PDA

View Full Version : New mandolin for Christmas? Check the set up! (free offer)

Rob Meldrum
Dec-26-2012, 9:14am
Hi there, fellow mandolin lovers. If you got a nice, shiny mandolin for Christmas but it didn't come with a professional set up, get my (free) ebook to learn how to check your set up and address common set up issues.

How do you know your mandolin needs to be set up? If it hurts to fret the strings on the lower frets - you need a better set up. If it hurts to fret the strings on the higher frets - you need a better set up. If the pitch on the strings goes flat or sharp as you move up the fretboard - you need a better set up. If your strings don't respond to minor tuning adjustments, then suddenly screech and jump up in pitch while you are turning the tuning gear - you need a better set up.

Learn how to use a set of feeler gauges (I just bought a set at Pep Boys this week for eight dollars) to measure your string height at the first and twelfth frets to determine your action, then use the feeler gauges to make your own custom nut saws to properly lower the nut slots. Learn how to lower the bridge/saddle to get the action just right at the higher frets. Learn how to intonate your mandolin (it's easier than it sounds).

And the cost? Free to all mandolincafe members. Why? Because I figured out that if I tried to sell the ebook for ten dollars per copy it would cost me more to put together a website and payment system than I would ever get back!

Email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com, have "mandolin set up" in the subject line, and send me a short request. I'll send you a link to the ebook (it's a pdf file) and a couple of before and after videos. I'm on vacation right now with irregular access to email, but I will respond within a couple of days.

Wishing all of you a very Happy New Year,

Rob -- aka robster

Russ Donahue
Dec-27-2012, 5:48pm
Even if you don't want to do any of the work yourself, its a great way to learn more about your instrument. And, you can't beat the price! Thanks for the gift Rob.

Pasha Alden
Jan-02-2013, 8:17am
Hi Rob, I think I wrote a note of thanks on General mandolin discussions - but should this elude you here it goes again.
Many thanks for the guide. I found the section on internation of help and thought provoking.

Incidentally, from playing guitar I also find that I hear strings that are out of tune better when playing a chord like G or C. I have perfect pitch, so it helps.

My thanks again for the guide and helpful videos.

Vanillamandolin

oldwave
Jan-02-2013, 10:09am
Thank you so much for my copy. It's very well done.

andre66
Jan-03-2013, 10:53pm
This looks like a very well done manual, thank you for the time and effort.
Andre

ggplayer
Jan-04-2013, 9:40pm
Email request sent.
Thanks so much!
Gianni

rvoissem
Jan-06-2013, 6:57am
Thanks for the book, havent had a need to make or use a set of home made nut files yet but it looks like a good idea.

Rick.

Milan Christi
Jan-06-2013, 11:20am
Thank you, Rob! The book is for real - much more detailed and thorough than I expected. I believe I'll give this a try - my fear has abated thanks to you!

lloving
Jan-06-2013, 11:14pm
Rob
Thanks for all your work very well done.

brent1308
Jan-10-2013, 1:45pm
Yes, I also want to thank you. My Kentucky sounds better than ever after following your advice!

Ronny
Nov-12-2013, 8:38am
Very interesting e-book ! It's really a good book to start with if you want to set up your mando !

Bluetickhound
Nov-12-2013, 9:56am
My request also sent. Thanks for the offer! I can't wait to see how my $35 Ibanez responds to it's impending set up. It's ok enough now but I'm sure it could be a lot better and for the $$ i (don't) have invested in this instrument it is anperfect candidate to learn on. I have a Nichols Road that will be in my hands come March and even though I'm sure Bruce already has it ready to roll knowing how to do any work later can only be helpful.

Consecon
Nov-12-2013, 8:52pm
Request sent. I can't wait to check this out.
Thank you Robster

Bluetickhound
Nov-13-2013, 10:28am
Got my ebook this morning. I'm about to get fired if I don't get back to work!! Seriously though, i'm about halfway through reading (yes, I know.... Get back to work...) but this book is really not only well written and engaging, the info is absolutely essential for anyone who wants to be as well rounded and knowledgeable about not only their music but the instrument that produces that music as possible... Thanks again Rob! I can't wait to get home and apply what I'm learning today on my own instrument.

