PDA

View Full Version : Sold my KM1000 and bought The Loar 700

Timmando
Feb-04-2013, 7:57am
The Kenucky sounded fantastic and was a joy to look at, but the neck size and nut size were too small for me. A couple weeks ago at the Yeehaw festival I had the chance to play The Loar 700 and found that it was perfect for my hands. The neck is probably twice the size of the KM1000, and wider at the nut. Not a wide neck but wider than the KM1000. So I searched craigslist and much to my disbelief there was a LM700VS for sale about 25 miles north of me. And here is my story....

I emailed the owner thru craigslist on thursday and he called me back on saturday. He said that someone else was interested from Jupiter (about 2 hours south of the mando) and that he wanted it and will be there saturday to play it and buy it if he liked it. The seller was asking $810, with a nice Guardian case, a new Cumberland bridge and an armrest. I said that I would like it also (and if it was on ebay I would have bid it up). So I at least tried and said I would give him $900. The seller, being the nice guy that I found him to be, said that he felt that he should call the first guy and let him know what is going on. He called him and I was afraid that the other guy was going to say he would pay $950 and bid it up. But apparently he was just mad at the seller and did not offer any more. So the seller called me back and told me it was mine! :) We then set a time for me to drive up there and meet. So I called him when I arrived in his hometown and got his answering machine. I let him know that I was here and ready to buy. Then I waited for his call back, and waited and waited. After waiting for an hour, I went and had some dinner, another hour, no call back. So I just left a final message and said that if he didn't want to sell it to me it would have been nice if he just called and saved me the road trip. And I drove back home.

When I got home I called a friend and gave him the sellers phone number and asked him to call it to see if anyone answers. He did, he got the answering machine and hung up. He then called me back to tell me that no one answered and as we were talking, a call came in on his phone. He took it and it was the seller who said that his phone just delivered a bunch of messages that were backed up (my messages) (he has Verizon) and that he was returning his call. My friend told him that I was wondering what happened and that he should call me. So he called me and apologized profusely, we then set up another time that evening and we finally met. The Loar is mint. He took great care of it and gave me a mic stand and a couple mic cords because he was feeling so bad about the Verizon blockage. When all was said and done, I met a great person and got a great mandolin that I played all weekend. It has a real throaty sound, so much different than the KM1000. It has good volume on all the strings, and it is beautiful, I couldn't be happier. And after all the emotional downs trying to get it, I am overjoyed!

The serial number is A10071432...when was it built?

Fretbear
Feb-04-2013, 8:04am
Nice case too........

OldSausage
Feb-04-2013, 8:32am
The bit about a man from Jupiter would have made anyone suspicious. Glad it turned out well.

Bernie Daniel
Feb-04-2013, 8:40am
The bit about a man from Jupiter would have made anyone suspicious. Glad it turned out well.

I'm glad for the OP but if the Jupiter guy could have made the sale with would have been just totally out of this world!

ebeja
Feb-04-2013, 8:47am
"The serial number is A10071432...when was it built?"

@Timmando: Got mine in March 2011, SN A10071463 - guess they were built July 2010.

Mule Train
Feb-04-2013, 11:26am
Nice The Loar. I live about 40 miles south of Mars.

JeffD
Feb-04-2013, 11:34am
I am glad, and you are too apparently, that you gave him the benefit of the doubt about the phone messages. Stuff happens. And it all turned out well.

I know in my life too much skepticism has shut down some potential opportunities.

Stephen Perry
Feb-04-2013, 2:03pm
Verizon has stalled messages for up to 60 days for me - then a flood.

The variety of neck sizes available these days is a real boon to players.

f5loar
Feb-04-2013, 5:50pm
I see where you coming from on the neck size. Those The Loars upper end models have got rather chuncky club like necks while the KM1000/1500/900 are much more Loar like in size. To some that's just too thin. Loar necks varied quite a bit too. Your 1000 may have had a more thin neck than most too. What I look for in a neck size is not the actual size but how fast my hands can move on it. If it's set up correct I can move pretty fast on a thin or thick neck.

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-04-2013, 6:00pm
Glad everything turned out well for you and that you like your new The Loar.
My '84 KM 1500 has quite a thin neck too. I'm fine with it, but I know it's not for everybody.