PDA

View Full Version : For you guitar lovers of Roy Rogers A gift from Doyle

f5loar
Dec-27-2012, 9:53pm
That's right. Doyle (Mr. Quicksilver)Lawson is selling his prized limited edition R&T Roy Rogers Custom guitar. What a beauty and what a price. Please wipe screen after viewing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROY-ROGERS-TRIBUTE-GUITAR-OWNED-BY-DOYLE-LAWSON-/200871008318?pt=Guitar&hash=item2ec4d8583e

Charles E.
Dec-27-2012, 11:16pm
I would have a hard time pulling the Trigger on that one.......

sorry, it had to be said.

pickloser
Dec-28-2012, 8:58am
I don't know about mint, though. I thought I saw a chip in Dale.

. . .didn't have to be said, but I did it anyway.

Darryl Wolfe
Dec-28-2012, 10:35am
I doubt anyone gets "Rich" over this one. But it is "Taylor" made for the collectors

f5loar
Dec-28-2012, 12:19pm
Happy Trails to that!

Willie Poole
Dec-28-2012, 12:50pm
I went back and read it a few times, "Over $12,000 in materials alone"...They must have bought the whole Brazillian rosewood tree and used solid gold hardware....I dunno....

sgarrity
Dec-28-2012, 1:28pm
I think he'll be keeping that one for awhile!

doc holiday
Dec-28-2012, 1:39pm
I was thinking it would be a Martin OM-45....
that's one expensive Taylor....
it's fishing season....maybe Doyle L needs another Nudie suit...

fernmando
Dec-28-2012, 3:24pm
...but this guitar is much shinier than one of those ugly 40s D18s and 28s, and it has a bigger, fancier bridge.

Roscoe Morgan
www.roscoemorgan.com

journeybear
Dec-28-2012, 3:33pm
It shore is purty, but that's a lot of moolah for a gussied-up guitar. Some pretty spectacular gussying-up, you bet, but all that frillery don't make it sound no purtier. Sorta begs the definition of "gift" thar, pardner!

My Dad purchased this guitar in 1994 and has not played this guitar out at all and only a handful of times at home ... The guitar plays great ... This guitar is not simply a show piece, It is a player ... This guitar is owned by Doyle Lawson ...

So it has been played, it hasn't been played, it's a player but it isn't being played ... what? It's just sitting around for 18 years? Is the seller's dad Doyle Lawson or someone else? Something seems a bit off with this one. But it is nice to look at ... Now, if it came with spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle ...

re simmers
Dec-28-2012, 8:43pm
Everyone's taste is unique. To me, it looks like something in the toy tractor dept at Tractor Supply. Someone went a little wild with the cowboy stickers!

Can't you buy a Paganoni for that price....with some left over for a The Loar?

Charles E.
Dec-28-2012, 9:39pm
Who are Rich and Taylor?

Phil Goodson
Dec-28-2012, 10:52pm
Mark Taylor (Tut's son) of Tennessee Crafters & Greg Rich of Blueridge guitars ??????

Martin Jonas
Dec-29-2012, 12:36am
Might be worth also linking the video of Doyle Lawson playing this beast that goes with the auction:

pQlbGJPhVxw

While this doesn't justify the price tag (and the recording process may not do the guitar's tone any favours), it does at least provide pretty convincing evidence that the auction is genuine.

Martin

Dobe
Dec-29-2012, 1:15am
Mark Taylor (Tut's son) of Tennessee Crafters & Greg Rich of Blueridge guitars ??????

I had one of the earlier R&T banjos, and thought Greg Rich was formerly with Gibson banjos. ?

Jack Roberts
Dec-29-2012, 2:40am
I grew up on Roy Rogers. The neighbor kid had a hat that when he took it off a cap gun popped out and fired just like the one Roy Rogers had in the tv shows. I so wanted one of those hats. If I had the money I'd buy that guitar just to make up for not having the hat...

f5loar
Dec-29-2012, 8:09am
Those Ideal hats will set you back $200 today or $350 in the 1958 box. I still have mine! I even got a Nudie suit and hat that Roy wore in the 60's.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-30-2012, 6:06am
I believe that Greg Rich did indeed work for the Gibson Co.in it's custom shop for quite a while.Apart from his partnership with Mark taylor,he was also 'instrumental' (no pun intended) in helping set up the new plant in China,for the manufacture & assembly of the 'new issue' Gold Star banjos for the Saga Co.,which i think also involved him with the Blueridge guitars,
Ivan

Mandolin Mick
Dec-30-2012, 7:08am
Hey, that's one cool looking guitar! And it was great to see Doyle picking on it! :)

Michael Eck
Dec-30-2012, 10:25am
Greg Rich is also the moving force behind The Loar brand line. His key role in all of these places has been as a designer. He's the one who makes things pretty; and he has created some beautiful, if occasionally blingy, instruments.

Rob Gerety
Dec-30-2012, 10:50am
Brings back memories -

Mandolin Mick
Dec-30-2012, 11:44am
As cool as that is, I have my eye on the Martin OM-45 like the one Roy's playing here. His sold for $460,000. There's one on Ebay right now and they generally fetch what Doyle's asking for the other one.
:(

Mandolin Mick
Dec-30-2012, 11:47am
Here's a photo that you can blow up for detail! :)

Miko
Dec-30-2012, 12:54pm
I would have a hard time pulling the Trigger on that one.......

sorry, it had to be said.

Go ahead and bite the Bullet. Don't stand Pat.

nrand
Dec-30-2012, 9:16pm
Roy must be over the hill by now but I doubt if he is over Dale.