PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Camp North 2013

NewsFetcher
Feb-04-2013, 5:40pm
The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
Mandolin Camp North 2013 (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001528.shtml)

Mandolin Camp North 2013 convenes April 12-14 at the Prindle Pond Conference Center and features an outstanding all-star line-up of mandolin instructors.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/uploads/mcn_006.jpg (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001528.shtml)

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.

RBMB
Feb-04-2013, 11:01pm
I went last year and had a great time! I highly recommend it. (I'd be going again this year if it wasn't for a family commitment.). This year's staff list is amazing!

JPerkins
Feb-05-2013, 10:34am
Anyone else have experience with this camp? Interested but would like some first hand observations. Thanks.

RobH
Feb-05-2013, 1:58pm
I went last year and it was great...I signed up already for this year...My only complaint was that there were too many terrific teachers and I didn't get to all the classes overlapping classes offered :) I found a number of people at my level to jam with and everyone was friendly. Lots of good mandolin vendors too. How can it be bad with Mike Chompton, Sharon Gilchrist, Barry Mitterhoff and all the other great teachers? I recommend it. let me know if you have any specific quiestions.

mzuch
Feb-05-2013, 3:51pm
I went to MCN for three consecutive years. I would give it a mixed review.

The "star" instructors can be wonderful, and it is great fun to meet and play with one's mandolin heroes. But don't expect any individual attention. The workshops are relatively brief, so no time to explore subject matter in depth. Most workshops consist of working on a song or some exercises. Some instructors give out written materials, some don't. If you go, bring a good recorder so you can work on material at home. Otherwise, you will forget 90% of it after attending multiple workshops over the weekend. In my view, MCN is best for advanced and strong intermediate players. If you are a novice or advanced beginner, your time and money probably would be better spent on individual lessons.

I don't know if the current venue is any better, but the facilities at the two places I attended (one on Groton, MA, and the other in Maine) were like very low quality kids' summer camps -- uncomfortable sleeping arrangements with multiple people crowded into small rooms (bring ear plugs in case of loud snorers), truly terrible institutional food and rules against alcohol consumption. Finally, the proprietor makes no pretense about being there for anything other than the money. The snide comments and snarky attitude got old very quickly. If you don't mind this type of treatment, then MCN may be a good fit for you.