PDA

View Full Version : Ain' 'bout nothin', but: Questions?

belbein
Jan-22-2013, 7:13am
Someone elses' post got me thinking: What are the questions that start us off on some Quixotic (or noble!) quest? For example:

--Every one of my stories or novels has started with the question: What would happen if ...?

--Each of my very educational carpentry projects began with: Really, how hard could it be?

Y'all? Humorous or serious, as you choose. I mean, whats the worst that could happen?

AlanN
Jan-22-2013, 7:47am
Uh...this is a mandolin board.

What am I missing here?

JEStanek
Jan-22-2013, 9:12am
"If I practice really hard I can I play like Thile and build like Brentrup?" May have spawned some frustrated playing and the purchase of an IV mandolin kit I passed on to another.

Jamie

allenhopkins
Jan-22-2013, 11:08am
"How bad could it be, playing that biker bar?"

"She really looks cute, no harm in some innocent flirtation."

"Wow, it's on sale! Sure I can learn to play hammered dulcimer/piano accordion/tenor sax…"

"I can do my own set-up; it's just common sense, right? Lessee, bet I got a socket that'll fit that truss rod nut…"

And perhaps more relevant to the Cafe:

"What a dumb post! Let's just slip in a nasty snarky comment; no one'll take offense, and the moderators won't mind!"

catmandu2
Jan-22-2013, 11:27am
hammered dulcimer/piano accordion/tenor sax…"

Three of my favorite instruments (you should learn them ; )

Now, I did resist the temptation to study sitar

What are the questions that start us off on some Quixotic (or noble!) quest?

Sound

This (quest for sound) has been the most compelling aspect of my involvement with music (and has inspired me to study such a variety of music and playing. The sound--the most compelling and "noblest" subject...the longer I'm involved with music, the more compelling this quest evolves)

Bertram Henze
Jan-22-2013, 11:58am
It requires more optimism than I ever had to enter into an adventure based on a missing answer for "why should this go wrong?" (in predicate logic this is known as "weak negation").

My question has always been: where is the emergency exit?

MikeEdgerton
Jan-22-2013, 1:18pm
You could also discuss why so many people's last words are "Watch this!"

John Flynn
Jan-22-2013, 2:56pm
Someone elses' post got me thinking: What are the questions that start us off on some Quixotic (or noble!) quest? For example:

--Every one of my stories or novels has started with the question: What would happen if ...?

--Each of my very educational carpentry projects began with: Really, how hard could it be?

Y'all? Humorous or serious, as you choose. I mean, whats the worst that could happen?

Hmm...Every one of my stories or novels starts out, "It was a dark and stormy night..." :disbelief:

Some I can think of are:

"If I do enough research, I can find an F-5 for under $1,000 that sounds like a '24 Loar."

"If I pay enough for a pick, I can sound like Thile."

"Spending time on the Cafe' message board could be equal to actual mandolin practice in improving me as a player."

I've tried them all! ;)

Randi Gormley
Jan-22-2013, 4:41pm
A question that's kept me out of trouble on some of the boards: these guys are all adults; do they really need a mother to tell them to behave?

OldSausage
Jan-22-2013, 5:36pm

Apparently a surprisingly high proportion of people's last words are "Go on then, shoot me!" I hope to save a few lives by advising people to avoid this phrase if at all possible.

dawgmike94
Jan-22-2013, 8:34pm
I wonder what it would sound like if...

belbein
Jan-22-2013, 9:02pm
Apparently a surprisingly high proportion of people's last words are "Go on then, shoot me!" I hope to save a few lives by advising people to avoid this phrase if at all possible.

That's great. There's also: "You wouldn't dare!" and "You don't have the guts!" and my favorite, "Go ahead, make my day."

belbein
Jan-22-2013, 9:08pm
Uh...this is a mandolin board.

What am I missing here?

This is the Miscellaneous/General Mandolin discussions part of the board. The place for philosophy. Tell me this is any more stupid than another discussion about whether live music is dying* or which $150 starter mandolin kit to buy from which online retailer.

Thanks, everyone for playing along. I enjoyed your answers.

-----
* I'm proud to say I started that one, and I wasn't even trying to stir the pot. It was quite educational, actually. I learned a lot. Including the necessity for asbestos underwear.

catmandu2
Jan-31-2013, 10:38am
If you're a student of music--if you don't have a question, you're in trouble; because everything you want to know about music--is not in a book

-Lawrence D. “Butch” Morris, 1947-2013

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/01/postscript-butch-morris-1947-2013.html

sunburst
Jan-31-2013, 11:01am
With me, instead of "what would happen if...?, it's usually "...I think I can do that...".

Austin Bob
Jan-31-2013, 11:10am
Just how hard can playing the bass be?

So far I have learned that it's fairly easy for a decent guitar player to be a very mediocre bass player.

Graing
Jan-31-2013, 11:50am

"Here, hold my beer"

JeffD
Jan-31-2013, 12:37pm
Someone elses' post got me thinking: What are the questions that start us off on some Quixotic (or noble!) quest? ?

How many different kind of mandolins are there?