PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Me (for once)

P.D. Kirby
Jan-21-2013, 7:37am
This morning around 6am I was enjoying a cup of Joe reading the forum and listening to the local Bluegrass station. They had a contest where caller number 21 (in honor of MLK Day) wins 4 front row tickets and stage passes to the Feb. 11 Punch Brothers. The cool part is they are performing at The Jefferson Theater which was Charlottesville's first Theater built in 1912 for Vaudeville, The Local Orchestra, Plays and eventually Silent Movies. When I was a kid we used to go to the Saturday Matinee's there which was about the only thing to do in a town (then) of 15k people. The Jefferson closed it's doors in the late 70s and in 2003 (thereabouts) The Historical Society completely restored the Theater complete with the original all wood construction for the walls and ceilings to the original Blue Prints and the Acoustics are phenomenal, it only seats about 350. About a year after completion they started to book some big name acts and the place has been jumping ever since. I will make sure to take as many pictures as possible and even some video if they allow it. Thile played at the Open Air Pavilion with Nickel Creek (three blocks away) 3 times in the early 2000s and we went to all of the shows. Early bird get's the worm! :mandosmiley: Oh I forgot to say, I WON!!! woo hoo

F-2 Dave
Jan-21-2013, 7:40am
Congratulations. Four tickets is a lot for one guy and I just happen to be free on the 11th, just sayin'.

P.D. Kirby
Jan-21-2013, 7:47am
If you want to fight one of my Daughters for their ticket go for it, just be warned they are all diehard Thile fans. Then again they didn't get up yet so they don't know. How much you offering??? :))

Laird
Jan-21-2013, 8:20am
I'll say you're lucky--a local bluegrass station?! That sounds like heaven! (Oh yeah, and the tickets, too.)

Jim
Jan-21-2013, 8:46am
Congrats, Punch Bros in a small theater with good acoustics, doesn't get much better than that. Have fun.

jmalmsteen
Jan-21-2013, 9:11am
Congratulations!

Jeff Oxley
Jan-21-2013, 9:43am
Congrats on your good luck, PD. I saw the Stringdusters there last year on New Year's Eve, and saw Trampled by Turtles there last May (I think it was May, anyway)...a great and quite historic venue, with good acoustics as well. When is the show, I'd be willing to check the PB's out again (seen 'em 5 or 6 times but never gets old!). Of course, I'm not sure why I'm asking when I know the next internet stop I make--AFTER I get off the Cafe--is the Jefferson Theater site. A better question is: local bluegrass station? WHERE?! You're in Palmyra which isn't too for from me (Lynchburg area), maybe I can pick it up. We had one here a few years ago but it was wholly member-supported, and apparently didn't get enough support to continue (I chipped in my $20 but it was obviously not enough). Anyway...enjoy the show!

journeybear
Jan-21-2013, 10:26am
Congratulations! Free is always good, and winning even better. :cool:

I've won radio stuff a few times, the most memorable having almost-mandolin content. The local country station (living in CT at the time, a rarity - and now gone) was running a name-that-tune contest. They played one note, I was sitting there with six numbers dialed, and, recognizing that note, immediately punched it in, and won. The song was "Oye Como Va" by Santana - very distinctive tone on that organ. The prize was two tickets to see Tanya Tucker, with Desert Rose Band opening. Ended up being a good show - not a big TT fan, but she was big at the time and had a bunch of good songs, and DRB were very good, even if Chris Hillman didn't play mandolin. (I did say "almost" MC.) The kicker is, this was the same venue where I had seen my first rock concert back in 1965, three local bands opening for The Byrds. Very circular, especially with this being a theater in the round with a revolving stage. :grin: Hung out by the stage door afterward, and told Hillman that part of the story. Didn't seem too excited about it. Eh. Probably didn't remember being there before. It had been twenty years or more.

Anyway ... Have fun! Enjoy the show. And enjoy being the coolest dad in the world. While it lasts ... ;)

P.D. Kirby
Jan-21-2013, 3:02pm
Congrats on your good luck, PD. I saw the Stringdusters there last year on New Year's Eve, and saw Trampled by Turtles there last May (I think it was May, anyway)...a great and quite historic venue, with good acoustics as well. When is the show, I'd be willing to check the PB's out again (seen 'em 5 or 6 times but never gets old!). Of course, I'm not sure why I'm asking when I know the next internet stop I make--AFTER I get off the Cafe--is the Jefferson Theater site. A better question is: local bluegrass station? WHERE?! You're in Palmyra which isn't too for from me (Lynchburg area), maybe I can pick it up. We had one here a few years ago but it was wholly member-supported, and apparently didn't get enough support to continue (I chipped in my $20 but it was obviously not enough). Anyway...enjoy the show!

WVCV they are a little AM radio station that plays Bluegrass and Bluegrass Gospel, mostly from the 4os, 50s, and 60s from 10 pm to 6 am most days. I think they are in a barn somewhere in Orange County. It's a great station if you can pick it up, I'm only about 30 minutes from Orange and some mornings I can barely get it. I like it because the owner has a early Bluegrass collection to kill for. Stuff I haven't heard since I was very young, long long ago. It's not CD quality but considering the content I think it's fitting that there is a little static in it. Makes me want to go out and buy a RCA Table Top Tube Set.

We saw Heart there (Unplugged) two years ago and I was deaf for a week anyway, the place is small. Most of their acts are top shelf and they only charge around $25 a ticket no matter the Act, the money goes to keeping the place open so I would Imagine most acts play for free or very little. Tickets usually sell out in an hour for the good ones.