PDA

View Full Version : At least once every gig

The dman
Jan-06-2013, 11:52am
Someone comes up to me looks at my mandolin and says "what is that?" or "is that a Ukulele?" :))

Rodney Riley
Jan-06-2013, 12:07pm
Have had a couple people say to me. "I love your little guitar!" :)

The dman
Jan-06-2013, 12:18pm
Have had a couple people say to me. "I love your little guitar!" :)

I live in Illinois too so maybe it's an Illinois thing :)

Tim2723
Jan-06-2013, 12:34pm
I get the ukulele thing all the time. But with an Ovation it's a perfectly understandable mistake. What I can't understand is someone mistaking it for a banjo. You would have to been born with no powers of perception at all to not know what a banjo looks like.

Darrell D
Jan-06-2013, 12:57pm
I get the same thing, and I hate it!

Jim
Jan-06-2013, 12:59pm
"Is that a Ukelele?" has sort of replaced the "cute little guitar" statement in the last few years for me.

allenhopkins
Jan-06-2013, 1:01pm
One problem is the very different appearances of different types of mandolins. I can be playing, say, an F-model, and someone will ask "what's that?" When I say "mandolin," they'll reply, "My grandfather had a mandolin but it didn't look like that."

Well, it probably was a bowl-back, or an A-model, or whatever. Acoustic guitars look pretty "standard," ditto banjos, but mandolins are all over the place. I can understand the confusion among people who aren't familiar with different mandolin silhouettes.

DPrager
Jan-06-2013, 1:03pm
These questions about instruments are compliments. Would you really rather have folks just ignore you, your instruments and your music?

greg_tsam
Jan-06-2013, 1:05pm

Unfortunately, it's not just an IL thing.

Dave Hicks
Jan-06-2013, 1:29pm

It's crossed the state line to IN, too.

D.H.

multidon
Jan-06-2013, 1:47pm
It happens to me multiple times at gigs because of being a multi instrumentalist who sometimes plays several "not in the mainstream" instruments in the same gig- mandolin, hammered dulcimer, Celtic harp, bowed psaltery- and I am with Dprager. I feel it is a compliment for someone to ask for information about your instrument. Stuff like "is that a ukulele" just shows that people need to be educated, and I look at it as a "teachable moment". Of all the instruments I play, I find I get the most questions about the harp. Usually "What is that?" followed by "I didn't know that harps were made that small". Sometimes I get "that's the first time I ever heard that instrument played live". That makes me feel honored and humbled that I was someone's introduction to my kind of live music.

I know it must be frustrating to some who hear their mandolin referred to as "ukulele" and "little guitar" a hundred times, but I try to be patient and understand that the masses are hungry for the correct information. Let's give it to them. Who knows? Maybe, if you throw in a little something like "it's not very hard to get started on", we might gain some more mando nuts into the fold!

Michael Eck
Jan-06-2013, 1:55pm
I am very proud to say that, following an acoustic gig I did accompanying my all-time musical hero, Patti Smith, Ralph Nader asked his driver to pause, rolled down his car window, pointed to my mandolin case and said, "Michael, tell me, is that a ukulele."

(Nader and Smith were on a campaign tour together).

In one of my groups, Lost Radio Rounders, we often take a moment to describe our instruments (including, but not limited to, a range of resonators that embraces ukulele, mandolin, tenor and six-string guitars). The audience often eats it right up and many stop by after with questions.

Tavy
Jan-06-2013, 2:26pm
Mines been called a Uke, a banjo, a "small guitar thing" and even a "ukelelium" what ever that may be. Still at least they're taking an interest. Bless 'em ;)

belbein
Jan-06-2013, 2:32pm
You don't even want to know what people think when my son pulls out his dij and starts a'blowin.

Rodney Riley
Jan-06-2013, 3:02pm
You don't even want to know what people think when my son pulls out his dij and starts a'blowin.:)) :)) :))
That would be classic.... :))

I can see where they call my Godin A-8 a little guitar actually. Don't take the others out much.

TheArimathean
Jan-06-2013, 3:13pm
Ocarinas get a lot of questions too, but the oddest reaction to an instrument I've seen: I'm playing pennywhistle and someone asks me, "Is that a viola?"
Just goes to show people need to be educated about music.

