PDA

View Full Version : Bands that should have a mandolin

mandoaz
Jan-19-2005, 12:08am
Let's make it bands that should or should have had a mando in the line-up...

in no particular order...

-Tom Petty (can you imagine some of the tracks off of Wildflowers with mando?)
-Toad the Wet Sprocket
-Gram Parsons
-Neil Young

........let's dream shall we?

mad dawg
Jan-19-2005, 1:50am
Great idea for a thread! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Here are some off the top of my head:

- Calexico
- Ozomatli
- Kronos Quartet (I guess that would need a new name if they add a fifth)
- Old 97's

halfdeadhippie
Jan-19-2005, 10:19am
I was always suprised that Neil Young's "Comes a Time" did not have a mandolin, I know Peter Ostroushko played mando on Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" but I really can't hear it ( not that I have listend all that closely in a while).
of course Grisman played with the Dead on "American Beauty", but they really should have invited him back for "Reckoning"

John Sebastian and Lovin spoonful's could have used a mando, I think Steve Howe may have thrown some undocumented mando on some YES tracks.

John Flynn
Jan-19-2005, 10:46am
Well, musically I live in the past, so my responses are about bands that it is too late to add a mando to:

As was mentioned in a previous thread, The Beatles should have had a mando! Great renditions of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" have been done on mando by both The Hooters and Adam West. I do neat little rendition of "Here Comes the Sun" on the mando. I am sure there are more.

> Fairport Convention should have had one, or used it more often and more prominently, if they did have one.
> Jethro Tull should have had a mando in thier heyday.
> The Stones and the Beach Boys should have a least tried it once.
> Quicksilver Messenger Service should definitely have had a mando.
> The Eagles should have had one.
> The Blue Grass Boys should have had a mando player. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif (just kidding!)

Spruce
Jan-19-2005, 11:25am
Wilco....

Tim
Jan-19-2005, 11:41am
AKUS

Spruce
Jan-19-2005, 11:54am
"The Stones and the Beach Boys should have a least tried it once.
"

Both did....

abram
Jan-19-2005, 11:55am
Old Crow Medicine Show

acousticphd
Jan-19-2005, 1:05pm
The Jayhawks

mandofiddle
Jan-19-2005, 1:33pm
Let's make it bands that should or should have had a mando in the line-up...

-Toad the Wet Sprocket
While Toad didn't have a mandolin player for every tune, they did occasionally have mando played by, I believe, the guitar player other than Glen. #I know, because that's the first band I really remember hearing a mandolin in, and it made me want to go out and buy one to learn on http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

John Flynn
Jan-19-2005, 1:37pm
"The Stones and the Beach Boys should have a least tried it once."
Both did....
Really? I missed that. Very cool. I'd like to know on what albums/tracks, if you please.

mikeomando
Jan-19-2005, 2:11pm
The Bottle Rockets...

Spruce
Jan-19-2005, 3:11pm
"Really? I missed that. Very cool. I'd like to know on what albums/tracks, if you please. "

Ry Cooder played some great F4 parts on "Love in Vain" and Barney Kessel played a custom Gibson 10-string mando on some "Pet Sounds" tracks....

Martin Jonas
Jan-19-2005, 6:23pm
> Fairport Convention should have had one, or used it more often and more prominently, if they did have one.
There really is lots of mando on Fairport's albums and concerts. In the pre-1979 material, Swarbrick and Pegg switched over from their other instruments to mandolin pretty regularly, and more recently, Chris Leslie has been playing mandolin a good deal more than he has played fiddle. It's just that for whatever reason the usual instrumental lineup listing always say Swarbrick (fiddle, voc), Pegg (bass), Leslie (fiddle, voc).

There was some mention of Yes: I never listen to them and so don't know how it fits in, but I note that John Anderson of Yes endorses the Washburn M3-SWE acoustic/electric mandolin.

Martin

mando bandage
Jan-19-2005, 8:41pm
John Anderson of Yes endorses the Washburn M3-SWE acoustic/electric mandolin.

Interesting. Anybody else familiar with John's session work with Bela Fleck on the Outbound album? Good stuff.

R

jim simpson
Jan-19-2005, 9:01pm
Joni Mitchell

mandoaz
Jan-20-2005, 1:18am
While Toad didn't have a mandolin player for every tune, they did occasionally have mando played by, I believe, the guitar player other than Glen.
You know what...now that you mention it...You're totally right, they did have mando on some tracks...I took a gander at the liner notes from the Fear album and, lo and behold, there 'tis...Glen on mando...

