PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Smart 2 point Mandola

Chip Booth
Jan-26-2013, 5:01pm
This mandola was requested by a touring musician so hopefully we will have the chance to see it and hear it in the near future. The design will look familiar to many of you that have seen Arthur Stern's pair of Smart instruments from some years ago. I never had the chance to play those, but I can tell you that this is a typically strong and full sounding Smart mandola, and for those of you that have played one you know how good that is. I think of all of his alternate designs I have played this sounds the most like one of Lawrence's more traditional F instruments.

97512 97513 97511
97507 97508 97509 97510

Marty Jacobson
Jan-26-2013, 5:30pm
How the heck does he keep getting better? :disbelief:
Lawrence has nailed the perfect balance of tradition and originality on this one.

JEStanek
Jan-26-2013, 6:54pm
Fabulous. Really great design.

Jamie

Lawrence Smart
Jan-26-2013, 7:24pm
the design is thanks to the fabulous Arthur Stern who brought me a pile of his evolving sketches of this instrument quite a few years ago. I feel fortunate to be able to revisit this design.

Gary Hedrick
Jan-26-2013, 7:32pm
Might nice and that back is just......well.....well......stunning.

SternART
Jan-26-2013, 7:37pm
WOW!!! I'd like to hear/play that one!

Great revisit Lawrence......beautiful wood selection as usual......boy I miss mine, but selling my instrument collection got me thru some years of no work. I was able to keep the studio going & now am finally busy again. The dola Lawrence & I collaborated on had a mando lil' brother......a matched set. I tried to make the shapes all relate to each other, have a flow to them, with a bit inspiration from Monteleone's Radio Flyers.

Ron McMillan
Jan-26-2013, 10:55pm
In a musical instrument category that isn't known for its originality or willingness to go new places or take risks, these are a breath of fresh air. Lovely work.

ron

Don Grieser
Jan-27-2013, 12:11am
Spectacular! The back is out of this world beautiful, and the whole design concept is carried out to perfection. WOW!

blauserk
Jan-27-2013, 11:07am
Spectacular! The back is out of this world beautiful . . . .

I agree. I need another mandolin slightly less than a hole in the head, but smart really makes some beautiful, unconventional mandolins. I still kinda regret not getting the black two-point mando with block inlays that he sold a year or so ago. It was the little brother of the oval 10-string fan-fret in the classifieds now.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/63122

Ah! Here was the one I should have pounced on:

Jim Garber
Jan-27-2013, 4:15pm
That is another beauty by Lawrence, for sure. I would wear protective eyewear around that peghead. You could easily poke your eye out. ;)

Mark Seale
Mar-12-2013, 11:03am
In the smallish world realm, this beauty had its picture posted on FB today by an ecstatic owner. It is a work of art.

j. condino
Mar-12-2013, 12:03pm
Lawrence builds great instruments, but he's also one of the nicest folks you'll meet!

j.
www.condino.com

Lord of the Badgers
Mar-12-2013, 1:16pm
Fan frets??! (the 10s-string above)... er???! that's so cool!

Chip Booth
Jun-19-2013, 11:33am
I just noticed this video from the owner of the 2 point mandola, Forrest O'Conner, son of Mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PEDcJyGAVKE#