PDA

View Full Version : Danny Roberts Fan Club

carleshicks
Jan-21-2005, 5:06pm
After listening to Mandolin Orchard non stop for two weeks I have elected my self the president of the Danny Roberts fan club. That is some of the best picking I have heard in years. I say as members of the cafe we should take it upon ourself to help Danny sell 100,000 copies. If we all buy 10 and give them to our friends who in turn buy 10 it won,t take long. If we can't sell enough to make Mandolin Orchard go gold at least we can get enough noinations to make Danny mandolin player of the year at IBMA.

krishna
Jan-22-2005, 10:19pm
Wow ! Who would have thought that the bass player for the Crash Test Dummies not only could play mandolin, but play it WELL???!!! And you want to start a fan club? I 'll email Dan tonight and let him know!...By the way, I've never heard him be called Danny before. Hhmmmmm....Kerry

Big Joe
Jan-23-2005, 9:48pm
Hey Kerry...What else should we call Danny Roberts except Danny??? However, I have been his greatest fan for many years. His years with New Tradition were incredible. It is hard to think he could be any better than those days, but he is. I guess a bit of maturity to the incredible skill makes what you hear in Mandolin Orchard. In addition, how do you like Tony Wray on guitar? He does a great job too!

carleshicks
Jan-24-2005, 10:32am
Tony Wray does an excellent job on guitar and how about his banjo lick on "O.A.I." that was amazing. It just goes to show that Danny picks his back-up musicians as well as he writes songs.

straight-a
Jan-24-2005, 10:37am
Been running that cd a lot over the past two weeks, myself. AndiWayne is the best "traditional style" instrumental I've heard in many years. I'm bad to set the repeat button on that track.

carleshicks
Jan-24-2005, 1:32pm
Track 10 is also has a good bluegrass sound After hearing mandolin orchard i am ready to trade my '03 Fern in for a Master Model.

Ken Waltham
Jan-24-2005, 6:14pm
Danny played that 1929 Fern I had in the clssifieds for a few months, before I bought it back from him.
Just to hear him do some "nonsense" licks over the phone was enough to make you want to burn your mandolin!
I have always felt Danny truly is one of the best mando players on the planet.
And... you know who els works at Gibson that is a MONSTER??
David Harvey.
I'll never forget his version of "Get Up John" at IBMA the year my old BG band was down there in Owensboro.
You think Ricky does a fine job... man, David just plain burned that tune to the ground!!
On his Dad's old 1950 something F5. Wow.
So, with Charlie in the mix, there are some world class players working at Gibson these days. It can't but help the mandolin building to have those kinds of players right there at the shop.
Kind of like the teens and twenties, with Loar, Johnson, etc.

andiwayne
Jan-24-2005, 7:41pm
Wow! I just came in from work & rehearsal and saw these posts regarding my CD. Just so you know, I've contacted the manufacturer and I've ordeded 100,000 copies so I'm ready to go GOLD! Also, I'm preparing my acceptance speach for winning the 2005 IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year award http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Honestly, thank you so much much for your support...I really appreciate it. Also, if you haven't checked out my new website, please take a look at www.DannyRoberts.net.

Thanks again!

Danny Roberts

krishna
Jan-24-2005, 9:34pm
I am so out of it.. I need to spend some money and get some new disks. I'm now going to have to go to his website (I'm sure dannyroberts.net is going to be a great site!) #and buy this album,just so I can at least pretend I know my stuff.....Kerry.....By the way did anyone else notice I got responded to by BIG JOE??? How cool is that?

mandopete
Jan-24-2005, 9:37pm
Yeah, I just aired this one on my bluegrass radio show on Sunday...very,very cool indeed - congratulations Danny!

carleshicks
Jan-26-2005, 4:43pm
I am looking for an old New Tradition CD called "A Piece At A Time". It has some Danny solos that are magnificent, my vavorite being on Folcksem Prison. I checked with Pinecastle and they said it was out of print. Does any one have a copy they wish to sell? I figured as the unoficial president of the Danny Roberts fan club I should have a complete collection of his work. I have almost every other New Tradition CD but I had A Piece At A Time on cassete and I wore it out 7 or 8 years ago. If any one has a copy of it PM me. Thank You

Eric F.
Jan-26-2005, 7:12pm
I've got the debut album from Danny's band, the Grascals, in my player right now and it cooks. I just reviewed it for Paste, so I'm sure millions of people will rush out and buy it on my recommendation!

Scott Tichenor
Jan-28-2005, 7:30am
An article (http://namct.com/news/index.php?p=1688&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1) that appeared online this a.m. about Danny's new CD.