But it still would've been cool to have more of it on more of their tunes...

Klaus Wutscher
Jan-20-2005, 2:31am
I aways felt that Crosby, Stills & Nash should have made a record with some Nashville Cats (Sam, Jerry, Stuart Duncan and a drummer and bass player)Too cool to be true? Well, maybe...

plunkett5
Jan-20-2005, 10:09am
Stills had a great underrated band and double album "Manassas" that featured a bluegrass influenced side with loads of mandolin by Chris Hillman. The rest of it rocked too.

David in IL
Jan-20-2005, 10:22am
There's actually quite a bit of mandolin on Jethro Tull tunes, dating from the earliest days (well, nearly), along with bazouki. Check out the singles collected on "Living in the Past." "Songs from the Wood" has some very nice mandolin parts as well.

David in IL
Jan-20-2005, 10:23am
I don't recall any mandolin on Yes albums (through the early 80s, anyway) but I'd be surprised if Steve Howe of Yes didn't own and play several. He collects just about every fretted instrument out there.

dwc
Jan-20-2005, 7:31pm
Perhaps they experimented with one but since I can't think of a specific track, I think Little Feat should definately have used a mando.

mando bandage
Jan-20-2005, 7:50pm
Perhaps they experimented with one but since I can't think of a specific track, I think Little Feat should definately have used a mando.

Fred Tackett uses one occasionally in the latter incarnations of Little Feat. He and Paul Barrere did a side project with Tackett on mando. Seems I read somewhere that he doesn't use GDAE tuning though, so I guess Little Feat still needs a mandolinist.

R

mad dawg
Jan-20-2005, 8:00pm
Stills had a great underrated band and double album "Manassas" that featured a bluegrass influenced side with loads of mandolin by Chris Hillman. #The rest of it rocked too.
Oh yeah -- I had that album on vinyl; I'll think I'll need to get it on CD if available. It was a double album, with a different theme on each of the four sides. Come to think of it, even though I grew up in rural Indiana, its BG side was my first exposure to BG music.

plunkett5
Jan-20-2005, 11:21pm
I remember seeing Stills and the Manasas Band at Notre Dame in 73. We all thought that the first side was studio wizardy as the tones and styles changed with each tune. They played the first side as a suite live. Blew my mind. As did the stage before they came out. Six D-45s on stands waiting for Stills. What a great musician/performer. Hillman was all business, play and play some more.

Klaus Wutscher
Jan-21-2005, 2:57am
Yeah, I have that Manassas LPs too, they really got me exicted (still do). Steven Stills is one of my alltime favorites, great musician/singer/songwriter. HeŽs rock and rolls Tim OŽBrien. Would have loved to see Manassas live. Only trouble is: I was not yet born in 73....

jefflester
Jan-21-2005, 3:28pm
While Toad didn't have a mandolin player for every tune, they did occasionally have mando played by, I believe, the guitar player other than Glen.
You know what...now that you mention it...You're totally right, they did have mando on some tracks...I took a gander at the liner notes from the Fear album and, lo and behold, there 'tis...Glen on mando...

But it still would've been cool to have more of it on more of their tunes...
Glen played the mando parts. He used to play mando live on Walk on the Ocean and Come Back Down, maybe others. On the 2003 reunion tour he played one of those Vox-like "mandoguitars" - small 12-string, instead of mando.

Here's an interesting track I recorded, Marvin Etzioni sitting in with Toad on Walk on the Ocean. He was playing the cool modular electric mando-guitar seen on the John Knutson builder page on emando.com:
http://www.archive.org/downloa....t15.shn (http://www.archive.org/download/toad1992-9-25.shnf/toad1992-9-25t15.shn)

When Glen and Nickel Creek did the first Mutual Admiration Society tour in fall of 2001 (when they initially thought the album was coming out, Chris played a couple of songs during Glen's solo set at 10-20-01. Not sure if he did that at any of the other shows. You can download here:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=5183

jefflester
Jan-21-2005, 3:34pm

Fred Tackett uses one occasionally in the latter incarnations of Little Feat. #He and Paul Barrere did a side project with Tackett on mando. #Seems I read somewhere that he doesn't use GDAE tuning though, so I guess Little Feat still needs a mandolinist.
Here's a Little Feat SBD recording with Sammy sitting in for basically the whole show:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=10988

Spruce
Jan-21-2005, 6:18pm
Man, I'd love to get a copy of that LF show with Sam, but am on a dialup...