Jesse Harmon
Jan-06-2013, 3:29pm
Well you probably won't believe this one but----- I teach guitar lessons and one day I brought in my mandolin. I have a mother who always sits in with her 8 year old. So he asks me----- What's that? I said "a mandolin" He looked at me funny and pointed and said no--- What's that? I said "a mandolin" He said --Why do you keep saying my mother's name. His mother said-----My name is Amanda Lynn. I swear this actually happened, may God strike me dead if I am pulling your leg.:))

TheArimathean
Jan-06-2013, 3:35pm
...may God strike me dead if I am pulling your leg.:))

It rhymes... must be a lie... ;)

P.S. Just Kidding :)

OldSausage
Jan-06-2013, 4:05pm
People ask me all sorts of odd questions about my mandolin. Someone once asked me if it was a viola, too. But I have a suspicion that at least some of the time, they do really know what it is, they just want to engage you in conversation and don't know how to start. People who do the "is that a ukulele" thing are usually just having a joke, at least that's how I read it. Could easily be wrong. I just laugh politely.

Phil Goodson
Jan-06-2013, 4:16pm
These questions about instruments are compliments. Would you really rather have folks just ignore you, your instruments and your music?

Hey, I'm with you. They can ask me if it's a pig if they want to. They're paying ATTENTION to me. I like that!! :grin: :cool:

jackmalonis
Jan-06-2013, 4:17pm
Had someone today ask me if I was going to play uke or just stick to guitar at my show Friday...

Willie Poole
Jan-06-2013, 4:17pm
When I introduce the band members I tell what instruments they are playing so we don`t get all of those questions, I do it at the end of every set also....When someone is playing a (ugh) "stick bass" I wonder if they get asked "What is that"

The dman
Jan-06-2013, 4:22pm
Mines been called a Uke, a banjo, a "small guitar thing" and even a "ukelelium" what ever that may be. Still at least they're taking an interest. Bless 'em ;)

I hear you. Last week I was warming up before a show in a side room and when I came out a guy said don't stop I could listen to you play that thing all night.

Austin Bob
Jan-06-2013, 5:15pm
I play my mandolin in a choir. At my wife's Christmas party, one of her coworkers wanted to ask me if I was still playing it on Sundays. What came out was:

"Are you still playing your little Catholic guitar?"

neil argonaut
Jan-06-2013, 7:57pm
In my experience, Uke is the most common thing for folk to call it, followed by banjo, small guitar, mandolin and then lute in that order. The funny thing is, the ones that seem to mistake it for a banjo seem to often be from the US.

Andy B
Jan-06-2013, 8:17pm
Dick Staber used to introduce the mandolin to audiences as "the guitar after taxes." I find that line is still good for a laugh most places.

Patrick Sylvest
Jan-06-2013, 8:35pm
Could be worse, we could all be Viola da gamba players. :disbelief:

MKB
Jan-06-2013, 8:39pm
Every time I play mandolin in church it is either called a "little cute guitar" or somebody asks what it is. Since I live in the NC foothills, near the cradle of bluegrass music, I find it surprising that so many people have no idea what a mandolin is.

I have to say that I get very few compliments on my electric guitar playing (have played it for over 30 years), but every single Sunday I get at least 2 compliments on my mandolin playing (only been playing it for 6 months). Everyone in there goes ape over mandolin, they can't get enough of it.

The dman
Jan-06-2013, 8:55pm
Every time I play mandolin in church it is either called a "little cute guitar" or somebody asks what it is. Since I live in the NC foothills, near the cradle of bluegrass music, I find it surprising that so many people have no idea what a mandolin is.

That's funny, I thought down by you most could recognize a mandolin. Now I don't feel so...northern :redface:

Londy
Jan-06-2013, 9:28pm
Well you probably won't believe this one but----- I teach guitar lessons and one day I brought in my mandolin. I have a mother who always sits in with her 8 year old. So he asks me----- What's that? I said "a mandolin" He looked at me funny and pointed and said no--- What's that? I said "a mandolin" He said --Why do you keep saying my mother's name. His mother said-----My name is Amanda Lynn. I swear this actually happened, may God strike me dead if I am pulling your leg.:))

That's too funny. You could not make that kind of stuff up!

