PDA

View Full Version : Ovation MM68AX so many questions!!

lifewithryan
Feb-07-2013, 1:02pm
Long-time lurker, first time poster!

I'm pretty new to the mandolin, almost two full years now playing it a couple times a week with one official lesson. I do play some bluegrass, but really I just play mando to provide that more treble sound in my band as well as get some of that "chuck/chop chord" sound.

I currently play a very cheap rogue: (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-fm-80e-acoustic-electric-mandolin) but may have found myself in a situation where I could get one of the Ovation MM68ax mandolins. However, after reading the following thread:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?88590-Ovation-MM68AX&highlight=mm68ax

I am wondering if that'd be a mistake. This thread makes it sound like A) its not worth the money, and B) its a piece of crap.

I guess my question is, since I'm still a beginner (and considering price difference) is the Ovation of a more substantial quality than this cheaper rogue that I've been playing?

I can't find ANY reviews on the MM68AX, but the MCS148 from Ovation is getting great reviews on Amazon (and its the next model down -- even the Applause version is getting good reviews).

I'm having hard time separating out a more professional/experienced players review as it would compare to someone of my skillset. Naturally a more seasoned player will pick up on things that someone on my level would completely be okay with...(fret size?!? would I even notice??). Sure intonation and action are more noticeable, but I'm really lost here as to how much weight I should give to a seasoned player's review, naturally it means alot, but are the details too minute for someone like me to notice/care?

I don't want an A-Style, I REALLY like this non-traditional mandolin look, otherwise I'd consider an F-style. Also, it MUST be an acoustic electric...

Am I just asking for trouble with the MM68AX or would it indeed be a natural "step up" from the rogue? Would I be better of with an MCS148 and then sending to whomever to have a proper setup done?

Any information would be a great help.

allenhopkins
Feb-08-2013, 12:25am
Did a Cafe search on "MM68AX," found this very informative thread. (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?88590-Ovation-MM68AX&highlight=mm68ax)

Later: see you found it already -- never mind...

Tim2723
Feb-08-2013, 8:42am
Hi and welcome!

The thread you found is one of the very few about the new MM68AX here on the Cafe. It was generously written by our own Ed Goist who served as something of a guinea pig for our little community of Ovation enthusiasts.

I won't steal Ed's thunder, but I'm sure he'd agree that the changes he made to the frets and radius stem from his own personal tastes and needs, and that they shouldn't in themselves be considered an indictment against the instrument. They're not necessarily design flaws that must be corrected, but more of the sort of modifications that very experienced, advanced players often make. Ed might likely make similar changes to a great many good instruments to make them better for himself. (Is that fair, ED?)

Other recurring names in that thread represent different points of view from experienced Ovation users. Micheal Thompson, for instance, has done more with the Ovation design acoustically than practically anyone here, while I'm the kind of player who is happy with the frets but changes the electronics. So you're correct when you say there's a need to sort out the basic information from the expert's endless debating. There are several dozen players here, and we all have our opinions.

As you might well imagine, since Ed's first report there has been a lot of discussion taking place behind the scenes among the Ovation players. If I could be so bold as to try to summarize them, I think the collective opinion might go something like this:

We regret that the original, US made MM-68 is no longer in production.

The new AX model is a nicely upgraded version of the mid-line Celebrity 148 that incorporates many of the features of the top end model at a more palatable price.

The Celebrity model itself remains an excellent choice for those new to Ovations who need an affordable version.

The Applause version, while a perennial favorite for many, remains the entry-level offering.

The primary complaint about the AX is its current market price. For the time being, a used American 68 can be had for the same money.

The primary complaint about the Ovation design in general is the rear hatch and battery compartment. We tend to make more of that than we probably should given newcomers reading along. It's the sort of thing that becomes almost a joke for the inner circle of friends. It's not that bad, we just can't get over the fact that Ovation won't make the changes we've suggested after all this time.

Anyway, I say that to keep you from shying away from it too soon. The others will chime in presently, I'm sure. Welcome to the Cafe!

