PDA

View Full Version : Looking for first mandolin (Kentucky vs The Loar vs Washburn)

carsonwinter01
Feb-04-2013, 11:40pm
This is my first post on Mandolin Cafe, so hello all!

I am a violinist, and I've decided to pick up the mandolin. I'm hoping to get an instrument that will take me into intermediate playing without needing an upgrade. My budget is (preferably below) $300, and so far I have found what I think are good deals on the Kentucky KM-350 and The Loar LM-220-VS. I could also stretch my budget a little bit more and get the Washburn M106SWK or the Washburn M3SWK. I was hoping to get opinions about if one of these instruments is the better choice, if it would be worth springing for one of the more expensive two, or if I should sit on my money and wait for a better mandolin to come along. Any comments and advice are appreciated--thanks so much for your help! :)

Chelsea

helric
Feb-05-2013, 1:01am
Hello ! I got a The Loar (a LM300) that really worth the money. The 220 is a high value model for the money. You can't go wrong with it. ;)

f5loar
Feb-05-2013, 2:44am
To me I see the best quality, best playing, easiest to get setup of the 3 is the Kentucky. Sure beats the old 60'a Kay A model I started out on.

Tim2723
Feb-05-2013, 10:39am
The Kentucky and Loar will likely get the most votes around here. Lots of satisfied customers. If you save up for a better one, be sure to save up for a good set-up job too. Mandolins don't come ready to play out of the box. They need adjustments to work their best. So include that in your budget.

Welcome to the cafe!