Anyone have a copy of this? Please contact me offlist if "yes"...

Thanks!

Professor PT
Jan-22-2005, 1:47am
Elvis Costello has used mandolin a little( on "King of America"), but I think he could use it more. BTW, I just got tickets to a show he's doing here in San Diego at a really small club...should be cool. I also just found out that U2 is kicking off their world tour here in March; I've never seen them and want to go badly. They also need to work mandolin into one of their songs( oddly, Daniel Lanois is listed as playing mandolin on the last track of their new album, but you can't hear it at all! Lost in the mix, big time! ).

Keith Erickson
Jan-25-2005, 10:34am
I would have loved to hear Rush use a mandolin.

I know on the 1996 release "Test for Echo", Alex Lifeson uses a Mandola on track #3 "Half the World".

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

ira
Jan-25-2005, 12:03pm
csny in all of their incarnations- solo, duo, trio and quartet would've sounded great with mando on many tunes-
helplessly hoping, sugar mountain, chicago, our house, etc.....

mandough
Jan-25-2005, 12:48pm
Son Volt . The Alarm. Crowded House. Old 97's. The Bluebells. Colin Hay. Aimee Mann. Nick Cave. Rank and File. Fleetwood Mac (alway thought Lindsay Buckingham would make a great mandolin player).

John Flynn
Jan-25-2005, 1:01pm
How about this for a suggestion: Every symphony should have a whole section of mandolins!!!

jim simpson
Jan-26-2005, 7:39pm
2nd thought: Instead of Joni Mitchell, Captain Beefheart!

ira
Jan-26-2005, 10:01pm
this is making me think of specific late 60s-mid 70s songs that should have mando- how about "wooden ships"(j.airplane) "rain on the roof'lovin spnfl" "sweet baby james-jt" "tequila sunrise-eagles" "dance,dance,dance-s.miller" cocaine-jackson browne version" "tuesday's gone-l.skynard" "close to the edge-yes" "the wheel, tenessee jed and he's gone"-gd black water- doobies" my sweet lord-g.harrison" ruby tuedsay and 2,000 man- stones" "needle and the damage done, old man-n.young" just to name a few off the top of my head.

mandocrucian
Jan-26-2005, 11:25pm
Captain Beefheart!

"Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles" on Clear Spot
Zoot Horn Rollo on mandolin

OdnamNool
Jan-27-2005, 6:08am
#"rain on the roof'lovin spnfl"
One of the first songs I taught myself on mandolin... Cuzz I think it's a wonderful song...

Ted Eschliman
Jan-27-2005, 6:32am
Singer/songwriter James Taylor, especially in his more recent acoustic incarnation. Intelligent lyrics, clean & crisp orchestration, some of the best sidemen in the biz; only thing missing is a good creative mandolin part.

Andrew Reckhart
Jan-27-2005, 8:44am
Ben Harper could use it on a ton of stuff. 'Give A Man A Home' would sound good with a mandolin. A few Bob Marley tunes would work well with it. 'Redemtion Song' comes to mind. Buffett could make use of it more too.

mad dawg
Jan-27-2005, 11:15am
Ben Harper could use it on a ton of stuff
I agree -- I can only think of one song of his with mandolin: Dave Lindley delivers a standout old-timey performance that drives In the lord's arms on one of Ben's CD's.

dwc
Jan-27-2005, 1:17pm
Did 10,000 Maniacs ever use a mandolin? I can think of several songs where a mandolin would fit in nicely.

Professor PT
Jan-28-2005, 11:51am
Actually, they used it a lot on their first album--THE WISHING CHAIR. After that, it was seldom used.

ira
Jan-28-2005, 12:52pm
pink floyd- comfortably numb

mandopete
Feb-09-2005, 10:08am
I thought Joni Mitchell played mandolin (at least back in her bluegrass days anyway).

Blueglass
Feb-10-2005, 6:01pm
Willie Nelson should use more mandolin.
So should The white strips. Ever listen to that guy play mandolin on the Cold Mountian soundtrack?

Dave Gumbart
Feb-22-2005, 4:22pm
Poco. #Actaully, they might very well have used mando on some of their stuff, I just don't have anything with me at the moment to verify that. #There is a web site on these guys with a shot of Rusty Young holding what might be an old Gibson A. #Might just have to dust off that old Deliverin' LP and give it a spin. #An all-time favorite live album of mine.