Londy
Jan-06-2013, 9:38pm
I live in Ohio and people here have no idea what that "thing" is that I play. Its been called a little guitar many times. I'm okay with it because they take notice and enjoy listening to it. I have been asked to bring that little thing I play to events many times.

On a different note, people are starting to recognize the Mando more now due to seeing it on TV commercials and other popular bands such as The Band Perry, alt country and many others. It is taking a while but it is getting some airtime.

yarcod
Jan-06-2013, 10:16pm
Most here in Missouri know,but if asked I say it is a guitar that I forgot to take out of the dryer.

LA Mando
Jan-06-2013, 10:30pm
That's funny, yarcod. The guy who played mandolin before me in our band used to tell audiences it was a guitar that was left out in the rain.

journeybear
Jan-06-2013, 10:53pm

People who do the "is that a ukulele" thing are usually just having a joke, at least that's how I read it.

I lean toward the latter. I think most people who say this are either trying to have a joke at your expense or are ignorant. Maybe some people are actually curious - but I think they will be more likely to simply as "What is that?" There are a lot of mean-spirited people in this world, and making fun of someone for their own amusement is how they like to act superior, especially if they don't have a talent themselves.

It could be worse, as shown by some of the examples cited. The most idiotic question I've gotten - and hard to believe it happened more than once - is - while playing my MandoBird on the street, through a wah-wah and battery-powered amp - "What is that, Guitar Hero?" :disbelief: Each time it was by a guy with a girl, who was clearly trying to impress her by being a smart-ass. But really - how stupid would you have to be to ask that seriously? I mean, really! Does it really look that much like a toy? Really!! Where's the computer or game module and video screen? Really!!! :mad:

I think the only solution is to switch to playing ukulele. Then see what questions you get! :grin:

journeybear
Jan-06-2013, 11:07pm

I believe you, because the same thing happened to me! My late lamented F-12 was named Mandy Lynn, short for Amanda Lynn. Several years ago I was playing a gig, and between sets chatted up a pretty young lady who was enjoying the music, watching rather intently. It turned out her name was Amanda Lynn! I told her about the connection we had, with my instrument's name and all, and she was so impressed by this twist of fate that she fell into my arms and we began such an intense make-out session that I left the gig, went back to her place, and ... Oh, wait, that's not exactly what happened. :whistling: Um, yeah ... Even though I suggested it was indeed fate for us to meet and we were destined to be together, she thought otherwise. :( Still, it was quite a wonderful bit of happenstance.

BTW, do not google Mandy Lynn. There is an actress by that name, and that is about all I can say about that in a family forum.

allenhopkins
Jan-07-2013, 12:12am
...Several years ago I was playing a gig, and between sets chatted up a pretty young lady who was enjoying the music, watching rather intently. It turned out her name was Amanda Lynn! I told her about the connection we had, with my instrument's name and all, and she was so impressed by this twist of fate that she fell into my arms and we began such an intense make-out session that I left the gig, went back to her place, and ... Oh, wait, that's not exactly what happened. :whistling: Um, yeah ... Even though I suggested it was indeed fate for us to meet and we were destined to be together, she thought otherwise. :( Still, it was quite a wonderful bit of happenstance...

Hope it wasn't this Amanda Lynn. (http://www.bustedmugshots.com/texas/slaton/amanda-lynn-taylor/42470992)

Gelsenbury
Jan-07-2013, 3:59am
Ignorant, yes, but not blameworthy. Most people who don't have much knowledge of folk music just don't know exactly what a mandolin is. Most people do know what a guitar is, and the ukulele has been a trendy instrument for a few years now, so I can understand where the question is coming from. Or it may indeed be a joke, who knows?

Tavy
Jan-07-2013, 4:42am
Could be worse, we could all be Viola da gamba players. :disbelief:

Almost as bad as when I try to explain what my waldzither is...

Bertram Henze
Jan-07-2013, 4:43am
You would have to been born with no powers of perception at all to not know what a banjo looks like.

I was invited to a wedding once. The places on the table were marked with name tags, and since I used to play Tenor Banjo at the time my tag was decorated with the drawing of a banjo - with f-holes!

