PDA

View Full Version : DGBX at Freight & Salvage, Berkeley, CA

lukmanohnz
Dec-28-2012, 4:04am
Just got home from seeing DGBX live in Berkeley. Awesome show - first time I've seen Grisman live as a headliner (only other time was a brief guest appearance during a Tony Rice Unit concert). The whole show was highlights. Brought my daughter and she loved it too. The second set was a tribute to Doc, all material that Dawg said was being polished for an upcoming album to honor Doc's legacy. Any other cafe members at the show?

lukmanohnz
Dec-28-2012, 10:43am
Somewhat unrelated to the initial topic of this thread, but I'll post this here rather than start a new thread. I'm not generally a fan of these 'Ken Burns'-style, still-image montage videos to accompany a song, but I thought this one was nicely done. A version of Wild Horses by OAITW that I hadn't heard before:

http://youtu.be/VA35Oozc8NM

SternART
Dec-28-2012, 3:02pm
I was there last night........it was a great show! I wonder if tonight is sold out yet?
It was good enough to consider going again.

Pretty cool second set with all the Doc material.........that will be a CD to look forward to! I liked when they broke out the Gilchrist mandola for Keith Little to play. The Loar mando & Gil dola sounded great together. Grisman played dola on the next tune. The whole band played great but I'm impressed with the growth young Sam Grisman has shown on bass, he had numerous solo opportunities during the show and shined on them all. I'm looking forward to heating his other band The Deadly Gentlemen when they hit the Freight in Feb. on their way to Wintergrass.

David can play the traditional BG when he wants to.......and in the first set of hard core BG he kept it pretty straight, almost quoting licks the first generation BGers might play. In the 2nd set he stretched it out a bit........I love how he'll put mini-quotations that sound Monroe-ish within a solo and then rip a Dawg-ish ending to the break...........respectful to the genre, but also showing his chops. And speaking of chops I love the way he drives this band with his rhythm, it was another memorable night of music at the Freight & Salvage. Next month the David Grisman Sextet will be there, playing Dawg music next time. I'll be there!

lukmanohnz
Dec-28-2012, 5:47pm
And speaking of chops I love the way he drives this band with his rhythm, it was another memorable night of music at the Freight & Salvage.

Absolutely - I focused a lot of my attention on Dawg's rhythm playing. That was a master class in rhythm work. And I second your comments on Sam's bass work. He's got a bright future ahead of him. Wish I could make the sextet show. Sadly, I am going to have to skip that one.

Sid Simpson
Dec-29-2012, 3:26am
Just back from the Friday night show, and echo all that's been said. It was sold out, as well, and the music was marvelous. Sounds like pretty much the same format, strait BG followed by Doc Watson. Awesome bass playing, masterful rhythm as well as lead, and some pretty impressive vocal work from the band, especially Keith Little.

I picked up tickets for the DG Sextet show next month as part of the Gypsy Jazz program. Should be an opportunity for Dawg to show yet another side.

Marty Henrickson
Dec-29-2012, 3:58pm
Sounds like a great show. I can't wait to hear the Dawg's tribute to Doc. I own the Doc & Dawg CD, as well as the Vestapol DVD of the two in concert together. It is evident that they were great friends, and I'm sure that Grisman's tribute to Doc will be well thought-out, and not just a money-grab.