PDA

View Full Version : Kingston Bowlback?

drjlove
Dec-19-2012, 9:39am
Hello All,

I've been interested in buying a bowlback for a while and came across this instrument on the local Craigslist ads.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/3467838950.html

It's stamped "Kingston" on the peghead and seems like it could be worth a go for a buck and a quarter... Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not this would be a decent candidate for a "starter" bowlback? Or, should I pass and keep looking for something else?

Thanks!

-Joe

Schlegel
Dec-19-2012, 10:07am
This is one of the Japanese labels that seems the same as the more common Suzuki. If it's in playable shape, you can't really expect to pay less. The sound will likely not be super-impressive, as these usually are somewhat over-built, but you'll be able to learn to handle the shape. (you can get advice in the Classical forum) And the extra sturdiness at least means they don't tend to be broken. The examples I've seen came with a really high action from the factory, so expect to do a setup.

drjlove
Dec-19-2012, 10:17am
Thanks you for your reply Schlegel. It seems like it may be worth a trip over to check it out if the guy answers my email.

-Joe

Jim Garber
Dec-19-2012, 11:48am
Agree with Schlegel. That price is certainly right and it looks like it has an older vintage canvas case which are not too easy to find.

drjlove
Dec-20-2012, 1:32pm
Thanks for the replies Schlegel and Jim Garber. I went ahead and bought the bowlback. It seemed to be in serviceable condition with no cracks, rib seperations, and a straight neck. Frets seemed OK. I noticed the bridge sems to be made from rosewood or another "tone wood of unknown origin". The case was in OK condition but the top no longer latches.

From the strings that were on it (decrepit and in desperate need of replacement) it will most definitely need a good set-up. The action was very high. I ordered some extra light gauge strings (GHS A240s) to put on it. I will take it to the local folk instrument shop for a set-up. Who knows, It may end up being a playable instrument afterwards??

Appreciate your input and Merry Christmas!

Jim Garber
Dec-20-2012, 3:09pm
You may not need the extra lights on those. As noted by Schlegel, they are usually overbuilt. I would imagine lights would be fine. You may want to experiment.