Steve Ostrander
Feb-08-2013, 9:02am
If you like non-traditional design, how about the Godin A8? Or maybe a Breedlove with a PU installed?

lifewithryan
Feb-08-2013, 1:09pm
If you like non-traditional design, how about the Godin A8? Or maybe a Breedlove with a PU installed?

I love the A8 as well...do you think the A8 is better quality over the MM68ax? This will be paid for actually by my employer as a thank you for the work I've done/been doing and sacrificing 33 vacation hours in order to service our client. So if the Godin at $600 or so bucks or the Ovation at $800 -- I just want the higher quality instrument...this one will have to last me for quite some time...

I've outgrown my Rogue which has several dead spots on the fret board.

Tom Cherubini
Feb-08-2013, 1:36pm
For me, there's NO comparison between the well-made, great-sounding A8 and the molded plastic, boxy-sounding Ovation. And for $200 more? Fuggedaboutit! It doesn't even sound like a mandolin!

Tim2723
Feb-08-2013, 2:39pm
The Godin and Ovation are the two major competitors in the dedicated AE mandolin world at the moment. Without getting into custom built instruments, they take up the loin's share of the market today. They are both very well made instruments that I wouldn't hesitate to call 'professional quality', whatever that really means. You won't be disappointed with the build quality of either. Both will last a lifetime. They are the real thing.

They are very different instruments though. The Godin is routered from a solid plank with a soundboard added to the top. It's neck is bolted on. It uses different electronics for a different sound. Both instruments have their characteristic sound and playability.

Just as many acoustic players have oval-hole and f-hole mandolins for their different voices, many AE players, myself included, use both.

Do you have a chance to try any of these?

lifewithryan
Feb-08-2013, 2:40pm
For me, there's NO comparison between the well-made, great-sounding A8 and the molded plastic, boxy-sounding Ovation. And for $200 more? Fuggedaboutit! It doesn't even sound like a mandolin!

Definitely something to think about...hard to tell without being able to actually PLAY both of them and compare...The videos I've seen -- in my mind anyway -- sound like a mandolin to me.

The Godin was the one I originally liked...but their prices shot up (on amazon) all of a sudden (though still cheaper than the Ovation). How does the Godin do acoustically? I won't always be plugged in as we do some straight up natural acoustic sets as well (like back porch pickin').

This whole problem would be solved itself if there was someplace where I could actually sample both of these things...but our local guitar center *never* has anything like either of those. I think I saw an Ibanez A-Style once...(I didn't like it -- but it wasn't really setup at all I think...)

Tim2723
Feb-08-2013, 2:45pm
Oh. we were posting at the same time. You can't try them.

The Godin is amazingly loud for an instrument with no soundholes. It's kind of startling, actually. Neither are made for acoustic playing though, they are AE mandolins and they do their thing plugged in. But you can play them acoustically and they are loud enough for back porch picking. But they don't develop their real tone that way.

And you're right about mandolins that aren't set up. It doesn't give a fair picture of them.

lifewithryan
Feb-08-2013, 2:48pm
Grrr decisions, decisions :)

Guess I just better start scouting the nearest stores and see what I can go and try!

Tim2723
Feb-08-2013, 2:49pm
AE mandolins are such specialized tools that a lot of players who look at them find they're really better of with a high-quality acoustic with a good pickup added on. You have a lot more choices that way and they can be very versatile instruments.

Ed Goist
Feb-08-2013, 2:59pm
I agree with everything Tim says in this post, with the exception of the implication that I am an "experienced, advanced player" :)

Though I'm a fan of both the Celebrity 148 and the AX, I do think they are both overpriced at current street pricing (especially the AX). However, we are currently in a buyer's market, and there are deals to be had. Don't be afraid to haggle. Frankly, with the new Fender Mando-Strat (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?91754-New-Fender-Emando) coming out next month dealers may find it even more difficult to move acoustic/electric mandolins. This may be the time to get a good deal.

Hi and welcome!

The thread you found is one of the very few about the new MM68AX here on the Cafe. It was generously written by our own Ed Goist who served as something of a guinea pig for our little community of Ovation enthusiasts.

