PDA

View Full Version : How long do strings last?

Mandorocker
Jan-05-2013, 3:34pm
How long will new strings, left in original package, last if left in mandolin case?
If I buy 10 sets and don't use or open a set for say two years, would they still sound and act as new?

Folkmusician.com
Jan-05-2013, 3:50pm
A lot of it depends on the enviroment. In ideal conditions they might lose a little sparkle, but should be ok for a couple of years. In less than ideal conditions I am sure they would degrade.

Clef
Jan-05-2013, 5:57pm
About 7 years ago, for whatever reason, I bought a huge quantity of strings for all of my stringed instruments. I still have a few packs left. In my experience, there is no issue using strings that sat around for a long time.

Now, when I finally use up my stash of strings, I don't plan on buying as many next time.

Tim2723
Jan-05-2013, 8:04pm
It comes down to the metallurgy of the strings, their storage environment, and packaging integrity (which can be the same thing). I've had strings last several years perfectly yet others age rapidly in the pack. Sorry, there's no exact answer. As far as I know the best you can do is keep the package sealed and store them in a cool, dry place.

OldSausage
Jan-05-2013, 8:38pm
If I buy 10 sets and don't use or open a set for say two years, would they still sound and act as new?

Yes.

Randi Gormley
Jan-06-2013, 4:04pm
I'd swear a couple packages I recently bought sat in the music store for longer than I'd care to think, but they still sounded fine when I put them on. I think two years, if you keep them away from the damp/humidity, would be fine, but that's just from what I've noticed in the strings we have in the house here. ymmv

fatt-dad
Jan-06-2013, 6:46pm
the strings in my piano are like a hundred years old. That said, I've had string sets (in unsealed sleaves) go tarnished. If they don't look new(ish), I don't put them on. I really don't do string changes that often though. . .

f-d

Tomy Plunk#er
Jan-07-2013, 2:42am
This is just me but I change all my stringed instruments out every 6 months at the longest. I play alort and when I notice that they just don’t hold their tone(become dead) they need to go. As stated already alot of factors in the life of strings. I try to only play with washed hands and wipe the strings off after every play with a dry soft clean cloth.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-07-2013, 3:59am
There are so many variables,that it's very hard to say how long your strings will last agains those of others. String gauge/ string age/how often you play/how hard you play,environment...........etc.all play a part. I know the tone of my mandolins well enough to 'hear' that they need changing.The G strings sound 'thuddy & muddy' & the treble strings sound a bit dead,especially at the higher frets where they normally ring 'clear'. I usually change them every 2 1/2 to 3 months,because that's when i notice a change in sound,
Ivan

Laird
Jan-07-2013, 2:25pm
This is just me but I change all my stringed instruments out every 6 months at the longest.

Three months is pushing it for me. As to the original question, I usually buy ten packs at a time and haven't noticed any degradation by the time I get to the last pack. Maybe my ear just isn't refined enough to notice the difference!

OldSausage
Jan-07-2013, 2:35pm
The OP is asking how long strings last BEFORE you take them out of the packet, not when you're using them.

Tomy Plunk#er
Jan-07-2013, 6:58pm
I apologize! Was tried and read to fast I guess.