And then there are always broadcast apocalypsies like this classic one:

yiTUxqH5BqA

John Kelly
Jan-07-2013, 6:39am
As another Scot, like Neil above, I am often asked at gigs what are the instruments we are playing - mandolin, octave, bouzouki and tenor guitar, and we also feature a concertina (or as people say "What's that wee accordion thing?) We often just do a quick intro of the instruments and interested folk will sometimes comes aver later and ask further questions. I enjoy this as I have built several of the instruments we use and folk are always interested to talk to the maker.

Eric C.
Jan-07-2013, 7:54am
At a gig on Saturday, I had someone come up and ask "What brand is that mandolin?" Of course, I had the default "this is a mandolin" answer ready and it took a moment to grasp that he knew it was a mandolin, and was curious as to the maker. Pretty cool.

The dman
Jan-07-2013, 8:16am
I don't think the people that ask me are joking, they sound like they really don't know but it's all good and like someone said at least it piques their curiosity enough to ask.

lol on the comebacks, I might have to steal a few:)

mandolinlee
Jan-07-2013, 8:29am
Most asked question when my brother and I play together is, "Are you identical twins?" I answer, "No, he plays the banjo."
Lee

journeybear
Jan-07-2013, 9:36am
Hope it wasn't this Amanda Lynn. (http://www.bustedmugshots.com/texas/slaton/amanda-lynn-taylor/42470992)

No sir. The featured player in my story was very pretty, had an almond-shaped face, and long straight hair a shade or two lighter than Sheraton brown. Furthermore, she was not either of these two young ladies actually named Mandolin: :disbelief:

96438 96439

Trying to be a bit more charitable with my assessment of these questioning people, I do believe some of them are indeed earnest in expressing some curiosity. Leaving aside those who are trying to be funny or snide (their tone, phrasing, and/or attitude will give them away), I think these honestly curious people are putting vocal expression to a thought process that may follow steps like these:

Instrument
String instrument
Wooden
Acoustic
Frets
Not a guitar
Smaller than a guitar
No idea

At this point a mental scan of remembered examples may proceed. Possibilities suggest themselves, one after another, to no avail. Ukuleles will show up at this point, owing to its appearance in surges of popularity due to performers such as Arthur Godfrey, Tiny Tim, any number of Hawaiian musicians, and the current proponents, including the guy from Train ("Hey Soul Sister") and Ingrid Michaelson. Mandolins are seen by the uninitiated less frequently than ukuleles. Banjos, probably the most ubiquitous instrument that fits the flow chart, usually (not always) get rejected at Step 3. Dulcimers, psalteries, autoharps, and others are very likely too rarely seen to be included in the check list (despite Cyndi Lauper's obsession with dulcimer that lasted a couple years). Viewed this way, ukulele is perhaps even the logical choice for a guess at its identity. :disbelief:

I may be giving these people much more credit than they deserve, as they may very well not be putting that much thought into their query. But, as I said, I am trying to be charitable. Personally, I would much rather be asked the simple, straightforward, quite possibly honest and earnest, "What is that?" than the quite possibly loaded, "What is that, a ukulele?" If anyone is familiar with the parable of The Four Questions (a Passover tradition), this is what the simple son asks: "What is this?" One is supposed to tell the asker the story about the object of his/her curiosity. Simple is as simple does, and that should simply be enough.

But yes - being asked this repeatedly can be annoying. I suppose some forbearance and patience are in order. After all, we are trying to enlighten the unknowing, aren't we, and being welcoming is a helpful approach to achieving that end.

Martin Jonas
Jan-07-2013, 10:20am
I have a couple of actual ukuleles that I have retuned as mandolins, one of them being a bowlback vaguely styled like a soprano lute (named "Baroq-ulele" by the maker). I feel a fraud if I call them mandolins, but just saying ukulele doesn't seem right either. Similarly, the tuning of my waldzithers has nothing to do with waldzither tunings, but I can't bring myself to call them "mandola" either. So, explanations of what on earth I am playing tend towards the verbose...

Martin

Bertram Henze
Jan-07-2013, 10:30am
One more advantage of playing an OM.
Sometimes at sessions, somebody humbly asks what instrument I play, without wild guesses or long discussions; which is just as well, because when they ask I am usually passing them by on my way to the restrooms...

