PDA

View Full Version : Chord patterns for E major, A major, E and A minor easier than th

Pasha Alden
Feb-01-2013, 1:01pm
Good day all mandolin friends

Wondered, are there any chord patterns for a e major and minor where two strings are not held down? That is two or three finger chord patterns? If so where can I find these?

With many thanks

JeffD
Feb-01-2013, 4:11pm
There is a way to figure out your own two and three finger chords. (I assume you mean you are fine with ignoring some open strings.)

Take any of the big four finger bluegrass chords, say the big closed form G chord. Any combination of three, or two, of the four fingers out of that configuration will work as a G chord. Play around and see what you like.

OK, when you have a G configuration that you like in three fingers, figure out which of your fingers is on the G note. Now here is the wonderful part. You can use that configuration in any key, anywhere up and down the neck, or across the neck. Which ever finger was on G originally, put it on an E and you have a three finger E chord. Put it on a C# and you have a C# chord. What ever you want.

Then, after playing around with this. Take another big four fingered bluegrass chord of a different configuration, and do the same thing, or go back to the G and remove different fingers and start with that.

Pretty soon the whole universe of three finger chords and two finger "cheat chords" is at your command.

I am sure there are more sophisticated and technical ways of going about this, but the way I have described, with all the adrenaline generating self discovery and "ahaaa" moments, is by far the most fun.

I'll just add this - the two finger moveable cheat chords you discover, can be used as double stop harmonies when ever you can grab them in the middle of a tune. I'm just sayin...

Enjoy the adventure.

Pasha Alden
Feb-01-2013, 5:29pm
Hi Jef

Many thanks - just for my ignorance and and ensuring its demise - where can I find a out more about the bluegrass chords?

Perhaps I am playing them already with my two finger b flat - d minor, g, g 7 d major?

With many thanks for the assistance.

Vanilla

Steve Davis
Feb-01-2013, 5:34pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/chords/ch.pl Right here in the cafe.

billhay4
Feb-01-2013, 6:29pm
So, Vanilla, if you play that 4-fingered G that Steve points to, and then move your entire hand up (higher) in exactly the same arrangement two frets, you are playing the A chord. Two more and you're playing B. ONE more and you're playing C. Two more = D. Two more = E. A four fingered E.
Or go to the 3 fingered C on that page. Go up two frets and you're at D. Two more and you're at E. A three fingered E. The odd string is not played or is muted with your spare finger. ONE more and you've an F.
Bill

Pasha Alden
Feb-03-2013, 1:31am
Thanks Bill and Steve

Wonderful let me go do e and a - no jamming can become even easier.

jefflester
Feb-04-2013, 6:04pm
A simple 2-finger open A chord is 6-2-0-0 (1st and 3rd fingers)
And the Am is 5-2-0-0

Em is 4-5-2-0
E not quite as easy in that config: 4-6-2-0

mrmando
Feb-04-2013, 6:13pm
Easy E: 1220
Easy Em: 0220