PDA

View Full Version : First mando success!

todda
Jan-18-2013, 3:44pm
High on my first mando build - thought I would toss it out to show.
I thought I would compound the issue by building a custom style. This is a hybrid body modeled after a gypsy jazz guitar. BIG leaning curve.
Spruce top, curly maple back and sides. Custom MOP Kio inlay.
The problems - hit a sap pocket in the top once I started carving, decided to keep it. Thinned to back too think on the upper bout and put my finger thru it - kept it and made it an extra sound port - I tell people I planned it that way.
Tone is actually what i was shooting (hoping) for - deep and woody. Action is pretty low and smooth. Learning, learning, learning...... this forum has been an essential store house of info on the various stages and techniques - MUCH APPRECIATE the community for sharing.
On to the next 3 builds to improve the fit, finish and tone qualities.

Todd97105971069710797108

Londy
Jan-18-2013, 3:55pm
wow, Looks really good man! Id love to hear how it sounds. I am a big fan of oval hole mandos with the deeper more woody tone. You should post a video.

Marty Jacobson
Jan-18-2013, 4:23pm
That's a heck of a job for a first mandolin. Have you built other instruments? I will look forward to seeing what your next instruments look like. Build on!

FabMANDO
Jan-18-2013, 4:46pm
What can I say, AMAZING, only that! Want one! HOW MUCH!

rb3868
Jan-18-2013, 5:12pm
i'm very intrigued by the shape of the back. first off, it's lovely and must have taken a huge amount of time. Second, how does it affect the sound?

Marty Jacobson
Jan-18-2013, 5:15pm
Kinda looks familiar, doesn't it?

billhay4
Jan-18-2013, 5:43pm
Nice looking instrument. Got a sound clip for us?
Bill

todda
Jan-18-2013, 6:57pm
Regarding sound - I think the back curve is too deep. Again - first try at this & feel the overly developed arch is too dramatic aesthetically and does not take into consideration the air space. My next one will mimic the top profile more. I like the more deep sound, but this might not appeal to someone wanting a sonic cannon. I'll put more attention into the re-curve and flexing.
Time wise I did not think it would take longer, as I used as Fosner bit to set-up my depth layers and simply chiseled out from there.

todda
Jan-18-2013, 6:59pm
Marty - realty like your tail pieces!!!! I did not like the standard cast one that I used and would like to make a custom "archtop" style that fits the lines and appeal of the mandolin..... that's another wish list item.

todda
Jan-18-2013, 7:00pm
I spare the forum any sound clip. I'm a closet player.

Mule Train
Jan-18-2013, 9:03pm
Very very nice. Still would love to hear that beauty.

bluepaulsky
Jan-19-2013, 11:24am
very nice what finish is it:cool:

todda
Jan-19-2013, 12:18pm
I used LMI's MKT 9 Self Cross Link. I wanted a water based format. I found I would put coats on too thick (beginner) and they would pool in the re-curve, of that I would sand too much and break thru undercoats. Simply a process of practice. I like the results, just need to learn to handle and finish with it better.