PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 Virginia Luthiers know how to pick also!

f5loar
Jan-27-2013, 4:21pm
I ran across this little youtube video of the gathering of 4 of Virginia's top builders of mandolins,fiddles and guitars getting together for a little jam recording session during the fall of this past year at the old Carter Family homestead in VA.
These are the {Carter Fold Sessions}.
Fiddle - Jimmy Edmonds; Guitar - Wayne Henderson; Bass - Gerald Anderson; Mandolin -- Spencer Strickland
This pretty much proves they not only can they build some of the finest instruments but can pick them too! If you like this one there are two more songs on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4KJQT4G7jI

OldSausage
Jan-27-2013, 5:39pm
q4KJQT4G7jI

Embedded.

Charley wild
Jan-27-2013, 6:02pm
Thanks F5 and David. That sure brightened up a snowy afternoon!:)

f5loar
Jan-27-2013, 6:33pm
Anybody know what kind of F5 style mandolin Strictland is playing? He had a choice of a Henderson or an Anderson or did he build his own?

re simmers
Jan-27-2013, 6:40pm
I don't know what mandolin he's playing, but the last part of his mandolin break is fantastic. Very tasteful music.

I love the sound of that guitar, a deep woody sound.

Bob

Jake Howard
Jan-27-2013, 6:48pm
Spence is playing his Anderson mandolin that Gerald build for him awhile back.

sunburst
Jan-27-2013, 6:59pm
Never mind...

Geoff B
Jan-27-2013, 8:07pm
4 top Virginia luthiers... I was hoping to see John Hamlett (banjo, right?)...

bones12
Jan-27-2013, 8:11pm
Very nice. It is cold here in Vermont tonight but it was hot in Virginia that October night. Beautiful. Doug in vermont

palosfv3
Jan-29-2013, 2:17pm
I keep listening to this video at least a couple of times a day . It really brightens up a dull day. Thanks F5 !!!!!!!!!

f5loar
Jan-29-2013, 3:38pm
I didn't think banjo builders were luthiers. They are just "parts put togetherers". To be honest I've not heard of John Hamlet's banjos but would have been nice to have rounded out the session with a banjo builder.

sunburst
Jan-29-2013, 4:23pm
I don't build many banjos anymore, but I do play banjo... not as well as I used to. I've never met Jimmy Edmonds, but I know those other guys and it would certainly be fun picking with them (if not kicking their butts playing poker!).