PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Gibson?

Don Troyer
Jan-05-2013, 3:55pm
Saw an A style mandolin that is going for a silent auction, and could only see it through a display case.
To me the Gibson letters didn't look right. Can anyone give me any information on this one. Thanks96306

jmp
Jan-05-2013, 4:14pm
The picture is a bit fuzzy, but the logo looks like it could be OK to me for a modern (1970/80's or newer?) era. I had a 70's Gibson guitar with a similar logo. Clearly not a vintage 1920's Gibson mandolin, the chance of someone going to the trouble to fake a later model Gibson is slimmer. You should be able to examine it closer for the auction and check out the label and serial #, etc.

Gary Hedrick
Jan-05-2013, 4:21pm
The instrument looks ok.....I just don't remember that kind of an inlay on the peghead....It would appear to be an A-50 which they stopped making in 1971. I would guess that it is an A-50 from the 60's with an added inlay...

here is one....http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-1961-A-STYLE-VINTAGE-MANDOLIN-A50-BLUEGRASS-rare-old-/121046806916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2ef3b184

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jan-05-2013, 4:52pm
I think that logo was used in the 50s as well. I had a 50s A50 at one point and it has this logo. The one thing that seems odd to me is the headstock: a typical A40/A50 should have straight edges on both left and right side of the headstock, while the one in the photo has curve edges. The top of the headstock does look correct. Maybe the edges had been shaved down at some point?

Gary Hedrick
Jan-05-2013, 7:33pm
curved edges....I didn't pick up on that.....you're right ....these didn't not have curved edges.....so....who the heck knows....I'll leave it to Tom and Darryl to decide...

Don Troyer
Jan-05-2013, 8:35pm
Thanks guys for the info.
I will try next week to get my hands on it and play it and see if there is a serial #. So far it sounds like the consensus is that it's an A-50 right?

f5loar
Jan-05-2013, 9:10pm
Could it be the photo distortion taken through the glass making the headstock funky? Looks like a 60's A50 by the everything I see in the poor photo. Added fancy inlay to headstock. Who didn't customize their prized A50 headstock in the 60's? I did! Looks pro inlay to me but not factory. I can barely see the orange oval label which should have the serial no. on it. It may also have a FON in lower F hole. Get both of those numbers and then we can tell you what you got. If you PM me I can get you to call me when you get your hands on it to bid.

Don Troyer
Jan-07-2013, 12:34pm
I don't know about this one. Just looked at it again and it looks like the Gibson label was added and a poor job at that.
The store said that the logo on the headstock was covered up with plastic and couldn't see it till they peeled it off.
The number in the lower F hole is 0555

pfox14
Jan-07-2013, 1:10pm
I think it's a fake. Gibson never used a decal headstock logos and the inlay design is definitely not Gibson.

houseworker
Jan-07-2013, 1:26pm
A silent auction would be a high risk way to but something like this anyway.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jan-07-2013, 2:18pm
I think it's a fake also. Note where the neck heel meets the body on the back. Looks very different from a typical A40 / A50 from the time period.

f5loar
Jan-07-2013, 11:47pm
Wow what a difference a better photo makes. RUN, FOREST,RUN. This fake ain't worth $40 to hang on the wall as a fake. Even if you used it as a paddle in a row boat it would fall apart on you. It wouldn't last 30 seconds in a fireplace so it's not even worth buying for kindling.

Don Troyer
Jan-08-2013, 7:56am
Yeah I started running yesterday when I looked at it again.
Thanks everyone for your input.