PDA

View Full Version : Blond Woodley's

Gary Hedrick
Jan-02-2013, 6:56pm
I have been fortunate enough over the years to own some very nice instruments. I took pictures of them but misplaced the files. I have been cleaning up my tape area, hard drives and CD's and have found a number of pictures that might be of interest so I will post them in a few threads in this topic.

Here is a matching set of blond Woodleys......an F5 and F4 that I kept in a Mark Leaf case...

Gary Hedrick
Jan-02-2013, 6:58pm

Jim Hilburn
Jan-02-2013, 7:03pm
From someone who has done it a few times, that neck joint shot will make you feel all tingly.

sgarrity
Jan-02-2013, 9:52pm
Dang Gary.......you've had some nice ones!! I've always wanted a matched pair in a double case.

SternART
Jan-02-2013, 11:42pm
I once had a nice blonde birdseye A model.........Doug Woodley is a very skilled luthier!

Gary Hedrick
Jan-03-2013, 10:44am
Dang Gary.......you've had some nice ones!! I've always wanted a matched pair in a double case.

"chuckle".......yeah Shaun that was always my fantasy......and these two were really really nicely done. He is a precision builder.

Gary Hedrick
Jan-03-2013, 10:46am
I once had a nice blonde birdseye A model.........Doug Woodley is a very skilled luthier!

I thought I knew you had one.........to those that don't know it, Arthur is a stained glass master artist. His eye for the aesthics of an instrument is second to none and he has owned some real beauties.

Yes Doug Woodley is an artist.

SternART
Jan-03-2013, 12:08pm
Thanks Gary........I believe we both owned that black topped long neck Woodley F2 at one time too.
I traded it to Will Kimble who had played it at one of your jam sessions. I'm not sure where
it went next.

Gary Hedrick
Jan-03-2013, 1:38pm
Arthur, it went to Cottom Music and from there who knows....they don't have a record of who bought it.....I have another thread about that one where I am trying to find it.

Jim Garber
Jan-03-2013, 3:21pm
Has anyone been in touch with Doug Woodley? Will he build again?

This is more Woodley instruments than I have ever heard of. I played the black F2 when Will had it -- as i noted on the other thread, it was one of the best modern oval holed mandolins I have ever played. I played that one for prob a half hour and wish I had the cash at the time to buy it.

I have also played a mandola he built and an F5 copy. I have seen Marilynn's L&H copy but never played it.

SternART
Jan-03-2013, 8:02pm
I had a very nice F5 Woodley too.........it lives in NY now. There is a lefty F5 out there too. I saw an ad, probably here on the Cafe for a more recent mandola.

Will Kimble has been in touch with him over the years, as I recall he was doing some building again. I hope so, nice fella and a great builder. We had a pickin' party in my studio back in the day where he was the guest of honor. Paul Ebersman who was involved with Rigel at the time brought Doug.

Glassweb
Jan-03-2013, 9:29pm
Dang Gary.......you've had some nice ones!!

Shaun, ya took the words out of my brain... YEAH... he's had some good ones!

djeffcoat
Jan-04-2013, 11:35pm
I had a very nice F5 Woodley too.........it lives in NY now. There is a lefty F5 out there too.

I have a lefty Woodley F5 that's dated Feb 22, 2000 (that's 02/22/2000). I ordered it from Doug through the Twelfth Fret in Toronto. Same batch of woods as the F5 above. It lives in Texas and I would not even think of selling it.