PDA

View Full Version : Chinquapin Hunting - Bruce Molsky

onassis
Jan-29-2013, 1:55pm
Warning - No MC!*

http://vimeo.com/50631385

Just encountered this and wanted to share it - the most propulsive, dynamic version of CH I've yet seen. Very different than the Bruce Molsky I'm accustomed to.

*Okay, i first heard this tune via the Cafe, so that's almost MC.:whistling:

JeffD
Jan-29-2013, 1:57pm
I have a recording of Ramona Jones (wife of Grandpa Jones) playing that on mandolin. Really nice tune.

I was unable to get to your link.

onassis
Jan-29-2013, 2:08pm
Hmm...worked for me, although my embed attempt failed. It is Vimeo, which i typically hate. I'll let someone else try and see if it works for them.

jaycat
Jan-29-2013, 2:17pm
The link worked for me.

It was fun watching the cello player but it would have been nice to hear some soloing. Otherwise . . . two minutes would have been plenty.

Jim Garber
Jan-29-2013, 5:38pm
Just encountered this and wanted to share it - the most propulsive, dynamic version of CH I've yet seen. Very different than the Bruce Molsky I'm accustomed to.

That is a serious allstar band: the others are Tatiana Hargreaves, Jim Miller on guitar and Rushad Eggleston on cello.

coletrickle
Jan-29-2013, 5:58pm
The link worked for me.

It was fun watching the cello player but it would have been nice to hear some soloing. Otherwise . . . two minutes would have been plenty.

This style doesn't lend itself to soloing...it is more about rhythmic drive (rooted in dance music) than individual solos. Pretty typical approach for old time fiddle music (like you would hear at Clifftop). I certainly understand the desire for variance...but it goes with the territory.

JeffD
Jan-29-2013, 6:19pm
It worked this time. Must have been some temporary glitch or operator error.

Loved it.

Yea thats one thing I love (really love) about old time music - the arrangements are great.

"OK, on this one its all in unison 34534 times."

"Now on this one, we play in unison, its all, all, all, all, etc., about 34534 times."

"This time just repeat the melody about 34534 times. All in."

doc holiday
Jan-29-2013, 6:28pm
MC Content ! Loved the version. My favorite though is the Joe Walsh version off one of his CDs.
Here's a Youtube hit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S53XG-OjF_U

onassis
Jan-29-2013, 6:47pm
That is a serious allstar band: the others are Tatiana Hargreaves, Jim Miller on guitar and Rushad Eggleston on cello

AH! I thought it might be Rushad Eggleston. I've yet to see another cello player do what he does.

John Ritchhart
Jan-29-2013, 6:49pm
I gotta say the Molsky version was fantastic. I loved the energy.

Jonathan James
Jan-29-2013, 7:05pm
Fantastic! Bruce is incredible. And I wondered what happened Jim Miller after he left Donna the Buffalo...Thanks for sharing it. Great stuff.

woodwizard
Jan-29-2013, 7:09pm
That's Old-time!!!... everyone playing the melody together forever. I love it. We play Chiquapin Huntin that very same style in my OT band. One of my favorites. Good Music any OLD-TIME!

Shelagh Moore
Jan-29-2013, 7:45pm
Wonderful! Furnace Mountain also do a great version of this tune.

Charlieshafer
Jan-29-2013, 7:55pm
This style doesn't lend itself to soloing...it is more about rhythmic drive (rooted in dance music) than individual solos. Pretty typical approach for old time fiddle music (like you would hear at Clifftop). I certainly understand the desire for variance...but it goes with the territory.

Yeah, that's pretty much it for the hard-core old-timers, but the same goes with bluegrass in that there are a lot of less-than-trad bands which do great things with the old time songs, even if the format isn't traditional. The Mammals, the Duhks, Crooked Still, all were innovative in the arrangements. The purists may not like it, but it's great stuff. Bruce is now playing part time in a band called the Old Tome Kosmic Trio with Darol Anger and Rushad. Even with the old-time roots, there's a lot of room for soloing for those guys.

If you want to see more of Rushad, the best videos are from the Crooked Still era. Here's one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkAeyi8IeKA

Marty Jacobson
Jan-29-2013, 8:51pm
Yeah, Rushad's playing is some of my favorite of any genre on any instrument.

Not sure he needs to dress up like Captain Jack Sparrow to make it work, but, hey. As long as he keeps playing, I'm happy.

onassis
Jan-29-2013, 9:08pm
The thing that really caught me at first (and on many repeated views) were the subtle changes every time through - different harmonies, slight changes in melody dynamics, slurs - they completely own it. Blows me away.

Tripp Johnson
Jan-29-2013, 9:24pm
That's it right there!

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-30-2013, 2:30am
Many thanks for the links to the 2 'Chinquapin Hunting' videos,both of which now reside on my PC for further indulgence ie.i'm going to attempt to play it !. Where did that tune originate from ?. Listening to Bruce Molsky's version,all that was needed was an accordion & it would have been almost pure Cajun. One other thing that i noticed,is that to perform the tune correctly,it requires the participation of a very lovely young woman on the Fiddle.:grin:
Here's another Bruce Molsky tune,one which i can play & which suits me better than Adam Steffey's 'break neck speed' version,which i can also play, but during which my tendonitis affected hands scream STOP ! - http://youtu.be/nFENHHdxobU,
Ivan;)