PDA

View Full Version : Found on my local CraigsList

Daxos
Jan-27-2013, 12:30am
Any idea what's going on with this banjo mandolin (http://charleston.craigslist.org/msg/3567407531.html)? Maker? Age? Anything really, it's just kinda cool.

Thanks in advance.

allenhopkins
Jan-27-2013, 1:04am
Looks like a decent "trade quality" instrument to me, such as the ones that are marked "Vernon," "Bruno," and such-like. There were tons of these made 1910-25 or so, until the fad passed. They were sold through catalogs and at music stores. The price is a bit optimistic, since mandolin banjos are definitely out of fashion, but this one seems in good shape.

If you want it -- and the anti-mandolin-banjo crowd doesn't talk you out of it -- I'd offer less than $200 and see if the seller will bargain. I paid about that amount for my Vega Little Wonder, and that's a marked instrument by a respected maker. I've had people give me unmarked mandolin banjos, with torn heads perhaps, because they weren't wanted. Played one this week that was a gift; after I spent $70 for a new head and set-up, very playable (if raucous).

MikeEdgerton
Jan-27-2013, 4:13pm
You can buy similar instruments much cheaper most of the time on eBay. If you've never owned a banjo mandolin plan on spending an inordinate amount of your time tuning it.

Daxos
Jan-27-2013, 6:38pm
I have no desire to buy it, I was just curious if anyone had any information on it. Thanks though.