PDA

View Full Version : Construction materials/ pros cons

Rayce
Feb-23-2004, 8:51pm
I'm planning to order a custom mandolin for myself and I want to get some things straight before i jump in and order up. What are the differences between Sitka Spruce, Western Cedar, and Adirondack Spruce? Whats the difference between Tonebar bracing and cross bracing? Do different bindings serve a purpose other than satisfying asthetic preference?

Michael Lewis
Feb-24-2004, 1:41am
There are several aspects to many of these points. The top wood (sound board) relates in a re sale regard in that Adirondak spruce will currently bring more money on the market than sitka, engelmann, or cedar. The tonal characteristics of each wood variety are only generalities, and it is more the luthier than the wood when it comes to the actual tone, even though the wood does 'flavor' the tone. Generally the X bracing provides a fuller more open tone, but I have heard X braced instruments that sound like tone bar braced instruments. Tone bars reinforce the stiffness along the grain and help make that bluegrass sound. So again, it's more the person that puts it all together rather than the bracing pattern. Binding is there to absorb bumps and shocks to the instrument, so something that is more tough and flexible would be better than sometning that is brittle. If you can take good care of the instrument then you can have bindings that are selected entirely for their cosmetic appeal.

I think you should let the luthier know what sort of tone qualities you prefer and how you want it to look, and let him/her decide on the materials and structural design. No bracing style is better than any other, except some people prefer one over the other. The same goes for the materials, except some pieces of wood are just better than others. YOU won't be able to tell the difference because you will not be able to compare different top billets to select the best one, the luthier will have to do that. Here is where you need to trust his/her experience and judgment. Enjoy the process, and good luck.