PDA

View Full Version : Wilson #016 Two Point in white oak

craigw
Feb-07-2013, 12:24am
I actually had this one together in September but completed it in too much of a hurry. I wasn't really satisfied with the top finish so redid it and just got it back together yesterday. The top is sitka with a tinge of bearclaw. Bruce Harvie had the billet and used it to record the registry of vintage Loars at the 2007 LoarFest West we had here in Bakersfield. At the end of the fest he gave it to me for posterity. It seemed to be too good to not install in a mandolin so I photographed the billet and went for it. The back, sides and neck are quarter sawn white oak I was able to talk out of a master cabinet maker friend here locally. I got the bug to do a mandolin in oak after stopping for a visit in Minneapolis with Hans and Maureen Brentrup in the fall of 2011. He had built some quite stunning guitars using oak and I really liked one in particular that was both sweet and powerful. I had planned to do a blacktop but opted to do it in pumpkin instead. It has a radiused fb with false curly maple frets in the extension. This is my first two point mando as well as the first fleur de lis peghead inlay. The back side of the peghead is overlaid with burlwood veneer. The tuners are Gotoh with retrofitted period appropriate screws and washers and has black celluloid buttons. The bridge is Cumberland Acoustics and it has a Bill James tailpiece. It's finished in oil varnish with a hand rubbed Truoil overfinish. I thought the abbreviated pickguard in maccasar ebony really completed the look of this mando.
I don't know if it's the oak or not but this is the loudest mandolin I've built by a long shot. I have J74s on it right now but am toying with trying some flattops or even flatwounds to throttle it back some.
I'll have this one along with some others at WIntergrass at the end of the month. I'll be showing at the Music Caravan booth which should be just outside the entry to the luthiers room. I hope to see some of you all there.

craigw
Feb-07-2013, 12:26am
98046Here is a closer shot of the top that shows the claw a little better.

sgarrity
Feb-07-2013, 12:36am
That's pretty!

GarY Nava
Feb-07-2013, 3:42am
Nice work;always good to see some alternative woods used.
Cheers Gary

OldGus
Feb-07-2013, 10:00am
Wow, I am a big fan of alternative woods. I used to have a mandolin with walnut and Sitka that sounded great and I miss. I was thinking the other day what one might sound like with oak, White, Red or other because of the old guitars I've heard with it and my neighbor has a Yairi guitar with a Sitka top and Kihada back/sides. Kihada looks a bit like a redder oak(In my opinion), slab sawn, very porous. It has great note definition, projection and an exotic tone. Ziricote with an Alpine top would sound awesome also, I think, as it also seems a great wood combo on guitars. Of course you might have to go with a three piece back if you couldn't get big pieces. Thanks for sharing, if you can, sound clips would be awesome.

Tom Cherubini
Feb-07-2013, 10:41am
LOVE that mandolin! The idea of using oak is smart because oak has a larger proportion of hard fibers than most other hardwoods, which probably makes it more sound reflective. That could be why it's so loud.
Looks wonderful. Be nice to hear it.

Strings8

Skip Kelley
Feb-07-2013, 10:50am
Craig, that looks beautiful! Is it hard to bend? I have a friend that has two dread sets and wants me to build with white oak. Thanks!!

billhay4
Feb-07-2013, 11:11am
I'd like to hear that one, Craig.
Nice job.
Bill

craigw
Feb-07-2013, 12:38pm
Hey Skip. Actually the oak bends pretty easy. The challenge is to get the pores filled and that adds up to some extra labor to the project. I used the black Timbermate filler from Stu-Mac and on Hans' advise mixed in quite a bit of black Transtint dye to get it really dark. It will take at least two applications of filler with sanding back in between to get your surface really smooth. What ended up working best for me was to apply it with a rubber squeegee with the grain. This mando still has a few voids but not so bad and acceptable.
The only big problem I had building this mandolin is the discovery that I have an allergy to oak sawdust. I have to remember to mask up any time I'll be stirring the dust up. I have another oak wood set so there could be another of these in the works at some point.
Bill, come by the booth if you are at Wintergrass and give it a test drive.

billhay4
Feb-07-2013, 2:02pm
Thanks, Craig, I will.
Look forward to seeing you and the new instrument.
Bill

Spruce
Feb-07-2013, 2:11pm
Cool!
Hope to see you at Wintergrass....

Don Grieser
Feb-07-2013, 2:18pm
I really like 2 points, and this one is spectacular. Somebody give us an in-hand report from WinterGrass.

Skip Kelley
Feb-07-2013, 2:33pm
Craig, Thanks for the info!!:)

Ken
Feb-07-2013, 7:37pm
I'll also chime in really liking the use of alternative woods, and that white oak sure does look pretty. Nice mandolin!

Marty Jacobson
Feb-07-2013, 9:32pm
Look at that -- a thing of beauty. The oak gives it a very Arts and Crafts or Shaker look. I am not a fan of quartered oak furniture, but it's pretty slick on an arched back like this. Sorry about the allergies...

rb3868
Feb-07-2013, 10:29pm
Another beautiful two-point. I'd love to see one in walnut

Hendrik Ahrend
Feb-08-2013, 3:35pm
Beautiful mandolin, congrats! In these parts - Northern Europe - and for more than 500 years, oak has been the preferred wood for pipe organs. Also, some harpsichords were made out of oak in the baroque era. Sorry about your allergy, Craig. Frequent inhaling of oak dust is not a good idea anyway, carcinogenic.

Jake Wildwood
Feb-09-2013, 12:42pm
Really nice!

I'm a huge fan of oak as a tonewood. The old instruments I've worked on that've used it for secondary woods have all been loud, direct, and with a sweet and sculpted low end. I'm glad it worked out so well for you and my, my, very pretty!

Gregory Tidwell
Feb-09-2013, 3:48pm
Hi Craig. Any plans to send this one up to The 5th String in Sacramento? I really liked playing the two you had there last year.

craigw
Feb-09-2013, 4:53pm
Hey Gregory. I don't have plans for any of the mandolins I'm taking past Wintergrass since I'd like some to find happy homes there. But I will most likely be coming back through Sacramento on my home so anything is possible.

mgrier1
Feb-10-2013, 9:10pm
Beautiful Mandolin and I love the concept...

I have played a Beneteau Art & Crafts guitar - OM shaped (or close to it) and it sounded full and projected well. I don't know why I was surprised, but the White Oak made for a gorgeous looking and sounding instrument.

Great job, that's a looker!

My Best,

Mike