PDA

View Full Version : Make a Little Boat

acousticphd
Jan-19-2005, 1:39pm
There is a tune on Aubrie Hanie's "Bluegrass Fiddle" CD from a few years ago called "Make a Little Boat", given as a traditional tune. Sam Bush plays mandolin on the CD. I've never heard a version of it elsewhere. Has anyone? Anyone playing it? It's a great, exciting tune, with two short parts that they play A-B-A-B, but is a little reminiscent of Forked Deer in that the B part starts on the V chord.

Mandomax
Jan-19-2005, 3:26pm
I fisrt heard it on Kenny Baker's "Frost on the Pumpkin" album. From the liner notes by Bob Black:
"Make A Little Boat" is a melody Kenny and I often jammed together on. He first learned it from fiddler Howdy Forrester. Sometimes called "Make a Little Boat and Sail it Down the River," it was also a part of fiddler Paul Warren's repertoire.
Great tune. Another one of my favorites from that same Kenny Baker album is "Growlin' Old Man and Grumblin' Old Woman." Great switch from minor to major, and that opening lick is vicious! Reminds me of me and my wife in the morning- I'm growlin' and she's grumblin'.
Later,
Max

acousticphd
Jan-19-2005, 5:23pm
I fisrt heard it on Kenny Baker's "Frost on the Pumpkin" album. #From the liner notes by Bob Black:

Hey, cool. Thanks for that. I definitely need some more classic fiddler CDs, and clearly some of KB's.

twaaang
Jan-20-2005, 4:09pm
Fiddler's Fakebook has a tune with this title, I haven't explored it yet to see how much it resembles the Aubrey Hanie cut which I too was listening to a couple weeks ago . . . which prompted me to look around and see if it was written anywhere . . . so many tunes, so little time! -- Paul