PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for L & H Advice

Rob M.
Feb-04-2013, 4:37pm
Thank you all for your advice on the L&H C Mandolin I'm hoping to sell. Mr. Mando, you seem right on target, except the Washburn on Mand. Bros. is a slim bowl back. I've looked at all the others, and only the Washburn (w/ TPC) looks comparable in condition. I went to a local luthier/shop in Micanopy, FL (an antiques town from the 1850's) He said about $600. Then I went down the block to a very nice antiques dealer who plays & said the other guy was just a boat owner until about 5 years ago!

I think I'll meet the Skinner auction gent & then go from there.

Thanks again for the input.
Rob

mrmando
Feb-04-2013, 5:00pm
Here's the Mandolin Bros. listing I was looking at:
http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Lyon++Healy-Style+C-1920/827

Looks like it they sold it already. Hats off to them if they sold it for the listed $2,500.

You sure as heck won't get any more than $1,500 if you consign it to Skinner. It's worth giving it a go on the Classifieds first, and if it doesn't sell, you can let Skinner handle it.

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-04-2013, 7:22pm
1.2K to 1.6K is my guesstimate for a style C.

mrmando
Feb-04-2013, 7:26pm
The one in question is missing the tailpiece cover.

mrmando
Feb-04-2013, 7:31pm
I am on a semi-secret lifetime mission to convert my entire mandolin orchestra to Lyon & Healy instruments. Thus far I have placed a Style B and a Style A in the hands of players in the group. (I need to work on persuading our mandola players to try my Style A mandola.) The two Style C's I own are still in various states of disrepair ... if they ever get fixed I will try to work them into the mix as well. As Rob knows, I have a spare L&H tailpiece here in the basement, crying for its mama...

Rob M.
Feb-04-2013, 9:48pm
Yes, I've seen that one- there's no way to tell when it was sold or for how much. It also sounds like they had to do a lot of work on it. Oh, to have a tailpiece cover!