PDA

View Full Version : Scroll-head Neapolitan, existent?

Levi
Jan-17-2013, 9:54pm
First post on cafe
woot woot

Anyway, as anyone ever seen a scroll-head Neapolitan mandolin? The only scroll-head I've seen or heard of is the Lyon and Healy, but that's just an A-style. I feel like this combination, maybe with an ornate tailpiece and some nice inlays too, would just have a stunning archaic look.

Just wondering.

Thanks in advance.

JEStanek
Jan-17-2013, 10:35pm
Like this one (http://www.east-start.com/index-27.html)?

Jamie

PS. Welcome to the Cafe. I love the L&H Style A. It's perhaps my favorite mandolin shape. I would never call it just an A style. ;)

brunello97
Jan-17-2013, 10:39pm
Sure. There have been various Neapolitan mandolins with different types of carved headstocks. Coming from the US, the Brandt mandolins from Chicago featured a scroll head.

I think they look quite nice and they have their fans here. I've never played a Brandt myself.

Mick

Jacob
Jan-17-2013, 10:48pm
Calace

Levi
Jan-17-2013, 11:47pm
Like this one (http://www.east-start.com/index-27.html)?

Jamie
I would never call it just an A style. ;)

As soon as I saw it I fell in love, and it's still one of my all time favorites, so yeah, I'll admit, "just an A style" was a bit ridiculous.

These mandolins are even more beautiful than I expected. Thanks for all of the examples.

JEStanek
Jan-18-2013, 8:51am
Don't worry, my feathers aren't ruffled. I had only seen the bowl backs with the square bit on a hook headstock before these. So, I got to see a new cool looking headstock too. so thanks for starting the thread.

Jamie

Jim Garber
Jan-18-2013, 12:19pm
I'll admit, "just an A style" was a bit ridiculous.

yes, but that is exactly what Lyon & Healy called them.

It is interesting that A model mandolin in Gibsonese is scroll-less, whereas in Martinese is the simplest of their line and in Lyon&healy-ese it is the top of the line.

brunello97
Jan-18-2013, 12:38pm
Good point, Jim.

It is also helpful to remind ourselves that "mandolin" is the English word for "mandolino"....

Mick

mandroid
Jan-18-2013, 2:40pm
Which refers to the shape of an Almond Nut

brunello97
Jan-18-2013, 2:58pm
Which refers to the shape of an Almond Nut

In a (slightly deformed and pointy)-round about way.... ;)

Mick

Levi
Jan-18-2013, 6:26pm
Say, while we're on the topic, what kind of tailpieces do these things usually have? Are they made to accommodate loop-end, ball-end, or are the strings knotted at the end?

delsbrother
Jan-18-2013, 6:26pm
Has anyone made a mandolin out of almond wood?

brunello97
Jan-18-2013, 6:36pm
Has anyone made a mandolin out of almond wood?

They are pretty trees, though not particularly big from the ones I have seen. Maybe they grow larger in some settings. I'd enjoy hearing what folks knew about the wood quality.

BTW Loop end strings, typically, Levi.

Mick

Levi
Jan-18-2013, 6:38pm
They are pretty trees, though not particularly big from the ones I have seen. Maybe they grow larger in some settings. I'd enjoy hearing what folks knew about the wood quality.
Mick

If I'm not mistaken, they are rarely commercially used due to the small size, but they make a relatively dense hardwood.

delsbrother
Jan-18-2013, 11:38pm
Ribs are small. :) I wonder if it bends well.