I won't steal Ed's thunder, but I'm sure he'd agree that the changes he made to the frets and radius stem from his own personal tastes and needs, and that they shouldn't in themselves be considered an indictment against the instrument. They're not necessarily design flaws that must be corrected, but more of the sort of modifications that very experienced, advanced players often make. Ed might likely make similar changes to a great many good instruments to make them better for himself. (Is that fair, ED?)

Other recurring names in that thread represent different points of view from experienced Ovation users. Micheal Thompson, for instance, has done more with the Ovation design acoustically than practically anyone here, while I'm the kind of player who is happy with the frets but changes the electronics. So you're correct when you say there's a need to sort out the basic information from the expert's endless debating. There are several dozen players here, and we all have our opinions.

As you might well imagine, since Ed's first report there has been a lot of discussion taking place behind the scenes among the Ovation players. If I could be so bold as to try to summarize them, I think the collective opinion might go something like this:

We regret that the original, US made MM-68 is no longer in production.

The new AX model is a nicely upgraded version of the mid-line Celebrity 148 that incorporates many of the features of the top end model at a more palatable price.

The Celebrity model itself remains an excellent choice for those new to Ovations who need an affordable version.

The Applause version, while a perennial favorite for many, remains the entry-level offering.

The primary complaint about the AX is its current market price. For the time being, a used American 68 can be had for the same money.

The primary complaint about the Ovation design in general is the rear hatch and battery compartment. We tend to make more of that than we probably should given newcomers reading along. It's the sort of thing that becomes almost a joke for the inner circle of friends. It's not that bad, we just can't get over the fact that Ovation won't make the changes we've suggested after all this time.

Anyway, I say that to keep you from shying away from it too soon. The others will chime in presently, I'm sure. Welcome to the Cafe!

Tim2723
Feb-08-2013, 3:06pm
Ed makes a good point about the new Fender. A lot of us are waiting to see those!

AE mandolins have a parallel in the guitar world. Imagine the guy who can't decide between an acoustic dreadnought and a solid-body electric, so he buys a semi-hollow electric hoping for the best of both worlds. He doesn't get that. What he does get is a third thing that is great in its own right, but is neither of the other two. AE mandolins are like that.

Steve Ostrander
Feb-08-2013, 3:31pm
Used Godin A8s go for about $450. About a year ago I snagged a brand new one off Amazon for that. It was an insane deal. I still don't get why, but I jumped on it.

Tim2723
Feb-08-2013, 3:34pm
You just have all the luck, Steve.

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-08-2013, 3:42pm
Ask in the Classifieds for an MM68. Also try for a Fender FM62-SCE. You never know...

Tim2723
Feb-08-2013, 3:49pm
Eddie's advice is also very good. You can still run across a used MM-68 for the same or even a little less money than the AX. The US made 68 is still the flagship model with all that the name implies. A number of Celebrity players have tried my 68s and didn't want to give them back. And that's saying something because the Celebrity is a darn good player.

CES
Feb-08-2013, 4:32pm
I used to own a Fender FM62-SCE, one of the older models that looked sort of like the Rigels. I actually liked the little thing, but eventually gave it to my brother, who needed it to play in a praise band at church and didn't have the cash to purchase a mando.

That said, I've also recently played a Godin A-8, and was very impressed by it's feel/playability, but also by how loud it was acoustically...almost startling, as Tim suggested, though not the same as a true acoustic. I think that if I ever need another A/E, that's the route I'll go (or I'll put a p/u in my Silverangel). I actually like Ovations, and if you need to play at screaming volumes without feedback you can't beat them as A/Es go, but I like the A-8 a little better.

The other option already suggested is to get a decent acoustic and add a pickup (KM 505, Loar 400, Eastman whatever, etc), but I see that you don't like A styles, so nevermmind ;). In F-style options under 800 dollars you're pretty limited, though Rover, Kentucky, Michael Kelly, and Loar can all get you to that point.

From my own experience I'd suggest that, if you really like the look of the Ovation and don't have any real preferences about fret size, radius, etc, go for it! IMO they're great tools, and aren't as bad unplugged as many seem to feel...just buy from someplace that does a set-up if you can...

Good luck!

lifewithryan
Feb-08-2013, 5:09pm
Ask in the Classifieds for an MM68. Also try for a Fender FM62-SCE. You never know...

I'll give that shot!