This book is probably most useful for those if us who cannot justify spending thousands of dollars on an instrument... I imagine the $300-$700 range of mandolins would be the sweet spot for making maximum improvement in the sound and playability of a mandolin.

Consecon
Nov-13-2013, 12:37pm
I went straight to the sections that I was most concerned with on my new, first mandolin. Wow, you really need to read this before you buy either mandolin or set up tools. The money you set aside for a setup or tools, could be used to buy a better quality instrument.
I'll start reading at the beginning and read carefully before I make any adjustments, but I just wanted to thank Rob now for creating and sharing this document.
Thank you Rob

AlaskanDan
Nov-14-2013, 7:50pm
Rob,

Thank you very much for offering such a great product, you are very generous.

My setup will begin tonight, and thanksto you, hopefully ill finally be able to make it play better.

AlaskanDan
Nov-17-2013, 4:56am
After careful reading, and re-reading of the setup guide, and 2 nights after the wife and kids went to sleep, my mandolin is finally set up. I have an Epiphone M-50 that just never met my expectations.

After tuning it properly, it plays like a dream. The bridge took a lot of work, but sounds fantastic now. I nearly goofed up on cutting the nut, I cut .002 further than I meant to, but I had added in a .002 fudge factor just in case I screwed up, so it ended up being absolutely perfect.

Because I nearly killed the nut, the only recommendation I would have is a short paragraph on how to replace the nut if you accidentally cut too much.

Rob did an absolutely fantastic job on this guide.

Bluetickhound
Nov-17-2013, 8:42am
I actually DID cut the nut a shade too deep on the E course but i snuck a shim underneath to get it right at .011.

Polecat
Nov-17-2013, 9:05am
Rob sent me a beta version of his ebook back in 2011, which gave me the information I needed to set up my Eastman 504. I've just got my hands on the finished product and what can I say? using this resource, anyone who hasn't got two left hands can set their own instrument up exactly as they like it - the instructions are clear, concise and objective. The tools needed are inexpensive and easily available. Thanks very much, Rob, for making this available.

Rob Meldrum
Dec-25-2013, 9:30am
I'll bump this thread for Christmas, 2013. Merry Christmas, everyone! Robster

mdavis00
Dec-25-2013, 6:35pm
Many thanks! Especially from the poor, abused Martin that I've been trying to adjust the action on...

MaggieMae
Dec-27-2013, 10:20am
I sent my request this morning. Thank you so much for offering this!

AlaskanDan
Dec-28-2013, 5:02am
Rob,

Once again I was able to use your guide to set up a new mandolin. I just got the same Rogue that you used inthe book. I had some serious fret leveling issues, but many thanks to the guys on the forum, I was able to use a trued sharpening stone, a 3 suded file, and a lot of careful time to level and crown the frets (did you have the same issues with the Rogue). After the frets were leveled and crowned, the buzzing had stopped, but the mandolin still sounded dull. I performed the full setup and it is sounding a thousand times better.

Thank you so much for providing this resource for us. Hopefully my upcoming 18 month trip away from my family will be much more enjoyable now that I have a decent playing mandolin that I dont have to worry about keeping pretty.

God Bless,
Dan

Francis J
Dec-28-2013, 5:29am
Rob, let me join in the ranks of grateful café members who have received your e-book. It's a fantastic resource. Thank you for sharing. Have a great New Year Rob!
Kindest Regards,
Frank

Graham Vest
Dec-28-2013, 11:56am
Just got mine! Thanks so much Rob. It looks very thorough and informative!

Graham

ferretmummy
Dec-29-2013, 5:42pm
Just adding my thanks to Rob for the e-book. It's very informative and now I officially have my mandolin I can actually refer to the instrument while reading!