PDA

View Full Version : It is an original mandoline?

dumitrescu florin
Jan-15-2013, 8:06am
Hello! I have a mandoline and i want to know if it is an original.I attach some pictures.

Best Regards,
Florin Dumitrescu

Jim Garber
Jan-15-2013, 9:54am
No need to post this twice. It was made by Herwiga in Germany a decent maker. If you want to try to post larger photos that would help but it looks like it should be cleaned up and might need some work to make it playable. Are you in Romania?

I believe that these are called Portuguese style mandolins even tho it was made in Germany.

Here is a larger photo of your mandolin, I found that someone else (not you?) posted on Mandolin Hangout.

Herwiga mandolins were made by Wilhelm Herwig of Markneukirchen. More info here (http://www.mandolinluthier.com/german_mandolin_makers.htm).

Bruce Clausen
Jan-15-2013, 4:03pm
Well, what do you know? Looks like this instrument is available for 2500 euros on a Romanian website. Seller is identified as Florin.

Jim Garber
Jan-15-2013, 4:15pm
2500 euros! That is not an Embergher! Oh well. Someone posted the same images on Mandolin Hangout but her name was Alexandra.

brunello97
Jan-15-2013, 8:43pm
Well the seller's name is Florin, a name which presumably emerged as a contraction of fiorino d'oro the historical gold coin of Renaissance Firenze. If my memory serves me well a florin was about 7 grams (or 1/4 oz.) of gold.

With gold prices currently above $1600 per ounce that would place the Herwiga at about 8 florin.

Somehow, if I had read that Milo Minderbinder was selling the instrument the pricing might somehow make a bit more sense.

Mick

almeriastrings
Jan-16-2013, 12:18am
2500 Euros :))

It would not be cheap at 250.

dumitrescu florin
Jan-16-2013, 7:53am
2500 euros! That is not an Embergher! Oh well. Someone posted the same images on Mandolin Hangout but her name was Alexandra.

Thanks for the info,Alexandra is my daughter .I noticed that some of the forum have shaved my offer.Maybe it is a price too high, but still do not know the value of mandoline.
I want to thanks you, for the decency that you gave evidence.

Best regards,
Florin Dumitrescu

dumitrescu florin
Jan-16-2013, 9:41am
Thanks for the info,Alexandra is my daughter .I noticed that some of the forum have shaved my offer.Maybe it is a price too high, but still do not know the value of mandoline.
I want to thanks you, for the decency that you gave evidence.

Best regards,
Florin Dumitrescu

Graham McDonald
Jan-16-2013, 3:58pm
Well the seller's name is Florin, a name which presumably emerged as a contraction of fiorino d'oro the historical gold coin of Renaissance Firenze. If my memory serves me well a florin was about 7 grams (or 1/4 oz.) of gold.

With gold prices currently above $1600 per ounce that would place the Herwiga at about 8 florin.

Mick

In our pre-decimal currency days a florin was two shillings...

Jim Garber
Jan-16-2013, 4:10pm
Florin: I hope your are not insulted with the discussion of your mandolin. I would say that the price depends somewhat on the condition and that you are selling it in Romania. That mandolin might sell for about 100 to 150 euros here in the US. These are not the kind of mandolins that Americans like to play for the most part.

We really do not know the worth of them in Romania or even other parts of Europe. I believe that Herwiga is a good German brand, though. Good luck on selling it.

almeriastrings
Jan-16-2013, 11:24pm
It would sell for about the same in the UK, France, Germany and Spain too... it is worth something in the range of €75-150. If you got €200 for it you would be doing very well. Most sell in the lower end of that range. It is not a valuable instrument. You can find this kind of mandolin easily, and the design is no longer in great demand.