PDA

View Full Version : Newbie!

Trelvania
Dec-26-2012, 4:23pm
Hi All!
New here to the world of the Mandolin and wanted to say hi and get to know some of the fine folks who can help a beginner out.
I was lucky enough to get a nice used Fender mandolin (FM-53S) at a recycled music store over the weekend as my x-mas present from my husband and am going slowly since it's been @ least 20 years since I played guitar and have to get my fingers back to not crying after playing for 20 minutes. :) I am trying to learn the first basic 5 chords and now need to come to long time players for some help.
I can not figure out how to do the open E chord (which is shown as middle finger on g string 4th fret, index finger on D and A second fret). My index finger can't cover it and when I lay it flat I hit the E string. Is there a link somewhere here or could be recommended for alternative fingerings for people with little fingers? I am beginning to think I need a 6th finger or another hand to pull off this chord. :))

Thanks for any help you can point me to. I am looking forward to my foray into the world of the mandolin and having some good guides to help me along my way.
Trel

allenhopkins
Dec-26-2012, 4:37pm
You can cover the 2nd and 3rd strings at the second fret with your middle and ring fingers, then hit the 4th string at the 1st fret with your index finger. You get a G# instead of a B on the 4th string, but that's still a note in the E chord.

Not everyone can cover two adjacent strings with the pad of a single finger.

Trelvania
Dec-27-2012, 4:59pm
Thank you thank you! I knew there had to be some alternate way to make the same sound & with it being one of the first main chords to learn, it's a little off putting to see one's hand can't do that. I only just checked this, so spent sometime last night still trying to work my hands around that other position. Not only did my hand cramp, but so did my brain. :p

Again, many thanks

mandroid
Dec-27-2012, 11:09pm
another E Maj

[index] on the b on the A string
another b on the G string [middle finger]
g# on the D string (i use the pinky) is the 3rd of the chord,
so back 1 fret is the minor, e- chord
the high E rings open

a barre chord E is barring the middle 2,
then forming a shape like the open d, at the 4th fret .
the b on the g string and the G# is on the E,

look at the other open string chords you learned
the C and the G, they too can be re finger assigned
to make movable barre chords ..