly tuners,
heaHeaHEHEHE http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

atetone
Jan-28-2005, 2:39pm
Peter, that will make 3 Sawchyns for you won't it?
I was going to ask you about the F4 style that you got. How is the sound on that baby?
I don't have to ask about the looks/ fit and finish because I already know about that from the A5 that I own.
You obviously scheme a lot faster than I do. My scheming requires the selling of some other instrument or two first and I just don't seem to get around to actually parting with any.
I will continue to "slow scheme" and hope that it does not become too obvious here on the home front.

Walter
Jan-28-2005, 3:28pm
Beautiful Mandolin! I love the black binding.

atetone
Feb-11-2005, 1:16am
So Scott, how about an update on your new mandolin?
Are you still enjoying the heck out of it?
I would love to see some more pics.

neal
Feb-11-2005, 7:59am
I love this shot of the heel and back.
Man, doesn't that look like a jumbo jet takeing off? #Beautiful.

krishna
Feb-21-2005, 8:19am
I've seen maybe a 7 or 8 of his guitars. Canadian singer songwritter Ben Sures plays one. Really nice guitars. I have only seen 2 mandos though. I liked them,but maybe it was right after he started building them and still did'nt quite have a handle on them? They were'nt great...Kerry