PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Strings for Bluegrass

drbluegrass
Jan-15-2013, 3:18pm
OK, I tried doing a search on this as I was sure there was a thread on it somewhere. I couldn't find one, soooooo...what strings are you bluegrassers using on your mandolin? And Why? Thank you.

P.S. I'm thinking of trying a stainless string.

Tom

D C Blood
Jan-15-2013, 4:06pm
Hi Tom...I think the general consensus of bluegrassers here on the Cafe are the D'Addario J74s...

John Adrihan
Jan-15-2013, 7:19pm
Hi Tom...I think the general consensus of bluegrassers here on the Cafe are the D'Addario J74s...

Or for some J75, Gibson Sam Bush, Or Gibson Monroe

sgarrity
Jan-15-2013, 10:03pm
Try some out and pick what you like

JeffD
Jan-15-2013, 10:07pm
Is there something unique about bluegrass that indicates any particular kind of strings?

Mike Bunting
Jan-15-2013, 10:37pm
Is there something unique about bluegrass that indicates any particular kind of strings?
Well, yes there is, but we are not allowed to speak of it.

JeffD
Jan-15-2013, 11:18pm
Well, yes there is, but we are not allowed to speak of it.

:))

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-16-2013, 2:04am
It's possible that D'Addario J74's are the most popular string for mandolins,not just for Bluegrass,but simply becasue they're a very good string & don't cost a huge amount. Like most of us,you probably have your own ideas regarding what you want your mandolin to sound like. Persue that goal by trying as many brands of string as you can until you find what sounds good to you. I settled on J74's right off because they make both my mandolins sound good.I've only tried one other brand of string & while they didn't sound bad,they made my mandolin sound really 'tight' ie. there wasn't much in the way of sustain,the notes came & went very quickly.I soon went back to J74's. Depending on your make of mandolin,be careful if you decide to try heavier strings such as J75's. Some mandolins are fine with them & some may be not suited to the additional string tension on the top.If in doubt seek advice from either the maker,or a good,knowlegeable dealer. To help further,it wouldn't hurt to know your make of instrument. I my case,after asking Weber,i was told not to use J75's on my "Fern" ,strings which were fine on the 'other' Weber that i had at the time - what suits one,won't suit all,
Ivan;)

John Adrihan
Jan-16-2013, 8:29am
It's possible that D'Addario J74's are the most popular string for mandolins,not just for Bluegrass,but simply becasue they're a very good string & don't cost a huge amount. Like most of us,you probably have your own ideas regarding what you want your mandolin to sound like. Persue that goal by trying as many brands of string as you can until you find what sounds good to you. I settled on J74's right off because they make both my mandolins sound good.I've only tried one other brand of string & while they didn't sound bad,they made my mandolin sound really 'tight' ie. there wasn't much in the way of sustain,the notes came & went very quickly.I soon went back to J74's. Depending on your make of mandolin,be careful if you decide to try heavier strings such as J75's. Some mandolins are fine with them & some may be not suited to the additional string tension on the top.If in doubt seek advice from either the maker,or a good,knowlegeable dealer. To help further,it wouldn't hurt to know your make of instrument. I my case,after asking Weber,i was told not to use J75's on my "Fern" ,strings which were fine on the 'other' Weber that i had at the time - what suits one,won't suit all,
Ivan;)

I always wonder about a statement like this. What reason is it that some may not handle the extra tension? Reischman and Marshall use 75's on 90+ year old Loars and Bush uses heavy strings on his 70+ year old gibson. And is the tension difference between 74's and 75's really that big of a difference? Do some modern day Luthiers make the tops to thin in order to get a desired tone?
Thanks

AlanN
Jan-16-2013, 8:48am
I asked Gilchrist about 74 vs. 75. He said 'no worries'.

Do some modern day Luthiers make the tops to thin in order to get a desired tone?
Thanks

Interesting question.

tree
Jan-16-2013, 9:38am
IMO, it all depends on your ears, your ax, and sometimes, your body chemistry (mine kills J74s pretty quickly). I've settled on Bush monels for my F5G, and intend to try them out on my new (to me) '21 A2.

I do like trying different strings, though. It's a relatively cheap thrill.

drbluegrass
Jan-16-2013, 9:42am
I'm currently using J-74s on my Red Diamond Vintage F 1922 "Crusher" voiced mando and like them just fine. But I always wonder if "the grass is blue-er on the other side"? And as far as blue grassers and non-blue grassers using the same or different strings, I simply don't know? There is another thread on "The Cafe" (not the bluegrass forum) asking about stainless steel strings, so I was just curious.

Tom