PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tuna /Barry Mitterhoff     NY

Tom C
Jan-21-2005, 5:06pm
In 1978 I had tix for Hot Tuna at the Suffolk Forum. Tuna just broke up so Jorma played solo til 4am(3 1/2 90 minute tapes).Anyone remember? My mom does, as she and my dad sat in the car since midnight to pick me and my friends up as we were too young to drive. I've seen Jorma more time than I've seen the Dead, so when Barry (also my mando mentor) started playing with Jorma I rarely miss a show. Unfortunately when they started playing electric I was away on vacation and missed that. Now I have tix to an early and late show saturday night on Long Island NY. @$40 a shot for 2 people that $180. Well it's an 1 1/2 drive for me and we are expecting over 15" of snow starting at noon.

steve in tampa
Jan-21-2005, 5:36pm
The show in Tampa was excellent. Got pretty cold, like down almost to 50. Drive safe!

PaulD
Jan-21-2005, 5:59pm
Jorma with a mando player? Cool! Does Casady still play with him? They've been together forever. I wish they came out to Utah more often... last time I got to see Jorma and Jack was probably 3 years ago at an outdoor festival with Robert Earl Keen Jr., Ricky Skaggs, etc. I was only debating whether to go until they added Jorma to the ticket late in the game... then it was a no-brainer! Ricky Skaggs and his band were amazing too... that guy can really play mando and he had a young fiddler with him that literally brought tears to my eyes!

Enjoy the show!

Paul Doubek

Tom C
Jan-21-2005, 6:40pm
Good news. Having contacts -I should have tix waiting for me at sundays show which is close by if the band could make it through the end of what is now to be a blizzard.
I was away when they went on sale and missed out.
Barry has been playing with Jorma for 2 1/2 years now.
Started when Jorma put out Blue Country Heart. The orig players had other obligations. Sally Van Meter
recommended Barry to Jorma and they hit it off right away.
Then Jorma and Barry played alot together incorporating
more Tuna tunes. And now Playing with electric Hot Tuna
-Hot Tunahoff http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Chris Cantergiani
Jan-21-2005, 8:36pm
Hey Tom! Does that mean you will not be going to the Saturday show? Has that '78 Jorma show been put on CD yet?
I just saw these guys last Saturday in Atlanta... what a GREAT show!
A buddy of mine has seen Electric Tuna several times before, and knew what was in store.
I've see them Acoustic... but hadn't ever had the pleasure of the plugged-in version. Wow. Jorma is amazing! He's a Destroyer on the Electric guitar!! Jack definately has the best Eyebrows in Rock-n-Roll. His facial expressions crack me up.
Barry is fantastic too - I'm soooo jealous that you get to learn from him.
I also couldn't believe how great the electric mando sounds. I guess I've never really paid attention to it before, it sounds very different from the acoustic sound I've been used to. (Well... DUH!)
Please let us know what you think of the show!

Chris

OdnamNool
Jan-22-2005, 8:16am
"Water Song." Ooooooooh Awwwwwww! And very appropriate for mando accompanyment, as I have personally witnessed up close and personal with the best mando player I know... The best... Hiya, darlin'! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

PlayerOf8
Jan-22-2005, 8:47am
THe best show ever!!!!!They are back here in late February.

GM

Tom C
Jan-22-2005, 2:23pm
Well I am not going tonight(saturday) with blizzard conditions and over 20" of snow in the process of falling.
I should be going Sunday night in Nyack.