(found reference to Jim Messina joining the band after he'd left to play mando on Rocky Mountain Breakdown)

toddjoles
Feb-25-2005, 7:55pm
Credence Clearwater Revival's Bad Moon on the Rise just screams for Mando.

ira
Mar-01-2005, 11:56am
beachboys on "sloop john b." "surfer girl" and "in my room"

jmcgann
Mar-01-2005, 2:36pm
The Stones "Country Honk" has lots of Ry Cooder.

Steve Howe owns a bunch of mandos and uses them on many of his solo releases.

Let's not for get "The Little People of Stone'enge" in Spinal Tap!

Wish Allan Holdsworth would play one sometime (he does play fiddle so it should be easy enough for him)...

ira
Mar-01-2005, 2:59pm
warren haynes- soulshine

mandocrucian
Mar-01-2005, 3:14pm
Seems like a lot of people are thinking along the lines of grafting a mandolin onto the existing outfits. So now there'd be a newgrass/new-acoustic/etc. style mando playing some fills or a break and some backup.

That's OK, but I guess, but I'm on a different wavelength. #Instead, of "Creedence + a mandolin", #what of the mando-player (acoustic or electric, single or double strings, mando register or lower) replacing one of the existing instruments without really altering the sound of the band that much?

What about making a mando or e-mando sound right at home in any of the following?:

Blue Oyster Cult
The Police
Robin Trower Band
U2
Santana
Prince & The Revolution
Mitch Ryder & Detroit Wheels
Social Distortion
Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
Quicksilver Messenger Service <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(mando replacing Cipollina)</span>

Niles H

WireBoy
Mar-01-2005, 3:18pm
Moody Blues ?

jmkatcher
Mar-01-2005, 3:34pm
Social Distortion

The Mike Ness solo album "Cheating at Solitaire" which is very good, IMHO, has quite a bit of mandolin on it. Social Distortion in general is really good on e-mando. "Story of My Life" is one of my favorites to play.

Christian McKee
Mar-01-2005, 3:37pm
&lt;sputter&gt; "...mando replacing Cipollina." I love the electric mandolin, but that's a tough pill to swallow.

I like the idea of mandolin in The Police quite a bit, though I might vote for making it a quartet so the middle wouldn't fall away. I would love to hear just about any reggae band swap an electric mandolin for the rhythm guitar in the standard lineup...

Christian

jmkatcher
Mar-01-2005, 4:03pm
I would love to hear just about any reggae band swap an electric mandolin for the rhythm guitar in the standard lineup...

I've been playing with reggae & ska a little bit and totally agree. If anything, I prefer the acoustic to the electric with its additional percussiveness. I had a tuning issue the other day which left me with out of sync string pairs, and it sounded darned close to steel drum... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Christian McKee
Mar-01-2005, 5:12pm
I used to play some reggae tunes on the acoustic, and it's nice with the chop, you're right. Since getting an electric though, I prefer the sound of a single coil pickup for this kind of thing. Funny you should mention steel drum, I've played around with emulating that sound through various combinations of single coil, wah, reverb and sometimes delay. It's fun, for sure...

Christian

ira
Mar-01-2005, 5:29pm
hey crucian, i love the way you think. how many folks would we have to provide you with to do a workshop in new england. i'd love a blues and a rock workshop.

mandocrucian
Mar-01-2005, 6:45pm
&lt;sputter&gt; "...mando replacing Cipollina." #I love the electric mandolin, but that's a tough pill to swallow. #

I like the idea of mandolin in The Police quite a bit, though I might vote for making it a quartet so the middle wouldn't fall away.
Christian
OK, mando in the Cipollina "role".

I'd asked about Cipollina's vibrato technique on Comando several years ago and was told by Banana (ex Youngbloods) , who had played in some of the same post-QMS bands as J.C., that Cip was doing it with his fingers. #"So, OK, I'll take his word for it" and decided if he could get that shimmery sound, I was going to get it too. #By the time someone sent me a copy of the Electric Guitarslinger video doc, which showed him doing it with a Bigsby whammy bar, I was beginning to get the sound as a controllable effect with just my left hand. At that point, there seemed no point in discontinuing the pursuit of the Quicksilver vibrato!

Which prooves the power of mind over mando!

Re: Police and the mid-range.... that's what mandola or low-tuned 5-string, or OM are for.

