PDA

View Full Version : Looking at MIJ Kentucky mando...

Jazzbone
Feb-07-2013, 1:14pm
I've recently been on the hunt for an "A" mandolin and I came across a late eighties Kentucky KM-850 in beautiful condition. I might be tempted by another F but I'm not sure if it is worth what he's asking. I understand that the made in Japan Kentucky's are desirable...

So, thoughts on desirability, playability, collectability,price range or opinions...would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-07-2013, 4:57pm
I have a KM-850. It is a very nice mandolin. It's not only loud, with a nice tone, but I think the wood looks fantastic.

I'm told that the Japanese-built 850s were NOT built at the Maruko shop where they built the 1000s and 1500s etc. They were not 'hand-carved' by that team of luthiers, but built in another factory in Japan. Even so, at one time, they were the top-of-the-line for the Saga/Kentucky co. At some point in the mid '80s, the list price for the 850 was higher than the 1000.
Whether or not they will really ever be considered 'collectable' is anyone's guess. It depends on how you define 'collectable'. There is already a group of dedicated fans of the Japanese Kentuckys. (Do a search on this site.)

There was one in the 'classifed' section here not long ago. It looked like a nice one, but the $1400.00 asking price seemed a bit high to me. JMO though. (Hard to be unbiased when you already own one.)

Jazzbone
Feb-07-2013, 5:23pm
I have a KM-850. It is a very nice mandolin. It's not only loud, with a nice tone, but I think the wood looks fantastic.

I'm told that the Japanese-built 850s were NOT built at the Maruko shop where they built the 1000s and 1500s etc. They were not 'hand-carved' by that team of luthiers, but built in another factory in Japan. Even so, at one time, they were the top-of-the-line for the Saga/Kentucky co. At some point in the mid '80s, the list price for the 850 was higher than the 1000.
Whether or not they will really ever be considered 'collectable' is anyone's guess. It depends on how you define 'collectable'. There is already a group of dedicated fans of the Japanese Kentuckys. (Do a search on this site.)

There was one in the 'classifed' section here not long ago. It looked like a nice one, but the $1400.00 asking price seemed a bit high to me. JMO though. (Hard to be unbiased when you already own one.)

The one I'm looking at is similarly priced...do you think $1200 is a reasonable offer?

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-07-2013, 11:08pm
I really don't have much to add. Only that anything over 1k for a KM-850 is (IMO) pushing the upper boundry. If you were on a quest to find a nice KM-850, it might seem reasonable. From what I read in your original post, you were looking for a decent A model. Maybe someone else here will have some helpful input. Good luck in any case.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Feb-08-2013, 12:07am
I haven't played any of the MIJ Kentucky, but from what I've heard, they aren't any better than the stuff that's coming out of China right now. I would be hard pressed to pay that kind of money for an A style when I can get a recent KM1000 for same or a KM900 for less.

almeriastrings
Feb-08-2013, 2:39am
I agree. If anything, I'd say the current Chinese ones may even have the edge. They can be very, very good. I've head a couple of KM-900's that were incredible.

FL Dawg
Feb-08-2013, 10:05pm
Could be a really nice mandolin made with some nice wood. It was an expensive instrument at the time it was made. I really liked the one I had and I think you might find a lot of player value in it.

These days buyers have a lot of options in the import F-5 category, so prices on mandolins like this one have dropped. You probably want to be under $1000 but there was a time when it would have brought more. It's still a pretty rare mando, you don't see a lot of these KM-850's for sale. I'd rather have one of these than a newer import. And Kentucky was the best of the Japanese brands.