PDA

View Full Version : A beauty with total attention to detail.....a Lewis

Gary Hedrick
Jan-02-2013, 8:34pm
Here is another rare bird I had the pleasure of being a caretaker for.9602196022960239602496025960269602796028

Dale Ludewig
Jan-02-2013, 8:54pm
Yeow! Bravo.

Cocobolo? Brazilian? Just plain knockout. Michael is one of the best.

JEStanek
Jan-03-2013, 8:32am
Boy, that's a well executed mandolin, there. Could you compare it's tone (and give some specs) for those of us more familiar with the spruce over maple variety, please?

Jamie

lukmanohnz
Jan-03-2013, 9:17am
Stunning!! Audio clips, pretty please??

Stephen Cagle
Jan-03-2013, 9:40am
GOOD LORD that is a beauty!!!!!!!!!!! Whats the tone like??

Cheryl Watson
Jan-03-2013, 9:41am
Classy to the MAX!

Gary Hedrick
Jan-03-2013, 10:31am
Yeow! Bravo.

Cocobolo? Brazilian? Just plain knockout. Michael is one of the best.

Cocobolo.......

Gary Hedrick
Jan-03-2013, 10:36am
Boy, that's a well executed mandolin, there. Could you compare it's tone (and give some specs) for those of us more familiar with the spruce over maple variety, please?

Jamie

Jamie, it was more of a jazz type of sound. Not the in your face power. The body was a little more thin than the classic Gibson body. The balance was very good across the strings and it was a joy to play and to look at. Cheryl is right on about this one....it has head turning looks indeed.

Notice I keep saying was.....I don't own it any more. Seems that it nows resides with a Dr. in California and is in the same home as Dude #12 that I had Lynn build for me.....the mandolin world is small

This instrument was sent to a certain person that was commisioning and buying a blond example of each builders instruments....so a blond Dude, Nugget, Gil, Monty etc etc etc. He sent it back because it had a small indentation on the neck.

Charles E.
Jan-03-2013, 6:22pm
Thanks for sharing that. He sure nailed those violin style F-holes. Fantastic.

bernabe
Jan-03-2013, 6:24pm
Thanks for all the posts. Enjoyed looking at 'em all this morning.

Mandobar
Jan-06-2013, 9:27pm
Gary, I'm getting dizzy looking at all these.....

Londy
Jan-06-2013, 10:52pm
Holy Crap is that an amazing looking instrument! WOW, thanks for sharing.

billhay4
Jan-07-2013, 3:17pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=96021&d=1357176869
I can tell you from making canoe paddles that this is not an easy thing Michael has done: i.e. getting the witness lines of the veneer layers so even.
Beautiful work and beautiful instrument.
Bill

Gary Hedrick
Jan-07-2013, 6:05pm
To all ...you're welcome...I am glad that you found the photos worthwhile.....I had lost all of these photos and finding them brought back a lot of memories of these. .....

I am still looking for additional pictures.....there are 2 Dudenbostels....a Nugget and a couple of more F4's.....and a couple of tenor guitars.....I was just a little bit of an addict......but MASA (Mandolin Aquisition Syndrome Anonymus) helped me greatly with their 12 step plan ;)

Tomy Plunk#er
Jan-07-2013, 7:00pm
Great looking piece you have there, Thanks for sharing the pics.

Steve Ostrander
Jan-07-2013, 7:24pm
One of a kind. Very nice.

Bill Snyder
Jan-10-2013, 9:49am
I have always wanted to see a Lewis mandolin in person.
I have great respect for Mr. Lewis. On another forum before I found the mandolin cafe I was planning my first mandolin build and he was gracious enough to answer all of my questions.

Denny Gies
Jan-10-2013, 10:11am
Yuuuuuuuuuuuup. Words fail me.

Gary Hedrick
Jan-10-2013, 7:07pm
There are some makers that go that extra amount for artistic expression. Michael Lewis , John Monteleone Doug Woodley and Lawerence Smart come to my mind as some of the most artistic statement makers. Arthur Stern has owned a number of these object d'art (I hope I spelled that correctly).......instruments.....as has Glassweb....

The BIG four and Will Kimble all make highly detailed mandolins that are perfection but these art makers take the game in a different direction.....

Michael Lewis
Jan-11-2013, 4:08pm
Gary, thanks for putting those pics up, as you say, they bring back memories.

I pushed at doing the Loar thing so much I am a bit burned out with it, well, not burned out but other design parameters are more interesting to me at this time. For the Healdsburg Guitar Festival next August I am making a couple mandolins rather than guitars. (Not f models) A black top Ritz similar to the one I made for The Acoustic Music Co. but with an oval hole, and a symmetrical two point from some old walnut wood I found.