PDA

View Full Version : My soon to arrive Gypsy Mandocello

Ribak
Jan-02-2013, 11:31pm
So last year I was a grad student and an intern working a project for a local city. Some stuff went wrong with the contract and I accidently worked my way out of some pay. No one thought that I would be that good at what I was doing. So I missed out on some cash BUT my intern directors paid me a bonus out of their own pockets to the tune of $1,000.

At this point I have been looking at mandocellos as a dream and always planned on starting with a mandolin instead because of the cost. BUT THEN! I suddenly had this extra thousand dollars I hadn't planned on and like the good college student that I was I spent it immediately. I called up Walt at Gypsys music and told him that I wanted a teardrop body mandocello with mahogany body and walnut trim.

This is what I have coming in the mail in a couple of days:

I know I've got some challenges coming learning to play this thing. My musical history has been a couple years of piano as a kid, 3 or 4 years plunking around on the guitar and that is about it.

To that end I am making a video log of my progress on youtube. I want to upload a video of 1 or 2 weeks showing off what I have learned and hopefully after 6 months to a year I can really show that you can get somewhere with any instrument if you just practice.

I fell in love with the mandocello because of youtube, I find it really pleasing to think of having my own channel of me playing music that I like.

Thank you Walt! And thank you MandolinCafe for bridging the gap and giving me the confidence to jump into this deep mandocello shaped hole that I had in my life!

:mandosmiley:

Tavy
Jan-03-2013, 5:08am
Keep us up to date how you get on, you should have fun with that! :)

JEStanek
Jan-03-2013, 8:25am
I really love the detail on the instrument by the neck heel. It takes the understated teardrop shape up in class. Bravo and congratulations.

Jamie

Ribak
Jan-03-2013, 6:54pm
Tracking number says it will be here tomorrow. I'm also afflicted with a bad cold. The combination of the two might make me call in sick to work tomorrow night.

Barry Wilson
Jan-06-2013, 7:58pm
I am constantly looking at the mandocellos on this site. can't wait for the review

Ribak
Jan-17-2013, 12:29am
OK so here is a short review-ish thing about it posted in the CBOM forum:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?91913-New-Gypsy-M-cello-Review-ish&p=1123449#post1123449

Only had it for a short time, not a lot to say but just trying to participate.

Pete Jenner
Jan-17-2013, 10:27am
Nice story.