PDA

View Full Version : Slide on electric mandolin.........

nobleheart
Jan-18-2005, 11:51pm
Started playing slide on my emando recently. I use a brass pinky slide; seems to lend a bit of a southern blues sound. I have just been going through my limited blues vocabulary. Just keep coming back to the Star Spangled Banner; Jimmy Hendrixish. Also played Somewhere Over the Rainbow, which was pretty interesting.

Curious what kinds of slides ya'll like(describe tonal differences.)

What songs you prefer to slide on....

Any techniques that are unique ie.. fingerpicking.....

Thanks for any info

Tim

Dennis Schubert
Jan-19-2005, 11:50am
Try some ultra-simple open tunings...all of these can be used for major or minor keys, since there is no major 3rd or minor 3rd on the open strings.

AEAE - A chord with the 5th as highest string

GDGD - G chord with 5th as highest string

BEBE - E chord with root as highest string

ADAD - D chord with root as highest string

nobleheart
Jan-19-2005, 9:42pm
sweet.. I like the way these sound.

thanks much

Proghead
Aug-03-2005, 1:44pm
E-mando player Andrew Hendrex, uses a slide on his Ryder EM-34 atleast in one song in the album "Whiskey Domino Heartbreak"." www.andrewhendryx.com/Music.html " brings you to his webpage that has free mp3s... download "Shovel" and in about the middle of the song, he uses the slide on his e-mando. totally solid

bjc
Aug-04-2005, 3:02pm
I use a small brass pinky slide...forget who makes it, but it's small enough that I can still use my pinky to fret. I like it with the volume a little over half way up so it doesn't overdrive too much...I like my dirt wide open...and it works great with blues and blues/rock tunes...freaks people out too...

Perry
Aug-23-2005, 3:42am
ADAD is one of my favorite tunings on my OM...great blues and "open" tuning posibilities...

ahmandolin
Feb-19-2019, 10:15am
Hey folks,

I've been getting back into playing open tunings live and using some simple chords to fatten up some recordings. I made this tutorial using my old Mando Blaster. I've raised the action to reduce buzzing when playing slide. I pretty sure I am currently using .12 gauge DR strings on this mandolin. I recorded this at a low volume but it really sings when loud. I should probably get an attenuator for these videos. Hope this is helpful.

-Hendryx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubTieBdBmY&t=1s