PDA

View Full Version : Another old bowl...Any insights

Flybear
Jan-04-2013, 12:30pm
I have played a modern Dean flatiron with pickup for years and was thinking about something different. Just happened to stop at local store and this stared me in the face. No markings, they said probably Greek 1910-20. Some abalone missing but beautiful acoustic sound with sweet action. I couldnt resist at 4 bones. Would appreciate any wiser observations. 96257962589625996260962619626296263

Schlegel
Jan-04-2013, 12:55pm
Time estimate may be rightish, but it's not Greek. It's very American in build style, and the headstock end looks most like Lyon and Healy to me. Regardless, the build quality puts it as an upper tier instrument of the time. These were great instruments, I think, and it's a shame so few were well taken care of. You can't buy wood like that now, either. Love the inlay.

Jim Garber
Jan-04-2013, 3:00pm
I have one very similar with the same pickguard inlay. Schlegel is right, definitely not Greek and definitely American. Mine has simpler (?) fretboard and headstock inlay. I always thought Lyon & Healy -- there is no label on mine -- but the little neck collar on this one resembles the same on my Maurer bowlback which from the Larson brothers shop. Altogether possible IMHO.

Actually i took a look at my Maurer and the collar is different. However the workmanship could have been Larsonic -- they did make instruments for L&H -- I know that the fancier Lelands were made by that shop.

Flybear
Jan-05-2013, 12:19am
Well thx from your insights but am abit confused. Mr. Garber you speak Maurer and Larsonic, past my dialect although I can think L&H. I saw your example Mr. Garber at your site, indeed the same though my pick inlay is water stained, while my head and board are certainly fancier. I dont see littleneck collar as different. Looks like same head back plate. I count 42 strips in back and think space strips nitro cellulose. No one mentions value. Inside some type of cloth. But I am certainly pleased with this piece. Any more thoughts welcomed

Jim Garber
Jan-05-2013, 12:59am
I was comparing the neck collar of my Maurer with this unlabelled one and the shape is different. Yours is very close to mine in details.

Flybear
Jan-05-2013, 4:20pm
I understand. Thank you, Sir, with great respect.