PDA

View Full Version : Another home recording question

nathan
Jan-23-2013, 6:08pm
I've read the threads on looping, USB mics, and digital recording, and it appears that there are many options for home recording that a lot of people are satisfied with. Before I start digging deeper into those options, though, I figure I should see if that is even necessary.

My only plans for recording are simple solo mandolin tunes. I made a CD of Christmas music as a gift last year by running a microphone through a Behringer Eurorack UB802, and from that into GarageBand on my Mac. As far as I can tell that worked just fine, but my question is, are there newer devices (such as those discussed in the other threads?) that are more convenient or user friendly, or that just plain sound better?

Baron Collins-Hill
Jan-23-2013, 9:25pm
I've got an Audio Technica AT2020 USB Mic that sounds great in my opinion. Just plug in to your computer and you are good to go.

No mandolin content, but my buddies did a good chunk of the recording for this album on the same mic, going into garageband.

http://palecowboy.bandcamp.com/

Happy hunting,
Baron

Jim
Jan-26-2013, 3:23pm
The stand alone recorders like the Zoom H2/H4 don't require plugging anything in, you just turn them on and play. This could be a little easier than what you are doing. As for sounding better that more or less depends on the quality of the microphone you're using. Your system seems quite functional for your purpose.

nathan
Jan-27-2013, 6:23pm
Thanks for the input, guys.

Spencer
Jan-27-2013, 9:03pm
The stand alone recorders like the Zoom H2/H4 don't require plugging anything in, you just turn them on and play.

I have an H4, and it works fine with the mikes in it as is. But you can also plug in 2 other mikes if you choose. It has phantom power so you could use high quality, condenser mikes if you want. I got it because I didn't want lug a computer or bunch of junk around. It's quite easy to put stuff on the computer, basically a USB plug-in. Something you can grow with, if you decide you want to do more, also good if you want to make field recordings. But there are many good options around.

Spencer