Joe Parker
Jan-28-2005, 8:00pm
Mandolin Orchard is an amazing recording! Danny's playing is full of life and inspiring. Sam Bush says he has found "a new favorite cd and favorite mandolin player". High praise that is most deserving I say. Congrats Danny on great record! BTW-my May 27,04 Master Model just keeps getting better. On going thanks to Danny and all the folks at OAI.

JPP

Kirk Albrecht
Feb-08-2005, 7:35pm
Wow, I just got the CD this past week, and it's about all I am listening to at work right now http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

It is seriously great playing, and across a wide spectrum of styles. Those other fellers playing with Danny (oops - and the missus) are all fine pickers in their own right, too.

If you're looking for some great music - and tremendous mandolin picking - get Mandolin Orchard - you won't be disappointed!

Scotti Adams
Feb-08-2005, 8:05pm
..I just got the Cd a couple of days ...I will have to say its a great one...one of the best ones to come down the pike in a long time.... Danny...you done good man!

DorothyD
Feb-09-2005, 12:11am
I just bought this cd yesterday at the Gibson Showcase. #Big Joe told my husband and I about it and you sure were right, Joe!! #It is great! #It kept us entertained as we traveled from Nashville to Vicksburg, MS. #We also bought one named Moody Bluegrass and it is produced by Dave Harvey...who also plays alot of mandolin on it. It is great, also. #The Gibson Showcase is a wonderful place and is FILLED with extremely talented and very nice people. Thanks to everyone who made our visit so much fun!

We'll see you again in March!

Ed & Dorothy http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif # #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

carleshicks
Feb-09-2005, 12:25am
It has been over three weeks now since I reiceved The orchard and it has not left my CD player yet.

andiwayne
Feb-18-2005, 5:12pm
If any of you folks will be at Wintergrass on Thursday, Danny will be there with The Grascals (on the mainstage and bluegras Karaoke) and would enjoy the opportunity to meet some fellow "coMandos". Like the rest of you mando-crazies, Danny always likes to check out everybody's mandolins to further worsen his bad case of MAS. He will also have a few copies of his CD "Mandolin Orchard" with him <g>.

Thanks!

Andrea Roberts
Secretary to Danny Roberts http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

djeffcoat
Feb-18-2005, 5:24pm
If you have a high speed internet connection you can watch or download The Grascals performance on the Woodsongs Old-Time Radio show.

http://www.woodsongs.com/showlist.asp

DJ

ShaneJ
Mar-12-2005, 5:10pm
I finally got this CD, and WOW! I really like it. If you don't have it, you're missing out on a good one.

hjohnson
Mar-13-2005, 10:25am
I picked up Danny's CD at Wintergrass after hearing him play with the Grascals - now my favorite band. Got their CD too. If you have the chance, do not miss these guys! And yes, Danny is a mando monster - with taste galore. Sign me up for the fan club.

Hal Johnson
_
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stopped playing.

fatt-dad
Mar-13-2005, 6:37pm
fatt-dad joins the fann clubb!! I thought at first, I'd just give up - wow, that's some picking. It's a wall of music and it's all great. Big yeah on the guitar picking, fiddle playing and the ban)o rolls, too!!

What's that about the bass player for the CTDs? Is that Mr. Robert's alter ego for real?

fatt-dad

Big Joe
Mar-14-2005, 10:05am
The bass player on Danny's CD Mandolin Orchard is his wife, Andrea. She is a well known entity in Bluegrass herself and a Great bass player. She happens to be a wonderful lady also. Isn't it great to have the whole package!

fatt-dad
Mar-14-2005, 12:25pm
Wow ! Who would have thought that the bass player for the Crash Test Dummies not only could play mandolin, but play #it WELL???!!!
BigJoe, I also noted the bass playing on the Mandolin Orchard albumn did a fine job too. I was confused about the quote by Krishna (cited herein).

I will also offer yet another review of the albumn. Not to complain, but how would Mr. Roberts perform the tunes on the albumn in real life? The record certainly has some overdubbing 'cause I hear the mandolin in both the lead and rhythm at the same time.

I may just have to learn some of these tunes (I won't give up, I won't give up. . . .)

f-d

Big Joe
Mar-14-2005, 1:07pm
Danny can play as well live as he does recorded. Some of the tunes had no overdubbing. They were done in 1 take. Some may well have had more than 1 take, though I cannot tell you which. I know the last song was done in 1 take. Danny is that good in real life. He just finished a tour with Dolly Pardon with the Grassicals. He had his own band for many years called "New Tradition". If you can get any of those albums you will be greatly pleased.

fatt-dad
Mar-14-2005, 3:56pm
And one more thing - next time I see the monthly "Gibson Bashing Thread" we can just cite the mandolin sounds on this record. No doubt, A) great sound and B) that's a Gibson!

f-d