PDA

View Full Version : Greg Bennett mandolin

budashoots
Jan-02-2013, 10:32pm
I have a friend that would like to sell a Greg Bennett Ma-1/vs not sure when it was made. Hardly been played but the strings are a little rusty. What might the worth Be? Is it even worth buying???

Loretta Callahan
Jan-03-2013, 12:01am
How much? I wouldn't pay more than around $150 or so for it. Maybe $100 and invest a little in getting a bone nut and good setup. I still have my first mandolin, Greg Bennett MA 2. It's a great beater mandolin and was just the ticket to begin learning on. The tone is actually quite good for such an inexpensive mandolin. Rusty strings simply means that they need changing.

If you have a bigger budget, say $300 up .... I'd definitely get advice from folks here.

budashoots
Jan-03-2013, 12:15am
Thanks Loretta I was thinking 100.00 and even with the rusty strings it has a good tone. Seems to play well enough. This thing just popped up, I was not in the market but I have it here and am putting new strings on it.

Loretta Callahan
Jan-03-2013, 1:13am
Congratulations, budashoots. That's a good price to see if the mandolin is for you. I've purchased two mandolins since, but won't sell my GB because it's always nice to have a spare for the Grandkids. Glad yours has a nice tone like mine.

If you find it's difficult to play, I'd definitely invest in a setup .... but maybe it was setup already. You'll get a feel for what it might need and when it may be time to upgrade.

Happy plucking!

budashoots
Jan-03-2013, 1:26am
This will be a beater if I buy it putting the strings on now. My loar just needs a companion and I am hoping my daughter will start playing this one. Thanks again.