PDA

View Full Version : SPBGMA in Nashville, Feb 3-6

Stephen Perry
Jan-20-2005, 7:13am
http://www.spbgma.com/convention/index.html

I'll be there with a pretty decent range of Eastman mandolins. I know people have been curious about these, so I figured I'd take some to a reasonable venue. I have a couple of tables in the middle of the exhibit area. I'd like to see other mandolins, too, so I encourage anyone with anything interesting who is there to stop by and we can compare toys.

Steve Perry

diamond ace
Jan-20-2005, 5:00pm
I'll be there and look foward to seeing an 815 and 915 if you have them. I was wondering if you have to have tickets to get into the exhibit area? Anybody know the answer to this one.

Stephen Perry
Jan-20-2005, 9:52pm
That's a good question. I get 2 tickets with the booth. Maybe 4 because I got 2 tables. I hope 4, so the kids can get in, too! I'll have a room, so I might be able to arrange private quiet testings, too.

Should be fun, anyway. I'll have at least a 915. I haven't opened all the cases that arrived today. Can't remember what I ordered.

Big Joe
Jan-20-2005, 10:25pm
I'll be there with a good selection of Gibson's. :cool: . Just could not resist.

Stephen Perry
Jan-21-2005, 7:19am
Well, it isn't much of a drive for the Gibson folks! In other threads I have seen some Gibson bashing. I visited there and was very impressed with the current quality level and general perfomance. I've owned (traded to me usually) Gibson mandolins from 1996 and 2000. The construction and finish quality of all the mandolins I saw late last year at the showcase was higher than the two that I had. The distressed master model was truly excellent in workmanship and antiquing, with some very fine detailing. There were a couple of things that didn't look really quite right to my eye, but I do antiqued finishes myself constantly so I am very used to looking.

Would be fun to work at the showcase factory for a month. I've never made mandolins. I can't seem to catch up with the violins, anyway, so I don't really need to make the things! Although I'd like to make mayself one.

Fortunately Eastman's stuff and Gibson stuff doesn't really compete at the same price point. I'd have certainly considered handling Gibson if they had a normal relationship with dealers. The prices are also somewhat breathtaking!

futrconslr
Jan-21-2005, 7:23am
You do have ot have a ticket to get in. At least you did a couple of years ago.

MTaylor
Feb-01-2005, 10:43am
Just wanted to let everyone that Mark & Tut will be there at Crafters of Tennessee booth, will have two "Tennessee 5"s and some "Prodigal 5"s.........We will have alot of banjos etc......alot of picking....Mike Compton, Dan Kelly, Tom Ruthledge, "Tiny"..just to name a few....etc....we will also be offering tours of "Crafters of Tennessee facility....hope to see you there

MTaylor
Feb-01-2005, 3:57pm
We just found out that we are having a picking at our booth on Thurs. evening......Tom Rutledge (guitar and banjo player for Alan Jackson), Dan Kelly (mandolin and fiddler for Alan Jackson, also he was "Grand Master Fiddler in the eighties), "Tiny" Rick Hargis....banjo player amoung others......hope to see you all there...Mark