PDA

View Full Version : Newby Question

budashoots
Jan-07-2013, 6:56am
Why are there several additional string anchor points turned ninety degrees to the neck in the tail piece. I hope I asked that correctly.

Rob Beck
Jan-07-2013, 7:24am
I believe that the idea was to reduce the tension on the loop ends of the higher strings by routing them through 90 degrees to the second set of anchors. I could be wrong though!!

Rob

multidon
Jan-07-2013, 9:35am
There was apparently a problem with the loop ends on a and e strings coming loose at one time. Modern manufacturing techniques have made this much less likely so I do not use the 90 degree turns in the traditional tailpiece. I believe they are not necessary just a relic from an earlier time. As confirmation of this witness that cast tailpieces do not have any extra prongs.

Marc Katz
Jan-07-2013, 10:18am
Strangely enough I have had problems lately with E strings coming undone after detuning and then tuning up to pitch. Maybe I have some counterfeit J74's? In any case, it made me see more virtue in the ability to take some tension off the loops of E strings...

Anyone else having problems with J74s lately? they seem to have bigger loop ends than they used to...

budashoots
Jan-07-2013, 4:43pm
Thanks guys I am now smarter because of you.

blackdog1967
Jan-07-2013, 10:28pm
Can anyone the me difference between a Washburn M3SWE and a Washburn M3SWETWRK? I know they are F body style and I believe they both have pickups.

allenhopkins
Jan-07-2013, 10:42pm
Can anyone the me difference between a Washburn M3SWE and a Washburn M3SWETWRK? I know they are F body style and I believe they both have pickups.

In the "Asian Washburn" model numbering system, the "E" suffix after the M3SW apparently stands for "electric." i.e. it has a pickup. Since the M3SWETWRK has a "transparent wine-red finish," I'm guessing the "TWR" is for "transparent wine red."

The "K"? Dunno.

blackdog1967
Jan-07-2013, 11:39pm
Do you think the Washburn M3SWETWRK would be a nice mandolin for a beginner?

allenhopkins
Jan-09-2013, 12:30am
Do you think the Washburn M3SWETWRK would be a nice mandolin for a beginner?

No -- unless the "beginner" really needs to plug in. Decent specs -- solid carved top, solid wood back & sides, Allen tailpiece -- and I guess one can overlook the "transparent wine red" finish that makes it look, to me, like a giant cherry lollipop.

But the piezo bridge and built-in pre-amp are not features that help a beginner learn to play, and along with the (also unnecessary) F-model scrolled body, they put the discounted price up to $600, which is 'way high for a first instrument. A mandolin like the Kentucky KM-160 is all solid woods, has a hand-carved top -- the Washburn says only "carved top," so it's probably machine-carved -- and is half the price.

And it doesn't look like a Smith Bros. cherry cough-drop. A plus, IMHO.