PDA

View Full Version : kentucky 505

kitesurfer
Jan-12-2013, 8:02am
i've had my mandolin for a week. bought it used sight unseen--very good purchase. i'm trying to change the strings but can't figure out the tailpiede--afraid of breaking something. i want to change out one string at a time. does the tailpiece have to be removed totally?

almeriastrings
Jan-12-2013, 8:19am
You do not have to remove the tailpiece at all.

Just slide the tailpiece cover back. Towards the endpin.

They can be a bit tight. Grip firmly, but securely using a cloth, and apply increasing pressure backwards....slide.. don't pull upwards.

This will protect your fingers and the instrument.

Here's a page from Stewmac that shows both parts:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Mandolin_tailpieces/Gibson_Style_Mandolin_Tailpiece.html

MikeEdgerton
Jan-12-2013, 8:21am
i've had my mandolin for a week. bought it used sight unseen--very good purchase. i'm trying to change the strings but can't figure out the tailpiede--afraid of breaking something. i want to change out one string at a time. does the tailpiece have to be removed totally?

I'm assuming you have a Gibson style tailpiece like the ones shown on this (http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html) site. The cover slides backwards towards the end button away from the headstock. If it is stubborn put a quarter on the end of your finger and pull back with both hands bracing your thumbs on each side of the end pin and using your fingers protected by the quarter to slide it. Do not use a screw driver and just pry it off. In more years than I care to talk about I've never had one that wouldn't slide. Look at the pictures on the page I linked to and you should see what you're dealing with.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-12-2013, 8:23am
Well, there you have it. Basically the same answer from two people posting at the same time :)

ebeja
Jan-12-2013, 8:23am
posts have crossed over...

MikeEdgerton
Jan-12-2013, 8:24am
Don't lift it. It just makes them loose and they rattle. They're made to slide. I've slid tailpiece covers that hadn't been moved in 30 years or more.

Astro
Jan-12-2013, 8:33am

Don't lift it. It just makes them loose and they rattle. They're made to slide. I've slid tailpiece covers that hadn't been moved in 30 years or more.

Can I get you to have a talk with my wife ?

kitesurfer
Jan-15-2013, 1:52pm
sorry, but I thought i had responded to this thread. I got some very good answers quickly and was able to change out the strings with no problems. then I had to go searching for the tune... G A D E (I think) I tuned it up and stretched the strings with my fingers and tuned again. It has held the tune no since the weekend. So I am very happy with my new purchase.

allenhopkins
Jan-15-2013, 2:45pm
Kitesurfer, starting different threads with the same title ("kentucky 505") is confusing the blazes out of me -- perhaps others. Perhaps your recurrent quests for advice might get even better response if they had varied labels?

In any case, best of luck with your new instrument. I gather it's a Kentucky KM-505…?

Jim Garber
Jan-15-2013, 4:32pm
then I had to go searching for the tune... G A D E (I think).

Tuning (low to high): G D A E