PDA

View Full Version : Tiny and Jethro for Paul

AlanN
Jan-23-2005, 8:59am
Folks,

See the classifieds for the release on CD of this historic record. Not only a great musical event, but for a great cause as well, helping out a brother in need.

I got mine, get yours.

SternART
Jan-23-2005, 5:44pm
I've been listening to this for awhile now, got an advance copy & had forgotten just how great a record it was/is......the 2nd CD of out-takes really shows how great these pros were, they just went in & cut a coupla takes of each & it was in the can. Hard to decide which takes were better, it is interesting comparing the solos, especially Grisman's, he was pulling out all the stops to play up to his mando heros, I remember how thrilled David was back in the ol' days to have put this session together, and how special it was for him to play some on it.

I know Grisman had to really seach for the original master tapes with the alternate versions, Kaleidescope was bought out & the masters disappeared for awhile......we should all thank him by buying this CD... Clearly it is intended only for us mando-heads, and as a tribute to Jethro & Tiny...this should be in every mandolin players collection. Grisman steps up to the plate again as a musicologist making this music once again available. Truly a classic!!! Thanks Dawggy!!!

Scott Tichenor
Jan-23-2005, 7:06pm
Thanks to everyone that got in on the sale of these this a.m. It was pretty amazing to see all thirty go in less than two hours. I forwarded a payment of over $1,000 this afternoon to the fund set up to assist Paul and his family. The CDs are all packaged and ready to be mailed tomorrow. Thanks to David Grisman and the Acoustic Disc staff for their generosity.

For those of you that didn't get in on this, won't be long until they are available to the public on February 8. This is one of the single finest jazz mandolin recordings of all time--maybe the best. If you ever wondered why people rave about Jethro and Tiny Moore, one listen to this recording should answer that question. For folks like me that bought the original release in 1980 and are intimately familiar with this recording, hearing the alternate takes is simply one of the most remarkable musical experiences I've had in some time. Highest recommendation I can give.

good_ol_al_61
Jan-24-2005, 11:15am
Thanks to all involved for this great cause. I ordered mine for many reasons.

Last month when I read the post on Paul's accident....well let's just say that I wish just for a moment I was Bill Gates or (insert your favorite billionaire here) and I would have went to Austin and done all I could. But like most of us here I am a working stiff and can do only a little. So it made me feel good that I could do something by means of this offer.

Second, I have many LP's and now CD's of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys featuring Tiny on that electric mando. It always sounds like Tiny was just having a good time pickin' that thing and there just happened to be a band nearby...hehehe. I miss that mando sound when I hear "Asleep at the Wheel" play his songs except for the tracks where Johnny Gimble lays down his fiddle and picks up his mandola tuned A-50.

Lastly, I have never really listened to Jazz mandolin. So this will be a new experience for me.

Again, thank you Scott for putting this at the forefront. Also thanks to Acoustic Disc and Mr. Grisman for thier generosity. I wish Mr. Grisman would post here sometimes. I know all would enjoy his company.