PDA

View Full Version : Cords and lyrics to Cooders Shine and BBB

Jan Ellefsen
Jan-20-2005, 6:11pm
Can anyone tell me where I can find lyrics and cords to "Shine" and "Big Bad Bill" on Ry Cooders "Jazz" CD?

Peter Hackman
Jan-23-2005, 12:44pm
You can find the lyrics to "Shine" if you google on "that's why they call me shine".
There are also interesting historical and social comments on the song.
The verse is quite elaborate, but the chorus is fairly simple, with changes
every two bars. Too bad I didn't keep the record...

jmcgann
Jan-23-2005, 2:13pm
Don't know Ry's versions well (I do hjave the CD but haven't learned them), but can hear "Shine" on the Grisman and Grapelli recording and I think Matt Glaser sang it on Jazz Violin Celebration (w/ Darol Anger + Dave Balakrishnan). Your chords (and key) may vary but I hear it like this, for starters without a lot of passing chords:

C/ C Ebo7/Dm7/G7/C/ C Ebo7/Dm7/G7
E7/E7/Am7/Am7/D7/D7/G7/G7

C/ C Ebo7/Dm7/G7/E7/E7/Am7/Am7
F/F#o7/C/A7/D7/G7/C/G

If I remember right, that's the key used on the Grisman/Grapelli version. This is a real standard swing progression-once you know (and can hear) this, you should be able to crack the code on hundreds of standards from "All Of Me" on down...

Peter Hackman
Jan-24-2005, 5:37am
This forum seems to be a good source, directly or
via links, of chord sequences:

http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/

Jan Ellefsen
Jan-24-2005, 6:31pm
Thanks for your answers.
Peter, for some reason I’m getting a “You don't have permission to access” message to the address you gave.
John I’m very impressed that you took the time to answer. As an aspiring swing mando player I’ve been all over your site and listened to a lot of your music.
I’ve also got the Grappelli /Grisman version. They only play the chorus and like Peter wrote the verse on Cooder’s version is very different from the chorus.
In the chorus I had figured out this progression(in G):

G6/Bbdim/Am7/D7/ G6/Bbdim/Am7/D7
B7/B7/Em7/Em7/A7/A7/D7/D7
G6/Bbdim/Am7/D7/B7/B7/Em7/Em7/Am7/Dbdim/G6/E7/A7/D7/G6

With the G6 I think it gets a nice chromatic feel. I would be grateful if you would give a comment, because as I said I’m still very much in the “aspiring” stage.

Jan

jmcgann
Jan-24-2005, 6:42pm
Hi Jan- looks pretty much the same transposed from C to G. If you think "number function" you can play in all 12 keys:

I/bIIIdim/IIm7/V7 etc.

Don't be intimidated, the number 12 makes it very finite! If you did one key a week, in 3 months you'd have done them all. In a year you could review them all 4 times...

That's traditional jazz way of dealing with chord changes. Thanks for your kind comments!

Peter Hackman
Jan-25-2005, 12:28am
Thanks for your answers.
Peter, for some reason I’m getting a “You don't have

Jan
Try:http://www.guitarseminars.com/
and click your way to the forum