PDA

View Full Version : Bill Monroe Bio...

BenE
Dec-05-2003, 12:38pm
I just finished this book and wanted to recommend it to anyone wanting to know more about the Big Mon. It is a well written book with some great pics and stories. Highly recommended!

Coy Wylie
Dec-05-2003, 2:28pm
Ditto. I read it a couple of months ago. Put on your Christmas wish list.

evanreilly
Dec-05-2003, 10:24pm
If you want to add another volume to the Bill Monroe bookshelf, also consider Tom Ewing's Bill Monroe Reader. Tom Ewing was Monroe's 'guitar man' for over ten years and is a writer for BlueGrass Unlimited.
Ewing has collected a number (65?) of articles written about Bill Monroe. He has added extensive notes to the articles regarding their content. An excellent insight into the music and life of Monroe.

WV Mike
Feb-09-2004, 12:50pm
I'm almost finished with my copy. I know I've learned a lot about Monroe and the history of bluegrass.

straight-a
Feb-09-2004, 1:39pm
Just read it a few weeks ago. Amazing insight into the mind of an artist.

Christopher Howard-Williams
Feb-09-2004, 4:40pm
I just ordered it from County Sales. Looking forward even more to receiving it.

mrbook
Feb-15-2004, 10:27pm
The book is full of anecdotes and personal stories about Monroe, not all of which show him in the best light light, but they all show the kind of person it takes to make the music he did. Even when less than perfect, I never lost my admiration for him, and most of the stories are just plain funny. Essential reading.

Fretbear
Feb-15-2004, 11:13pm
The story about New Yorker Steve Arkin's stint down south as a Bluegrass Boy in the early sixties is hilarious, like something out of "Deliverance".

Stillpicking
Feb-16-2004, 12:10am
I am about 1/2 way finished, great read, I would say it is well worth the time and the few bucks for this book.

Christopher Howard-Williams
Feb-17-2004, 6:07am
My copy arrived this morning (along with 2 days at Newport) !!

Moose
Feb-17-2004, 11:00am
I read both the above mentioned publications - Snagged 'em when they arrived - kept 'em in my desk till I finished 'em. THEN processed 'em thru our system so others could enjoy 'em here at the University Library... (well, it's just one of the "perks of my job... hee.. hee..) - And yes!, both were/are a "must-have" for the serious Monroe student. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif Moose-the-librarian - (a.k.a Moose-the-used-to-be-musician).