Paul Brett
Jan-07-2013, 10:33am
I play a session in my local pub, 100 yards from my front door, been playing there for over 20 years. People still say "I love the sound of that little thing!" About ten years ago I started using an OM to back myself while singing and people now call them; the little one and the big one.

Ray(T)
Jan-07-2013, 10:56am
I'm always being asked "What's that instrument called?" and I usually say "George".

journeybear
Jan-07-2013, 11:16am
I have a couple of actual ukuleles that I have retuned as mandolins ...

It's you! You're messing it up for everybody! :mad: People were confused enough already, and now ... :crying:

Yes, Ray, I have been known to do this, too, if the question is properly phrased as a straight line. Last year after a gig, someone asked me about my instrument, for the umpty-leventieth time, but like this: "What do you call your instrument?" I had had a couple, and was also anxious to get my dinner order going, so I offhandedly replied, "Molly." Pause for humorous effect. Looks of consternation, perhaps even anger crossed the fellow's face. I explained briefly what it was, and went on my way. I don't really remember much of this - my attention was elsewhere - but the pedal steel player mentioned this - repeatedly over the next several weeks, so it must have happened. ;) Just as well, too, as I had not come up with a name for the dear thing, even after owning it for a couple years. So noew I guess it is indeed Molly. Molly Mandolin. Suits her, the old dear.

Bertram Henze
Jan-08-2013, 2:35am
I have a couple of actual ukuleles that I have retuned as mandolins, one of them being a bowlback vaguely styled like a soprano lute (named "Baroq-ulele" by the maker). I feel a fraud if I call them mandolins, but just saying ukulele doesn't seem right either. Similarly, the tuning of my waldzithers has nothing to do with waldzither tunings, but I can't bring myself to call them "mandola" either. So, explanations of what on earth I am playing tend towards the verbose...

Martin

I have been guilty of the same kind of tweaking of a uke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1o6stG2CnE)and a guitar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df3UuQRoLhQ), but at least I don't play these in public.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-08-2013, 3:16am
From Tim - " You would have to been born with no powers of perception at all to not know what a banjo looks like." I've even had people call my banjo a Ukulele. As a non-driver,i've always used public transport to get around. Many years ago when the Folk music boom was in full swing,i used to tour the clubs & always took my banjo along to play a couple of tunes.One evening i caught the bus to one of the clubs i used to go to, & the driver,seeing my case asked me what the instrument was.I couldn't believe that he didn't know from the shape what it was,so i told him 'a Trumpet'. He was ok with that,:grin:
Ivan~:>

Bertram Henze
Jan-08-2013, 3:23am
One evening i caught the bus to one of the clubs i used to go to, & the driver,seeing my case asked me what the instrument was.I couldn't believe that he didn't know from the shape what it was,so i told him 'a Trumpet'. He was ok with that

http://www.warstuff.com/uploaded/2012-11-10-imp/60935F15FTcVRSONo39pPaOCZPPOQ2Zf34irouM.jpg

journeybear
Jan-08-2013, 1:17pm
For thirty years I carried around my F-12 in a black rectangular case (the first 30" x 13" x 4", the second about 33" x 15" x 5 1/2"), specifically so it would not be instantly recognized as an instrument, and thus desirable to thieves. (Yeah, yeah - who would want to steal a mandolin? Whatever!) In all that time, many people guessed at its contents, but I can't recall if anyone ever guessed right. Saxophone was the most common (there is similarity in length and width, though a sax case is a bit deeper), but other guesses included violin, dulcimer, and, my favorite, grenade launcher. My reply to this last was, "No, but you're close - rocket launcher."

This case had the added advantage of serving as furniture. On its side - a chair; on end - a stool; lying flat - a table. And with the addition of a piece of chalk, a hitchhiking sign.

Bertram Henze
Jan-09-2013, 2:39am
This case had the added advantage of serving as furniture. On its side - a chair; on end - a stool; lying flat - a table. And with the addition of a piece of chalk, a hitchhiking sign.

Here's a frood who knows where his towel is!

kieranbhoy
Jan-09-2013, 7:05am
I am in Scotland so i get "that wee banjo thingy" alot hahah