Niles H
RockMando (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/rockmando/)

OdnamNool
Mar-03-2005, 5:20am
beachboys on "sloop john b." "surfer girl" and "in my room"
Gee, Ira...

You and I sure seem to have similar tastes in tunes...

I *try* to play, "Don't Worry Baby" but, man...that's a tuffy... #To me, it's got those nice syncopated chords goin' that are just fit for mandolin...

I really like your idea for "Comfortably Numb" too...

mando bandage
Mar-03-2005, 7:55am
Ira, Soulshine sounds pretty good with a mando when our jam band plays it.

Niles, Little Bit of Sympathy by Robin Trower is a blast to play on mando with the opening lick resolving to an open G. May be enough fun to push me over the edge to buy a Mandobird VIII. Now, if I could only sing like James Dewar......

R

mandocrucian
Mar-03-2005, 10:05am
Niles, Little Bit of Sympathy by Robin Trower is a blast to play on mando with the opening lick resolving to an open G. May be enough fun to push me over the edge to buy a Mandobird VIII. #Now, if I could only sing like James Dewar......

Now we're talking!

Bridge of Sighs and The Essential Robin Trower get their share of regular car player rotation. Dewar did a good job singing; I would have liked to have heard Rory Gallagher with someone like Dewar up front on the vocals. #

If you want to hear one (maybe) the hardest rocking female vocalist album ever made, pick up acopy of Rats by Sass Jordan. You can find used copies at Amazon or half.com for a dollar or two. Think of a woman fronting Robin Trower!

"Don't Worry Baby" is Lobos doing a SRV thing.

Another of those bands that you ought to revisit is SPIRIT with Randy California on gtr. #They did some great stuff on the first four albums. #There's a 2-disc compilation called Time Circle which has nearly the entire first album (Spirit) and (minus one track) 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus and most of The Family that Plays Together and Clear, plus some previously non-CD and unreleased things.

I'm waiting on a Mandobird VIII, should get here today. Really need a solibody 8-string; the acoustic w/.pickup just has too too much feedback negatives at r&R volume I'll probably experiment on it (physically, additional pickups etc.). There are some things which I can just pull off more effectively on an 8-string than the 17" inch scale octave lower 5-string. #The stretches on the latter can be too long for certain doublestop voicings, and there a lot of split-string stuff which you can't manage with single strings (duh). Actually, I think that a doubleneck #(8-string, plus low-register 5-string) is the solution which will allow one to replace a guitarist without giving up much. You really need both (and a lap/table steel or slide tuned e-gtr on legs in front of is even better!)#Until I get Don Kawalek to help me to build a doubleneck, I may get a metal plate and bolt both electrics together with it. Maybe reshape one of the bodies so they nest together. Low-tech doubleneck.

NH

OdnamNool
Mar-03-2005, 1:48pm
#

"Don't Worry Baby" is Lobos doing a SRV thing.

NH
What does that mean?

What is, "Lobos" and What is, "SRV thing?"

I have no idea... but if you're puttin' down that song... #I've got a bone to pick with you...

mandocrucian
Mar-03-2005, 2:14pm
No, always loved the tune, have occasionally messed with it myself.

Los Lobos doing a Stevie Ray Vaughan type of thing. It was either Cesar Rojas or David Hildalgo who said in interviews that they were intentionally going for a SRV-ish sound. (it's the first track on Los Lobos' How Will The Wolf Survive?)

Of course, if there is a different song titled "Don't Worry Baby" and that's what you were referring to, my post wouldn't have made sense, but I just assumed you were talking about Los Lobos.

Niles H

OdnamNool
Mar-03-2005, 3:55pm
Oh... Sorry for the confusion...

I was referring to the "Beachboys..."

Ya know, "Well it's been building up inside me for, OH I don't know how long..."

I am unfamiliar with "Los Lobos" and all those other folks you mentioned... #But... if you are unfamiliar with that song by the Beachboys... #well... #I could post the lyrics and chords, but that's about all I can do, as I just can't do much on the computer, here... #It is a BEAUTIFUL song, yet quite complicated... #Weird chords...hard ones to play on mando... #Chords on top of chords... #It's very lovely... #And rhythmic...

mando bandage
Mar-03-2005, 7:38pm
Niles,

To pursue the James Dewar digression a bit further, I'm betting you are familiar with the duets he sang with Maggie Bell (speaking of powerful female voices) in Stone the Crows. I can imagine a mando part woven through "I Saw America." We could probable pull some of the jazz mandolinists along on that frolic.

