PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Jazz Dance

Mandomax
Jan-19-2005, 2:44pm
Just learned this one this weekend. Sick Eddie Harris tune the Miles quintet plays on Miles Smiles. Tough, tough timing. Right now I'm playing it in mainly 3rd position with a foray back down into 1st position for the ending run. Great tune to work on cool altered voicings, as it hangs on the Bb7 for the whole time. Anyone else do it? Let me know!
Later,
Max

brunello97
Jan-11-2012, 11:24am
Just learned this one this weekend. Sick Eddie Harris tune the Miles quintet plays on Miles Smiles. Tough, tough timing. Right now I'm playing it in mainly 3rd position with a foray back down into 1st position for the ending run. Great tune to work on cool altered voicings, as it hangs on the Bb7 for the whole time. Anyone else do it? Let me know!
Later,
Max

Walked to work this AM listening to Eddie Harris's version-love the piano vamp. (First heard Miroslav Vitous and Brian Auger do it before I heard Miles's version, actually.) Did a web search and only found one/noisy scratchy version on Youtube where John McGann was basically inaudible.

Max (or anyone) would you have the dots for the head? Found a guitar tab which I guess I could transpose (or is there a program to do that? TablEdit?) But I thought I would send up a flare first.

thanks!

Mick

John McGann
Jan-15-2012, 8:58am
m7gNLMi747w

If you use headphones and turn it up, it's audible :cool:

Mark Robertson-Tessi
Jan-15-2012, 9:40am
Dots for Head and Miles solo @:
http://www.ethanhein.com/wp/2011/freedom-jazz-dance/

Dig the mashup in that vid, John :cool:

CHeers
MRT

brunello97
Jan-15-2012, 10:37am
Oh. Yeah. Thanks, Mark! Nice Sunday morning wake-up. Was supposed to be working this afternoon, now we'll see…

The blog looks cool as well: "It’s tough to memorize, but then once you get it down, it can stay stuck in your head for weeks." Or decades.

Thanks, John, I'll give the headphones a try. Would love to hear what you are playing. I know the drummers a king, but he's just a bit busy on this for my taste. Too much staccato snare up in the range of the violin for me. Or maybe that's just due to the recording levels. Must have been a great gig to be at; looks like a nice club room, too. I do prefer how ATW keep a gentle rolling and Billy Hart keeps to kick drum, tom, hh and ride. Lets the weirdness/greatness of the phrasing have its own space. TETO. Awesome tune. Great to hear you guys dig into it!

Mick

Mark Robertson-Tessi
Jan-15-2012, 10:46am
NightTown is a great venue! Lived in Cleveland for about 8 years, and saw some great acts there. Sat close enough to John Pizzarelli playing solo to grab his headstock! (Didn't actually grab it.)

Cheers
MRT

John McGann
Jan-15-2012, 2:28pm
Thanks y'all. The drums did record a bit brash on the clip, but 'better than nothing'. I love Larry's playing, and he's a beautiful soul. I really enjoy that band!