PDA

View Full Version : Less than a beginner (a Tyro) - Advice Needed...

MandoTyro
Jan-11-2013, 7:45pm
I am so new to the mandolin (2 months). I have NO prior musical experience. I need some guidance in a few areas:

1) I live in Newburgh, NY (about 65 miles from NYC) and I am looking to find a store that would have a number of Mandolins to try. I own a Washburn M-1S/TS that is doing fine for now. But I want to hear different mandolins of various qualities. To truly understand the richness of the instrument. Can you recommend a store where I can be sure to find various mandolins to play to understand the differences? The Mandolin Brothers would be one, but Staten Island is a real pain to get to from the north. (I also may make a trip to Baltimore, MD and could take a day to look around there as well)

2) I have eclectic interests in music. I seem to only be able to handle a little of each kind at a time (blue grass, classical, Celtic, ...). So I am having trouble knowing where to focus. Folk/Rock seems to be the closest... any recommendations for Music to learn? Or even group/band to listen to?

3) My left hand seems to be really weak. I got a grip-master that seems to be helping a little, do you have an specific exercises that could help strengthen my thumb and exercises to help with finger flexibility and spreading?

4) I found a Blue Grass group in the area... but I am hopeful to find another group that may be willing to let a bozo like me just come and listen and learn. Anyone know of any?

Your wisdom and help would be most appreciated.

Randi Gormley
Jan-11-2013, 9:08pm
IIRC, there's an Irish session in Yorktown Heights (?) or at least northern Westchester/southern Putnam once a month, or there used to be, that might do if you like Celtic. I'm not at work so my access to the info is limited -- I may be completely wrong so I'll check when next I'm on my work computer and have access to my files. If you don't mind wandering over to Connecticut, I've been told there's a nice mandolin selection at Acoustic Music in Guilford (at least their on-line presence says lots of mandolins). I hope you've had a chance to get your current instrument set up right? It might affect the strength you need to play if it's set too high. just some thoughts ...

allenhopkins
Jan-11-2013, 10:29pm
Buzzy Levine at Lark Street Music (http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/stock.html) in Teaneck NJ has a bunch of mandolins -- range of prices, more high-priced than other, emphasis on vintage but some new Loars, Eastman etc.

Google says he's an hour away from Newburgh.

MandoTyro
Jan-13-2013, 12:26pm
Thanks, I will check out the Lark Street Music.