R

mad dawg
Mar-03-2005, 9:50pm
...Instead, of "Creedence + a mandolin", #what of the mando-player (acoustic or electric, single or double strings, mando register or lower) replacing one of the existing instruments without really altering the sound of the band that much?
Related observation: I was listening to Lighthouse by the Waifs on the radio the other day, and realized that the fills and riffs by the harmonica would work really well on the mandolin. Anyone out there experiment with playing harmonica parts on the mandolin? (Although it might be tough to replicate bends and slurs on an acoustic.)

BlueMt.
Mar-03-2005, 11:05pm
Mad Dawg, #I've been listening to some blues by Little Walter lately and was thinking the same thing. There's some great licks there but I don't know if I'm up to the challenge. #I'm thinking a slide or maybe even an E-bow might be called for. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mad dawg
Mar-04-2005, 12:35am
...and you can put on some Blues Traveller for some even more intimidating licks! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ira
Mar-04-2005, 11:19am
as i play both, but have been playing harp for a way longer time than mando, i hear solos very often as harp, but play on the mando. the tonal range is so close and the feel that you can get with tremolos etc... for that soulful groove is so easy to translate from one to the other.

madog99
Mar-05-2005, 8:29am
I would love to hear just about any reggae band swap an electric mandolin for the rhythm guitar in the standard lineup...

I've been playing with reggae & ska a little bit and totally agree. #If anything, I prefer the acoustic to the electric with its additional percussiveness. #I had a tuning issue the other day which left me with out of sync string pairs, and it sounded darned close to steel drum... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

the reggae thing works great on mando , if you can get the chop going right , No Woman no cry , redemption song are a couple that we been jammin' on mon #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mandopete
Mar-07-2005, 4:18pm
I think Flatt & Scruggs would have sounded totally cool with a mandolin!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

ira
Mar-31-2005, 10:40am
went to see rusted root last night in boston. great show. i've seen them open for folks once or twice in the past, but never bought any of their music.
amazing percussions- polyrythmic and fun.
they would sound superb with a mando on many if not all of their tunes.

dwc
Apr-06-2005, 5:48pm
Rusted Root used a mando on virtualy every track of their CD Remember.

ira
Apr-07-2005, 1:04pm
nothing mando happening in their live show, but its all good.

mandopete
Apr-07-2005, 2:56pm
Anyone out there experiment with playing harmonica parts on the mandolin? (Although it might be tough to replicate bends and slurs on an acoustic.)
Not to mention the slobber!

mad dawg
Apr-07-2005, 3:23pm
LOL! Pete's visual made me think that you can probably play kazoo on a mandolin in a similar manner to playing kazoo with a pocket comb:
1) hold a dollar bill tightly accross the back of the strings over the soundboard
2) hum through the strings in front of the dollar bill
3) bathe in the praise showered upon you by your jammates for your cleverness (there could also be some ridicule thrown in here as well, I suppose)
4) wipe the spit off of your strings and sound board

dwc
Apr-07-2005, 3:35pm
Rusted root was one of my favorite bands, but to say that the lineup is "constantly evolving" would, I think, be overly generous. Truth is I don't think they who is going to show up on any given night. I think the guy who played mandolin on most of Remember left for a solo career. Its a shame because they were a very tight jam band when that record came out.

mandopete
Apr-08-2005, 9:23am
1) hold a dollar bill tightly accross the back of the strings over the soundboard
2) hum through the strings in front of the dollar bill
3) bathe in the praise showered upon you by your jammates for your cleverness (there could also be some ridicule thrown in here as well, I suppose)
4) wipe the spit off of your strings and sound board
...now there's a visual for ya!

Andrew Reckhart
Apr-11-2005, 4:17pm
Blues Traveler could use a Mando on a lot of songs.

Andrew Reckhart
Apr-11-2005, 4:25pm
Social Distortion and/or Mike Ness would sound killer with some Mandolin.

floyd floar
Apr-26-2005, 2:49pm
Personally, I'm surprised at the lot of you! The answer is obvious-ALL bands should have mandolin!

James P
May-16-2005, 1:49pm
True... adding a mandolin is just the right thing to do.

I'd add "Iron and Wine" to this list. They've got the quirky slide/guitar/banjo thing down already.

jmcgann
May-21-2005, 10:21pm
gwar

mad dawg
May-22-2005, 10:49am
LOL!