PDA

View Full Version : vintage washburn flatback

John Rosett
Jan-20-2005, 12:14am
i've been offered a trade of a vintage washburn mandolin. the info i have is that it's from the 20's, and the model is 2424. i've seen one picture, and it's a bent top, like a martin. the owner says that it has no issues, and is ready to play.
i don't really have any experience with these kind of mandolins, and could use others opinions.
thanks, john

PlayerOf8
Jan-20-2005, 7:04am
Back in the '20s the 2424 was a good beginner instrument. Spruce top along with mahogony back and rims. Not as deep in the rims as a Martin, but a much brighter sound. I have sold three or four good ones right here on this site. They all play well, and I wouldn't think that you would want to pay for than $400 to $450 for one. Althought, last year, a dealer in Nashville had one in his shop priced at $595.00 and it sold in one day.They are much nicer and far better tone than some of the instruments manufactured in the past 25 years.

fatt-dad
Jan-20-2005, 8:28am
I would also expect a shorter scale length, which is one thing I don't like about my Alvarez knock-off (but then again, I have big hands).

f-d

PlayerOf8
Jan-20-2005, 8:48am
Fat man, you're right
the 2424 has a 13-1/2 scale

John Rosett
Jan-20-2005, 8:51pm
well,i guess that the little washburn is on it's way to me. i've never had, or even seriously sat down and played a mandolin like this one. of course, i could've said the same thing about vintage gibson oval hole mandolins a couple of years ago, and now i have one and love it.
so i could use some "care and feeding" tips. what's a good choice for strings, other than the TI's, whigh are a little pricey for me right now.
thanks,john

Bob DeVellis
Jan-20-2005, 9:27pm
I've used Martin lights on Martin flatbacks but have no experience with the Washburn flatbacks. The best advice is to err on the lighter rather than the heavier side. Definitely avoid anything intended for a modern, bluegrass-style mandolin. I think you'll find that intonation will be better with the proper gauge than with too heavy a guage. If it needs it, just clean it up a bit. Start with a soft dry cloth. If there's grunge that doesn't get, try a soft, barely damp cloth, but keep moisture away from any areas where there's bare wood. The next step up if it needs it, is using a cloth wht just the slightest amount of naptha (lighter fluid), which will dissolve some things water won't. If you decide to de-string it completely, you can buff up the frets a bit with steel wool and clean and oil the fingerboard as needed. Then restring, position the bridge correctly for intonation, and you're good to go. It might not need anything other than fresh strings or it may need a full setup from a luthier, but what I've suggested is a pretty common routine for a vintage instrument in good shape. It'll give you a chance to get some time in on the instrument and that may point you to other issues (e.g., if the frets are worn).

Jim Garber
Jan-20-2005, 10:19pm
Here is a catalog cut and description with price of the model 2424 from a 1920 Lyon & Healy catalog.

Jim

John Rosett
Jan-24-2005, 2:08pm
well, i recieved the mandolin today, and it's a pretty nice instrument, but i'm not really all that excited about it. i guess i'm just too used to the arch top mandolin.
i've got it listed on the classifieds, if anyone is interested.
john